News Reusable shopping bags now available at all Walt Disney World owned and operated merchandise locations

Goofyque'

Are you asking how is it a money grab? You have to pay for them, don't you? I'm not against this, I'm just saying they're going into the trash when I get home, just like the plastic. I would like a way to recycle them.
If you truly want a way to recycle them, I know the local charitable thrift stores would love to have them!

MrPromey

Disney has created a new thing to collect. Just think 3 bags for each park, Disney Springs and the World of Disney and the resorts.. That makes 21 bags for my wife to buy. Then if they were smart Disney would come out with different bags for each resort and issue new ones every quarter. Think of how much they will make. Fortunately, the bags came out the last day we were there so my wife only purchased 3. That leaves 18 for our next trip unless they come out with a new Epcot series on April.

Don't give them ideas! If these go the way of pins, in 10 years, these bags will be $11 each with the LE ones going for $15+. We'll lose small attractions like the Tiki Room to dedicated bag "stations" and dogs and cats will start sleeping with each other! 🤦

MrPromey

Our local Disney store does not have any plastic. None. Buy the standard size reusable tote for a buck or two (only one size available) or purchase a much larger, but also much nicer, padded nylon tote for around $10, I believe. It’s actually a great size-you could literally use it as a carryon, but is a one time purchase type of thing.

When it first went into effect people were stunned. Since the store is in a mall, many just put their purchases in a bag they already had while others seemed to like the bag/totes. There was an adjustment but in all my hours spent in the store (don’t judge, :cautious:) I’ve never heard a tantrum or someone just saying forget it, I don’t want to buy......

It is weird walking out of the store with a mug or picture frame tucked neatly in my purse, paid for, of course. But still feels wrong. :joyfull:

it's also kind of weird going to the mall with your reusable Disney store tote bag folded and tucked under your arm - especially if like, most people, the Disney store isn't the only place you expect to go while there.

They know this, of course which is why they price the basic semi-unattractive ones on the low end. It's enough for them to make a little money but cheap enough not to warrant a lot of complaints and for people that decide to tuck something in their purse or to stick it in another store's bag, that's one normal cost of doing business (the regular plastic or paper bag) that they no longer have to worry about and instead of looking cheap, they can market it as environmentally concious.

On the consumer end, it's a relatively small financial change but network-wide across all the stores, the elimination of a cost and the addition of a small retail opportunity in its place has, I'm sure, helped their bottom line.

Patcheslee

What's next step for this they can include a new program: bring back 10 of the plastic bags you got for free, we will give you 1 reusable bag. They could gain more $$$ because guests would have to purchase items to get the plastic ones.

note2001

Let me preface this with the fact that I am pro-environementally friendly initiatives and I usually have my backpack with me the first couple of days of my trips so that I can get my shopping out of the way and not have to carry around a plastic bag in my hands all day (and those are the days that I usually bring my big camera before minimizing everything the last couple of days of my trip). I do appreciate that, in addition to offering the reusable bags, their next question when I was there this week was whether I needed a bag at all (in the past, it seemed purchases were slapped in a bag before I had a chance to decline).

That said, even if they may have tentative plans to stop the use of plastic bags, I would be shocked if that plan ever goes through for several reasons:

• A sufficient percentage of customers will probably be inclined to forego purchases instead of having to pay a bag surcharge every time they want to buy something at the parks (particularly when multiple purchases means the original bag you bought isn't big enough for all your stuff and you have to buy yet another bigger one now to hold the smaller one(s)).
  • It's a noble effort to try to decrease plastic use waste (side note - I noticed several places this past week that still have plastic straws readily available), but aside from good intentions and good PR, I don't think they will let the policy impact their bottom line.
  • Reusable bags aren't for everybody: unless you actually plan to reuse them many times over, the environmental impact is far worse per bag than the plastic ones you usually get. Canvas bags have to be reused 171 times to be more eco-friendly than plastic; cotton is over 200 times; the best polypropylene bags (which is probably what the Disney bags are) need to be reused 11 times to be more eco-friendly. Personally, all the plastic bags I get from Disney, the grocery store, or whatever either get used as trashcan liners, kitty litter bags, or deposited in a bin for use at the local food pantry. My collection of reusable bags goes into a stack in a closet, where I never think about them again until they are in the way enough to just be tossed. I tend to get at least one reuse out of regular bags (for tasks that I would otherwise have to purchase plastic bags for anyway) and zero reuses out of reusable bags. I applaud those that reuse bags religiously, but I would hazard a guess that there are a lot more people that, despite their best intentions, simply aren't going to get enough use out of the reusable bags to justify them as their only option. Eleven is not a lot of times to reuse something, but for a standard consumer, forcing the reusable bag that they won't reuse is environmentally like charging them $2 and throwing away 11 single use plastic ones.
In short, between the fact that forcing reusable bags on people that won't reuse them is actually worse for the environment and the fact that forcing the issue will likely negatively impact Disney's bottom line, I don't think they will ever do more than cut down the use of the plastic.

I'm not doubting what you say, rather I need the source from which you're quoting your reuse numbers (it may come in use for some software I'm building, but I need to know the exact values and how they came to them.)

seascape

Lets face it. All anyone has to do is go to any local Festival and they can get tons of free reusable bags. I hate to admit it, but I just disposed a lot of them from NJ lottery, Radio stations, Gieco, ..... etc. I never used them once after bringing them home. Disney's reusable bags like all others are just to advertise and make it look like they are environmentally friendly. The bags are pure BS. Yes. Disney does do things that are good for the environment and they are one of the best at it but they should give the consumer the choice because my wife will buy all of them but we will never use them and someday after we die they will be dumped in the garbage or sold on Ebay to someone who will never use them either.

seascape

They are since you're not being forced to buy them 🤷‍♂️
You are forced to buy them if you want to carry your purchases. You can of course get plastic bags if you want the items delivered to your resort. They will the put them in the hidden plastic bags and send them. I don't know for sure but the plastic bags probably will be useful if they still have delivery service to the park gate. This whole reusable bag BS is to sell these reusable bags to collectors and make a profit. At the same time they give the environmentalists a so called win even though it will actually hurt the environment because most of the bags will end up in landfills after never being reused and the majority of the rest will never be used but collected. The 3 Epcot bags my wife bought on out last trip were never used and brought home and put in out Disney collection closet. I know in just over a month my wife will buy the Disney Springs Bags, the World of Disney bags, The Magic Kingdom bags, the Animal Kingdom bags, the Hollywood Studio bags and ths resorts bags. That is 18 reusable bags that will never ever be used. Multiply that be millions of others that will do the same thing and tell me this is good for the environment. Finally go on Ebay and look up Disney Reusable Bag.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

note2001

I do wish Disney would bring back the old paper bags. Just for sentimental sake. However, everything we buy is wrapped in sharp edged clam shell plastics these days and would slice right thought those.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I'm not doubting what you say, rather I need the source from which you're quoting your reuse numbers (it may come in use for some software I'm building, but I need to know the exact values and how they came to them.)

Not a problem, here are a few, the numbers for cotton appear to vary a little depending on type (still, all I’ve seen place it well over 100), but the minimum 11 reuses for the types of bags we’re talking about with Disney seems pretty consistent.

James J

In the Parks
No
My county now has a 5 cent bag charge whether it’s plastic or paper so I’ve gotten used to bringing my own bag to the stores now. It’s funny how such a charge can change a habit...even when I forget a bag and just get a few things..I say I’ll carry everything.

It's been like this in the UK for a while, and I totally agree. I always try and make sure that I have a few reusable bags in my car!

MickeyCB

The bags look great, (I will get some next time we are there, I'm a bag lady), but they are not park practical. We travel very light, carry nothing into the parks with us except phones, and other small pocket items.
I have not held one yet but I presume they are a stiffer plastic and as such aren't easy to fold over, put in you pocket or some kind of pack. They also appear to be open on the top (again, presuming) and as such items inside can get wet, and it is easier for someone to grab something from them. And last, if you are like my family and are a combination of cheap and lazy-someone will get stuck carrying the groups purchases in one bag, or have to buy a bunch of them and all members carry their own stuff, which will be irritating.

Rotel1026

Don't post much but reading these comments is killing me. Seriously, keep them, take them to the grocery store. Is it that hard? Austin (TX) banned plastic bags, I'm sure there's other communities that have done the same. Even though the TX Supreme Court ruled that it was unconsititutional to ban plastic bags, you still see plenty of people going into and out of grocery stores with their reusable bags.

So please, everyone, stop complaining about reusable bags that you're not currently being forced to buy, put them in your gas guzzling SUV's and next time you're going into a grocer store, grab them and hand them to whomever is bagging your groceries. Your planet that your children are inheriting will thank you for it.

seascape

They still offer plastic bags, so please shut up with this idioicy 😂😂 And maybe learn to read too
It is not idioicy to say what Disney is doing is playing a game here. They say they are eliminating the use of plastic bags in the park. They in the near future will no long give customers bags. If you want a bag you will have to buy a reusable one. Please tell me where I am wrong? Now, the truth is there is a way around this, if you have your bags sent to your resort. You have to say Disney is either lying or playing games. There is no way they can let customers walk all over the parks without bags or they will see a huge increase in theft. People will constantly be walking out of stores carrying items with no bag. Who paid and who didn't? Is Disney going to be like costco and make everyone line up and show their receipts or will they mistakenly accuse someone like me of stealing because I will not buy bags my wife will just collect.
Don't post much but reading these comments is killing me. Seriously, keep them, take them to the grocery store. Is it that hard? Austin (TX) banned plastic bags, I'm sure there's other communities that have done the same. Even though the TX Supreme Court ruled that it was unconsititutional to ban plastic bags, you still see plenty of people going into and out of grocery stores with their reusable bags.

So please, everyone, stop complaining about reusable bags that you're not currently being forced to buy, put them in your gas guzzling SUV's and next time you're going into a grocer store, grab them and hand them to whomever is bagging your groceries. Your planet that your children are inheriting will thank you for it.
Grocery stores are the only place reusable bags make sense. However show me one Grocery store that does not offer bags. BTW, speaking of environmental supporters, I saw a women driving alone with a STOP GLOBAL WARMING sticker bbn on her car in NJ. The funny thing is she was in a huge SUV driving alone and it had Florida plates on it. Talking about the environment is one thing but doing something is another. She was saying all the right things but doing the opposite. Same thing with homes and travel. So many rich green supporters live in mansions using lots of energy. Even if the have solar cells, they are being subsidized by the middleclass utility customers and polluting more than the average american. Then take the ones who travel by private jet. You cant but carbon trade offs and say you dont pollute but they do. What a complete joke. However getting back to the bags one last time, this program does nothing for the environment. OTOH as a Disney Stockholder I do like it because it will make Disney more money. It is a Disney plus and environment no. Therefore as a human who loves the planet it is bad. The one thing Disney could do is just say they were will not offer bags and if you want one you have to use a bag you bring into the store. Then and only then will a Disney reusable bag program work.

eliza61nyc

I can't understand the "toss" it? Who tosses "reusable" bags. Lol the object is to reuse them. People here buy them
Lets face it. All anyone has to do is go to any local Festival and they can get tons of free reusable bags. I hate to admit it, but I just disposed a lot of them from NJ lottery, Radio stations, Gieco, ..... etc. I never used them once after bringing them home. Disney's reusable bags like all others are just to advertise and make it look like they are environmentally friendly. The bags are pure BS. Yes. Disney does do things that are good for the environment and they are one of the best at it but they should give the consumer the choice because my wife will buy all of them but we will never use them and someday after we die they will be dumped in the garbage or sold on Ebay to someone who will never use them either.

But remember, you are only one view. LOL, I live in the land of whole foods, Wegmans and trader joes. Most folks I know use and reuse the reusable bags all the time at the supermarket.

Now I'll admit I did not do it for altruistic reasons, I don't know about your supermarkets but the plastic bags around here are crap on a cracker. they are so thin, 99% of the time people have to double them. They are so bad that what you'll see is folks put the paper bags inside the garbage plastic bags, so yes I take my reusable bags pretty much all the time to do shopping. I see folks use them to carry stuff to work and to those fairs.

Lastly, it's not an either/or proposition. It's one step.

lol, now to as what will happen when I kick the bucket?? They can use the bags to sneak my ashes onto Pirates of the Caribbean for one last ride then sprinkling them in the Haunted Mansions grave yard.

Goofynora

I also think this is not a good idea. I reuse all my plastic bags, including Disney bags, as garbage bags. I haven't purchased garbage bags in years. I live in a condo and my garbage bags have to be small enough to fit inside a chute, so grocery/drugstore/Disney bags are perfect for my daily garbage needs. And I also use them when I change out the cats' litter boxes. I triple bag that to make sure they get all the way down to the garbage bin without tearing open and spilling all the litter (I live on the fourth floor). The only time I use the so-called reusable bags (I do have several) is when I shop at Aldi. Do you know if I still have the option to request a plastic bag?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom