News Reusable shopping bags now available at all Walt Disney World owned and operated merchandise locations

eliza61nyc

Are you asking how is it a money grab? You have to pay for them, don't you? I'm not against this, I'm just saying they're going into the trash when I get home, just like the plastic. I would like a way to recycle them.

Actually no you don't. don't want them, don't buy them. I think for most folks, they won't go into the trash until they get well trashed. lol. I don't throw away my recyclable bags from other stores.

Unless I'm misunderstanding them. As previous posters mentioned usually these are a bit sturdier and people use them in a variety of way.

Ok well I see them as a very nice alternative to the regular garbage shopping bags and at 1 or 2 bucks a nice little trinket. just a personal preference.

Texas84

Actually no you don't. don't want them, don't buy them. I think for most folks, they won't go into the trash until they get well trashed. lol. I don't throw away my recyclable bags from other stores.

Unless I'm misunderstanding them. As previous posters mentioned usually these are a bit sturdier and people use them in a variety of way.

Ok well I see them as a very nice alternative to the regular garbage shopping bags and at 1 or 2 bucks a nice little trinket. just a personal preference.
Disney's goal is to completely eliminate plastic bags in the future.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
This week a CM told me they were told plastic bags ARE going away, she said a year but can't recall....but I do like the little reusable bags, they are perfect to put a WDW gift in to thank someone helping watch your home or pets while you are having fun in the parks.:happy: And I was asked a few times if I needed a bag....

DisneyDebRob

This week a CM told me they were told plastic bags ARE going away, she said a year but can't recall....but I do like the little reusable bags, they are perfect to put a WDW gift in to thank someone helping watch your home or pets while you are having fun in the parks.:happy: And I was asked a few times if I needed a bag....
I had heard the same thing. About a year, give or take a few months. Time for everyone to get used to the new bags and it will be gone.

seascape

Disney has created a new thing to collect. Just think 3 bags for each park, Disney Springs and the World of Disney and the resorts.. That makes 21 bags for my wife to buy. Then if they were smart Disney would come out with different bags for each resort and issue new ones every quarter. Think of how much they will make. Fortunately, the bags came out the last day we were there so my wife only purchased 3. That leaves 18 for our next trip unless they come out with a new Epcot series on April.

ABQ

Disney has created a new thing to collect. Just think 3 bags for each park, Disney Springs and the World of Disney and the resorts.. That makes 21 bags for my wife to buy. Then if they were smart Disney would come out with different bags for each resort and issue new ones every quarter. Think of how much they will make. Fortunately, the bags came out the last day we were there so my wife only purchased 3. That leaves 18 for our next trip unless they come out with a new Epcot series on April.
Get them while they're hot, after a year, they'll all be bland "Disney Parks" branded.

seascape

Get them while they're hot, after a year, they'll all be bland "Disney Parks" branded.
I hope you are wrong. For now it looks like Disney is coming out with more resort specific merchandise and I hope they wised up and stop all the disney parks crappy stuff. Think of it, who wants to use disney parks paper plates and drink cups? See Disney Parks bags rather than individual park bags? Anyone who understands marketing knows that years ago Disney made a big mistake. I only hope they fix this and if they do, it shows current management learned the lesson from the old management screwups.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

You're not getting the bags for all the international parks, too?!!! :eek:

ABQ

I hope you are wrong. For now it looks like Disney is coming out with more resort specific merchandise and I hope they wised up and stop all the disney parks crappy stuff. Think of it, who wants to use disney parks paper plates and drink cups? See Disney Parks bags rather than individual park bags? Anyone who understands marketing knows that years ago Disney made a big mistake. I only hope they fix this and if they do, it shows current management learned the lesson from the old management screwups.
I too hope I am wrong with this. However, they've had ample time to make not just individually logo'd merch, but also more individual merchandise locations. Outside of Momento Mori, few stores have any unique offerings, but even Momento's items are available in too many other locations these days. I just don't know how truly interested they are in such things, if they cannot quantify it profits them.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Let me preface this with the fact that I am pro-environementally friendly initiatives and I usually have my backpack with me the first couple of days of my trips so that I can get my shopping out of the way and not have to carry around a plastic bag in my hands all day (and those are the days that I usually bring my big camera before minimizing everything the last couple of days of my trip). I do appreciate that, in addition to offering the reusable bags, their next question when I was there this week was whether I needed a bag at all (in the past, it seemed purchases were slapped in a bag before I had a chance to decline).

That said, even if they may have tentative plans to stop the use of plastic bags, I would be shocked if that plan ever goes through for several reasons:

• A sufficient percentage of customers will probably be inclined to forego purchases instead of having to pay a bag surcharge every time they want to buy something at the parks (particularly when multiple purchases means the original bag you bought isn't big enough for all your stuff and you have to buy yet another bigger one now to hold the smaller one(s)).
  • It's a noble effort to try to decrease plastic use waste (side note - I noticed several places this past week that still have plastic straws readily available), but aside from good intentions and good PR, I don't think they will let the policy impact their bottom line.
  • Reusable bags aren't for everybody: unless you actually plan to reuse them many times over, the environmental impact is far worse per bag than the plastic ones you usually get. Canvas bags have to be reused 171 times to be more eco-friendly than plastic; cotton is over 200 times; the best polypropylene bags (which is probably what the Disney bags are) need to be reused 11 times to be more eco-friendly. Personally, all the plastic bags I get from Disney, the grocery store, or whatever either get used as trashcan liners, kitty litter bags, or deposited in a bin for use at the local food pantry. My collection of reusable bags goes into a stack in a closet, where I never think about them again until they are in the way enough to just be tossed. I tend to get at least one reuse out of regular bags (for tasks that I would otherwise have to purchase plastic bags for anyway) and zero reuses out of reusable bags. I applaud those that reuse bags religiously, but I would hazard a guess that there are a lot more people that, despite their best intentions, simply aren't going to get enough use out of the reusable bags to justify them as their only option. Eleven is not a lot of times to reuse something, but for a standard consumer, forcing the reusable bag that they won't reuse is environmentally like charging them $2 and throwing away 11 single use plastic ones.
In short, between the fact that forcing reusable bags on people that won't reuse them is actually worse for the environment and the fact that forcing the issue will likely negatively impact Disney's bottom line, I don't think they will ever do more than cut down the use of the plastic.

seascape

Let me preface this with the fact that I am pro-environementally friendly initiatives and I usually have my backpack with me the first couple of days of my trips so that I can get my shopping out of the way and not have to carry around a plastic bag in my hands all day (and those are the days that I usually bring my big camera before minimizing everything the last couple of days of my trip). I do appreciate that, in addition to offering the reusable bags, their next question when I was there this week was whether I needed a bag at all (in the past, it seemed purchases were slapped in a bag before I had a chance to decline).

That said, even if they may have tentative plans to stop the use of plastic bags, I would be shocked if that plan ever goes through for several reasons:

• A sufficient percentage of customers will probably be inclined to forego purchases instead of having to pay a bag surcharge every time they want to buy something at the parks (particularly when multiple purchases means the original bag you bought isn't big enough for all your stuff and you have to buy yet another bigger one now to hold the smaller one(s)).
  • It's a noble effort to try to decrease plastic use waste (side note - I noticed several places this past week that still have plastic straws readily available), but aside from good intentions and good PR, I don't think they will let the policy impact their bottom line.
  • Reusable bags aren't for everybody: unless you actually plan to reuse them many times over, the environmental impact is far worse per bag than the plastic ones you usually get. Canvas bags have to be reused 171 times to be more eco-friendly than plastic; cotton is over 200 times; the best polypropylene bags (which is probably what the Disney bags are) need to be reused 11 times to be more eco-friendly. Personally, all the plastic bags I get from Disney, the grocery store, or whatever either get used as trashcan liners, kitty litter bags, or deposited in a bin for use at the local food pantry. My collection of reusable bags goes into a stack in a closet, where I never think about them again until they are in the way enough to just be tossed. I tend to get at least one reuse out of regular bags (for tasks that I would otherwise have to purchase plastic bags for anyway) and zero reuses out of reusable bags. I applaud those that reuse bags religiously, but I would hazard a guess that there are a lot more people that, despite their best intentions, simply aren't going to get enough use out of the reusable bags to justify them as their only option. Eleven is not a lot of times to reuse something, but for a standard consumer, forcing the reusable bag that they won't reuse is environmentally like charging them $2 and throwing away 11 single use plastic ones.
In short, between the fact that forcing reusable bags on people that won't reuse them is actually worse for the environment and the fact that forcing the issue will likely negatively impact Disney's bottom line, I don't think they will ever do more than cut down the use of the plastic.
I agree that this is not environmentally good. The facts are that the overwhelming majority of plastic waste in the ocean is not from the USA, it's from Asia. I am glad to be from the first town in NJ that had mandatory recycling and that I recycle almost everything. So don't get upset with me, but now to prove the people behind this never fully thought this out, if you have your purchases delivered to your resort, you do not have to buy reusable bags, they will be delivered in plastic. I also know we will never reuse any of the Disney bags but my wife will buy them anyway. Then if Disney does find this causes a decline in sales you can be sure plastic bags will be back for those who request them.

ppete1975

the black and white is awesome!!! I want one :(
The first time I went back to Disneyworld, I wondered why my hands were black in the insides of my fingers. It was from the cheap ink from the bags coming off lol.
And these do make great gift bags.

DisneyCane

We don't need anymore plastic bags to bring home, so on our last trip we've started to bring both a reusable cloth bag and also a small plastic bag. They take up little or no space in your backpack. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. It's a no brainer.
There are other ways to look at things. For instance, I keep all plastic grocery bags and other shopping bags. The majority get repurposed as garbage bags. I rarely use an actual garbage bag. If I used reusable shopping bags, I'd end up using more plastic because I'd need to use garbage bags that are bigger and thicker.

I get the convenience of not having to bring bags everywhere that I might shop and I'm using less plastic than I would otherwise.

I am Timmy

I knew this was coming (eventually, lol) so I've been keeping all my Disney bags from every purchase on the last 2 trips. I have been gently putting them in my backpack, then carefully folded them and set them aside. I kept one in the back pack every day (for things like a German pretzel to go) where they don't give out a bag, but one would be useful. I'm going to hold onto them, and bring them with me on future trips to use. As an aside, I really like the new designs - I could see me getting the AK bag, to put my collection of plastic bags in.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Just a random thought: during the (WDW store management) discussions about possibly eliminating plastic bags, I wonder if they contemplated any paper bag solutions as well? (In my grocery store, they went from plastic to various sizes of paper bags last year.) As with the plastic bags, we don't pay for paper bags. The grocery store offers reusable bags for purchase, but it's also convenient for customers to have paper bags available when needed.

Paper bags (in addition to the purchased, reusable bags), may or may not be a viable option for the WDW shops, but I'm just curious if paper was ever discussed, as one possible solution.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom