Revenge of the Mummy Opens in Spring 2004 at Universal Studios Florida

pheneix

Original Poster
God, I've been waiting for this announcement for half a year...

>>>Billed as "psychological thrill ride," Mummy will hurtle passengers through Egyptian sets, chambers, passageways and tombs in vehicles that move backward and forward. During the ride, which will last about five minutes, riders will pass through a "ceiling of flame" that hovers inches above them and encounter a skeleton warrior who leaps on the rider's vehicle. The skeleton uses technology similar to that of the Mars robotic range vehicle.

"It's different than anything we've done before," said Scott Trowbridge, vice president of design and creative development for Universal Parks & Resorts. "This will create a whole new threshold for theme park attractions."

To help create an authentic environment, from golden amulets to "Canopic Jars" containing the remains of royalty, Universal's ride producers traveled to Egypt and The British Museum in London. Universal designers also worked with the German firm Kouka, which makes robots for cars, to develop some of the robotic mummies.<<<

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...51703may17,0,817593.story?coll=orl-home-promo

AndyMagic

WHOOHOOOO!!! Did anyone else notice the part where it said it would go backwards and forwards?? Looks like Expedition Everest won't be as unique as everyone thought when it opens. I can't wait! Also, it is amazing how it will open in Spring of 2004! That is mighty quick even though they have been working on it since January of this year. It's a perfect example that a massive ride doesn't take 3 1/2 years like Disney's new additions. Winnie the Pooh at Disneyland took longer to build than The Mummy!! Is Disney's construction crew comprised of an old elderly couple that require frequent naps?

pheneix

Original Poster
>>>Looks like Expedition Everest won't be as unique as everyone thought when it opens.<<<

The turntables and such that provide that feature are not new at all. They were part of the original plans for the Big Thunder coaster when it was part of the Western River Expidition project.

>>>Winnie the Pooh at Disneyland took longer to build than The Mummy!!<<<

They had to do a lot of structural work to the old Country Bear theaters to provide a sound surface for the dark ride to stay on. Anyone who has studied the Bears theater knows that it has an absolutely massive basement under it to provide room for the animatronics and their repairs, replacements, etc. The actual construction of the Pooh ride was fairly quick.

Universal had an absolutely godsend with the Kong and ET soundstages. Hardly any of the complicated engineering challenges that Disney had to face with Pooh are not present here, so it allowed them to allocate a lot of spending towards the development and set design.

BTW, did anyone see how extensive the use of animatronics will be in this ride? Long live animatronics!

orlandouk

this sounds amazing

This ride sounds excellent i cant wait for it to open when its says opening spring 2004 im going on may 1st until the 14th will it be open by then?

The_CEO

Originally posted by Merlin0402
Does anyone have a picture of the new wall out front?

kong_four.jpg

pheneix

Original Poster
Here is the official press release for the ride. Kudos to Kuribo at the DIS for passing this around:

For Immediate Release

UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD
AND UNIVERSAL ORLANDO
TO BRING PHENOMENALLY POPULAR
MUMMY MOVIES
ROARING TO LIFE VIA MOST ADVANCED
THRILL RIDE EVER CONCEIVED:
“REVENGE OF THE MUMMY”

Over Ten Years In Development,
Mummy Will Be First Indoor Ride In History
To Fuse Roller Coaster Technology, Space Age Robotics
And “Live” Pyrotechnic Special Effects

Guests Will Hurtle Through Authenticated Egyptian Sets,
Chambers, Passageways And Tombs In
“Psychological Thrill Ride”
Serving As Latest Sequel In Mummy Franchise

UNIVERSAL CITY, CALIFORNIA, UNIVERSAL ORLANDO, FLORIDA (May 19, 2003) -- Based on the phenomenally popular “Mummy” films that have grossed nearly $1 billion worldwide and heralding a new era in thrill rides, Universal Studios ride designers have unveiled plans for “Revenge Of The Mummy” – the first attraction in history to feature an unprecedented fusion of threshold technology, high-speed roller coaster engineering and space age robotics to propel guests through authenticated ancient Egyptian catacombs and “live” pyrotechnic effects.

Ten years in research and development, the indoor thrill ride, that will debut simultaneously next year at both Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando, will also integrate design concepts by visionary Stephen Sommers, who reinvigorated the classic Universal monster film “The Mummy” in 1999’s worldwide smash and its even more popular sequel in 2001, both of which he wrote and directed.
(more)

Revenge Of The Mummy – 2

“This really is the latest evolution for the entire ride industry,” said Scott Trowbridge, vice president of design and creative development for Universal Parks & Resorts. “The ‘Revenge Of The Mummy’ ride is the next threshold attraction in our industry – there is no other ride like it anywhere.”

Indeed, the design and construction of the ride marks an unparalleled collaboration between a director and producers from the worlds of moviemaking and theme park design. Sommer’s longtime creative partner, Bob Ducsay, also applied extensive creative input into the ride.

Unique methodology in theming and technical elements for the ride have been conceived by the combined team resulting in a unique “High Velocity Show Immersion System” that completely engulfs the riders’ senses in the eerily-haunted world of “Revenge Of The Mummy.”

The ride will also possess the most advanced animatronics ever engineered, elaborately staged “dark ride scenes” and a revolutionary new ride track employing new linear induction motors to create a series of visual, visceral and motion-based effects that will continually surprise guests while drawing them into Sommers’ immersive storylines that have thrilled hundreds of millions of movie-goers worldwide.

“This is really a thrill for me,” Sommers said. “I am really energized to have the world of ‘The Mummy’ films turned into a thrilling, scary, scream-worthy ride. This is in many ways, the next sequel of ‘The Mummy,’ and one that I personally can’t wait to experience firsthand.

“I am especially happy that it extends my successful partnership with Universal into a new and exciting area.”

In two of the world’s largest sound stages, unsuspecting guests will be swept into a terrifying underworld of ancient Egypt awash in deadly curses, powerful forces of nature and vengeful creatures intent on wreaking havoc. Adding to the terror will be the mystery of two of the ride’s scenes, which will not be made public until the attraction debuts.

The same technology employed in futuristic magnetic levitation trains now being unveiled will be utilized in the ride launch system. Among the ride’s many unprecedented design elements, magnetic propulsion launch wave systems will be employed throughout the experience, thrusting riders forward, backward and forward again.
(more)

Revenge Of The Mummy – 3

In the midst of such dynamic motion, the riders will also be subjected to a one-of-a-kind “ceiling of flame” – with undulating flames akin to a brain fire that will hover only inches above them at temperatures soaring to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

“Revenge Of The Mummy” themed elements will be the most elaborate ever created for a thrill ride experience. Universal’s ride producers have traveled to Egypt and The British Museum to assure the authenticity of the ride’s shadowy, curse-ridden interior environment that will range from glistening golden amulets to dusty “Canopic Jars” containing the grisly remains of the haunted long-deceased royalty portrayed in the ride.

Other dramatic elements will include objects and figures that startlingly materialize. Contrasting lighting effects will alter light levels from daytime ambience to total darkness. The number and quality of the ride’s fast-paced scenic effects will be unparalleled in theme park history and the experience from inside each of the ride’s cars will vary. Riders may experience different scenic elements each time they ride.

Utilizing engineering techniques gleaned from the Mars robotic range vehicle, the attraction will include a skeleton warrior who, in the midst of defending the twilight world of his netherworld tomb, literally leaps into the rider’s vehicle.

“When we conceived of attractions like ‘Back To The Future’ ‘T2-3D’ and ‘The Adventures of Spiderman,’ ” Trowbridge said, “we envisioned that there was yet another level to enthrall our guests. We researched and integrated technology from a multitude of areas and then searched for the right story to make this ride leap to life. ‘Revenge Of The Mummy’ accomplishes that.”

This new ride continues Universal Studios’ successful tradition of creating attractions from its own library of hit films, including “E.T.,” “Back To The Future” and “Backdraft,” all of which have become popular attractions at its theme parks.

# # #

Media Contacts:

Jim Yeager Susan Lomax Eliot Sekuler
Universal Parks and Resorts Universal Orlando Universal Studios Hollywood
(818) 777-1047 (407) 363-8220 (818) 622-6896

AndyMagic

Thanks for posting that Pheniex! I have a question:

Utilizing engineering techniques gleaned from the Mars robotic range vehicle, the attraction will include a skeleton warrior who, in the midst of defending the twilight world of his netherworld tomb, literally leaps into the rider’s vehicle.

How is this going to be possible considering the ride system is a coaster train?? The animatronic can't interact with each of the cars on the train so how will this work? Is the rumor about it launching one ride vehicle at a time true or is there something else at work here?

Big Pooh

Originally posted by pheneix
>>>Universal had an absolutely godsend with the Kong and ET soundstages. Hardly any of the complicated engineering challenges that Disney had to face with Pooh are not present here, so it allowed them to allocate a lot of spending towards the development and set design.

BTW, did anyone see how extensive the use of animatronics will be in this ride? Long live animatronics!

The mummy coaster is taking over the Kong AND ET soundstages? How much space are we talking here? Also, how many stories are the soundstages? I'm wondering if I can look forward to any big drops. I just love the feeling of leaving my stomach, among other things :animwink: , at the top of the lift hill. I'm looking forward to this ride a lot. I don't know if they can top Spiderman or not, but it'll be fun watching them try. :) :sohappy:

Cheers :wave:

MonkeyHead

Originally posted by AndyMagic
Thanks for posting that Pheniex! I have a question:

How is this going to be possible considering the ride system is a coaster train?? The animatronic can't interact with each of the cars on the train so how will this work? Is the rumor about it launching one ride vehicle at a time true or is there something else at work here?

They are, for all intents and purposes, coaster show vehicles. The LIM propulsion systems located thrughout the ride will enable the vehicles to slow, stop and maintain constant speeds wherever the designers see fit. The ride is not going to be completely high speed.

Al

Just out of interest, do you think they will majorly change the ride entrance/facade? If I remember correctly, it reminds me of a part of the mummy film.

blm07

Originally posted by Big Pooh
The mummy coaster is taking over the Kong AND ET soundstages? How much space are we talking here? Also, how many stories are the soundstages? I'm wondering if I can look forward to any big drops. I just love the feeling of leaving my stomach, among other things :animwink: , at the top of the lift hill. I'm looking forward to this ride a lot. I don't know if they can top Spiderman or not, but it'll be fun watching them try. :) :sohappy:

Its not taking over both becuase Kong and E.T. are across the park. It must be taking over E.T. in Hollywood. Question: is Kong in Hollywood?

Big Pooh

Originally posted by blm07
Its not taking over both becuase Kong and E.T. are across the park. It must be taking over E.T. in Hollywood. Question: is Kong in Hollywood?

If I'm not Mistaken, Kong is on the Backlot Tour in Hollywood.

AndyMagic

Originally posted by MonkeyHead
They are, for all intents and purposes, coaster show vehicles. The LIM propulsion systems located thrughout the ride will enable the vehicles to slow, stop and maintain constant speeds wherever the designers see fit. The ride is not going to be completely high speed.
I understand that. My question was if the ride would consist of individual cars or a regular coaster train. The promo photo that Universal released makes it seem like a regular train and I am wondering how the skeleton can jump on each of the cars.

Testtrack321

Originally posted by pheneix

I agree, go auto. But lets hope they arn't the siezure like AA at Cat in the Hat...

CTXRover

Originally posted by AndyMagic
WHOOHOOOO!!! Did anyone else notice the part where it said it would go backwards and forwards?? Looks like Expedition Everest won't be as unique as everyone thought when it opens.

This ride looks amazing!! As for the ride going forward and backward, it is obviously difficult to know what each will do without being the one's who designed it :)lol: ), but it sounds like Everest will actually move throughout large portions of the ride both forward and backward without crossing the same track while Mummy will move the train forward and backward on the same track (i.e push the car forward then suddenly backward and then forward again, as if you are being drawn into the temple against your will). Just my take on what I've read, I could be wrong :)

Its also easy to see several similarities between Mummy and Everest. Mummy will use a fire ceiling (which I am incredibly anxious to see :) )while Everest will have portions of the ride that snow on you (using the old fire and ice comparison :lol: ). Mummy will use animatronics that get close to the guests (actually jump on cars) and Everest will have Yeti(s) that are reported to get as close to guests as humanly possible.

I think both of these will revolutionize the themeing used in coasters. I'm excited about both!!!. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom