Return trip to airport on Mag Exp - car seat?

elizs77

We are using Magical Express on our upcoming WDW trip. When we traveled in 2006, we were taken back to the airport in a 15 passenger van. DS3 just sat in a regular seat w/ a regular seatbelt.

We are now going to be traveling infant DD, and we are not taking a car seat. Will this be okay for the return trip to the airport on Magical Express? Anybody gone through this? I guess I'm okay holding her, but I don't want to get stuck.

:shrug:

Rob562

On DME they don't allow you to use a child's carseat in the bus anyway. There's no way to secure it to the bus seat. They just have the child sit in a regular seat or ride in a parent's lap.
If you were travelling with a carseat, they'd have you stow it underneath the bus.

EDIT:
From the WDW website:

Disney's Magical Express FAQ said:
Q. Are car seats allowed on the motor coaches?

A. No. Car seats are not permitted on the motor coaches; they must be stowed underneath the motor coach. Children can either sit on an adult's lap or occupy a seat by themselves.

The rest of the FAQ can be found here:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ?id=HelpFAQDMEPage

-Rob

Upvote 0

scorp111

As the other poster said, no issue.

It made my wife a little nervous last year, but it was ok. Both my children on the other hand thought it was great :)

To the point that my DD wants to use Magic Express every time we go (although we sometimes drive down :shrug:)

Upvote 0

elizs77

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

My concern isn't getting from the airport to WDW, it's that return trip since it's not on the bus. I knew that they didn't take car seats on the bus. It just makes me nervous to think of holding DD in my lap in a van, so I just wanted to make sure.

Upvote 0

Gig 'Em Mickey

Yeah amazing how they have to be strapped into the car with a steel bar for snow white but they can't use a car ceat in a bus going 80 mph down the highway driven by a crazy guy playing cuban music over the speakers. That's always amzed me.

Upvote 0

WickedQueen22

Yeah amazing how they have to be strapped into the car with a steel bar for snow white but they can't use a car ceat in a bus going 80 mph down the highway driven by a crazy guy playing cuban music over the speakers. That's always amzed me.

Exact reason I spend the extra $100 to ensure my kids make it to WDW in one piece!

Upvote 0

Rob562

Thanks for the replies.

My concern isn't getting from the airport to WDW, it's that return trip since it's not on the bus. I knew that they didn't take car seats on the bus. It just makes me nervous to think of holding DD in my lap in a van, so I just wanted to make sure.

Do you somehow know for sure that you're getting a van? They usually run buses for DME to get you back to the airport. If you've gotten a van for your return trip on DME in the past, it may have just been a one-time thing due to a scheduling issue.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Gig 'Em Mickey

In most states it's illegal for vans, cabs, etc. to not have kids legally required to be in car seats to be properly restrained. The exception is made for buses, not sure why. You should double check to see if it will be a bus or van. If it is van, and your child is legally required in Florida to travel in a supplemental restraint system, chances are you're going to need it.

Upvote 0

elizs77

Original Poster
Do you somehow know for sure that you're getting a van? They usually run buses for DME to get you back to the airport. If you've gotten a van for your return trip on DME in the past, it may have just been a one-time thing due to a scheduling issue.

-Rob

I don't know for sure that we're getting a van. We had a 7 am flight last time, and so we had a van pick us up at the WL at something like 4 or 4:30 in the morning. It was actually overbooked, as I heard the van driver radio in to the dispatcher complaining that he had a no show family, and if they had shown up, there would have been 2 or 3 more people than seats. I was expecting a bus, so I didn't realize that the van was for us. There was another couple at WL who was also waiting, and they had to tell us that the van was the Magical Express service b/c they didn't know at first, either. I would have thought that when the van pulled up, the driver would have at least asked if we were waiting for Magical Express, but I guess that was expecting too much.

Maybe we had a van b/c a lot of people weren't going to the airport that early! Our return flight this time is late afternoon on a Monday, so maybe it will be different. I hope so! That van driver last time had quite the lead foot.

I will feel better if our return ride is a bus.

Upvote 0

scorp111

Thanks for the replies.

I have always had a bus on the return trip as well :shrug:

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

When you had a van pick you up, that was a rare exception and not the rule.

I agree that a 3-year-old with a regular seatbelt in a passenger van is VERY unsafe. I would call DME directly about this issue. Have them mark it on your DME reservation (somehow) that you will require a motorcoach, as in Florida it is illegal to transport a 3-year-old in a car/van/SUV without a proper child safety restraint, and they don't want to break the law, do they???

If for some reason it still happens again anyway (about the same chance of getting struck by lightning twice), I'd call DME immediately and/or talk with the front desk staff, explaining that it's illegal for a 3 year old, etc., and my guess is they will call a taxi for you that has a car seat in it. If they don't approve this, I'd do it anyway, pay for it, and then contact WDW after-the-fact and nicely ask for reimbursement, again explaining that the ride they offered you was illegal and unsafe.

As to safety for unrestrained children in motorcoaches ....

This is safer than having a properly restrained child in a smaller vehicle such as a car/limo/van/SUV. Why? SImple physics. Briefly, buses are higher and more massive (meaning they have more mass). Unless it's something like a roll-over accident, if a bus is in a typical traffic accident it's pretty likely that the passengers won't even feel much at all, because the mass of the bus is much greater than the smaller vehicle it had the accident with. The mass and size of the bus provides more protection than a smaller vehicle does.

One very sad example. A year or 2 ago there was a bus with a high school or college sports team that drove off an overpass and fell about 35 feet down to the roadway below. Six of the 36 people on-board died. That's one out of 6. A terrible tragedy to be sure, but not a bad percentage. Compare what we think would happen if an SUV drove off an overpass and fell 35 feet to the ground ... if there were 6 people in that SUV, do we think that "only" one of those 6 would die? We'd be shocked if anyone in that size vehicle could survive such a plunge.

Buses are safer. They just are.

Upvote 0

elizs77

Original Poster
I'm really glad I asked this question.

In my state, children up to age 8 have to be properly restrained in the age appropriate device - either a car seat or a booster seat. DS5 just has a booster seat, and DDinfant has a rear facing car seat.

In retrospect, there is no reason that a van should have picked us up the last time since I had a 3 yr old in the party. I think I will either have my travel agent or myself directly contact DME to make sure we have the proper transportation back to the airport. I don't mind holding DD in my lap on a bus. If we get a van again, I think I will indeed raise holy cain.

I have the reponsibility to make sure that my kids are safe, and I have to do what I need to do (bring a car seat) to ensure this. At the same time, since Disney's providing this all-inclusive, no worries transportation, they have a responsibility to make sure that my children are also safely and properly transported.

UPDATE - I've put in a request with my travel agent to see what she can do/find out about the transportation. In retrospect, I can't believe I didn't raise a stink last time.

Upvote 0

Gig 'Em Mickey

Cleve, seriously they won't feel an accident? Your body is moving at 80mph. When that kinetic energy is slowed down by an impact you're going to feel it by hitting the seat in front of you. There are hundreds of bus accidents every year where hundreds of people get an up close and personal experience with what a bus crash "feels" like. It's ridiculous that busses do not have any kind of safety restraint whatsoever.

If you want to use your logic you could also say that since a plane is so big and massive the passengers wouldn't feel much impact if they ran into another plane. Come on....

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

Any child 49" or under should be in an approved booster seet. Our car seat (there is a difference) holds our child up to 60 pounds.

www.boosterseat.gov

Just to clearify a few things, the guidelines say all children up to age 8 or under 4'9" (not 49") should be in a booster seat. I don't believe that is law anywhere though.

Also, while I agree that people in a bus accident will feel the impact and might get hurt, I believe Cleve was pointing out that you have less chance of being dead.

Upvote 0

elizs77

Original Poster
Just to clearify a few things, the guidelines say all children up to age 8 or under 4'9" (not 49") should be in a booster seat. I don't believe that is law anywhere though.

Also, while I agree that people in a bus accident will feel the impact and might get hurt, I believe Cleve was pointing out that you have less chance of being dead.

It is actually state law in NC where I live.

http://www.buckleupnc.org/laws_cps.cfm

Restraint Required:
» A properly used child restraint device (CRD) is required if the child is less than 8 years old AND weighs less than 80 pounds. Most parents and other care givers will be able to comply by using belt-positioning booster seats for children between 40 and 80 pounds. The child must be within the weight range for the child restraint/booster seat and it must meet Federal standards in effect at time of manufacture.

» Children may be secured in a properly fitted seat belt at age 8 (regardless of weight) OR at 80 pounds (regardless of age) - whichever comes first. Placing the shoulder belt under a child’s (or adult’s) arm or behind the back is both dangerous and illegal.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

just a thread bump. Like to keep some discussion going on this. I at least expect some kind of response from Clive....
A friendly response from me, yes, as I too want to keep a lively discussion going. :)

With your example of an airplane, you introduce gravity into the equation, but since in a routine traffic accident a bus is already on the ground, the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground has no "impact" on the situation, pardon the pun. It's a spurious argument to say that the mass of an airplane would help protect people in a plane crash ... it's not comparing apples to apples because the effects of gravity on a previously airborne object changes things dramatically. The forces of gravity trump just about anything else. WHat goes up must come down. BOOM. Sadly, end of story most of the time.

Let me present my "mass" argument in a very different manner, at first.

Let's use toddlers as an example. If you have 2 little kids running full-speed into each other, or one running full-speed into another child who's standing still, both kids are really going to be jarred by the ensuing impact. They will both be very affected by it.

No let's consider a toddler running full-speed into your leg. The toddler might get hurt, but you won't even wobble. That's because you are so much more massive than the toddler.

It's the same with motor vehicle accidents. When two cars (toddlers) hit each other, it can be a terrible scene. But when a car (toddler) hits a bus (grown up) or vice versa, the car gets badly damaged and the bus isn't nearly as badly affected. The mass of the bus absorbs more of the kietic energy, and thus there is less kinetic energy left to be passed on to the objects and people inside the passenger compartment.

If a bus drives 80 mph into a solid wall, of course it will be terrible result, because the force (kinetic energy) will be more than the mass of the bus can bear. But I don't hear about buses driving into walls that often.

If a car and a bus have a head-on collision, the car will come to a dead stop (pun kind of intended) and might even be thrown or pushed backwards. The bus will not come to a dead stop. It would be jolted, but the occupants won't be subject to the full force of the cradh the way the car was.

So riddle me this -- if large buses aren't safer, then why aren't seat belts mandatory like they are (most places) for cars? I can't imagine that they motorcoach manufacturing industry or Greyhound are so powerful that they can sway a majority of legislators' votes in state houses and in Congress.

Upvote 0

happymom52003

While buses are much safer than other vehicles, I still do not understand why they do not have seatbelts on them. Even if it were not required by law to wear a seatbelt on a bus, they should at least be offered for those who would like to wear one.
Even though your chances of surviving a crash are much better if you are in a bus vs. a regular sized automobile, there have still been numerous injuires and deaths over the years on buses that could have been prevented with the use of seatbelts.
It would be interesting to know exactly why seatbelts have not ever been put in buses.....especially school buses.....I've never really thought much about it. Anyone know, other than just guesing as to why?:veryconfu I'm just curious.
Our local school district has some newer buses that have seat belts, but my neighbors who have children that ride the bus told me the bus driver told the kids they could not put them on.:veryconfu:hammer:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom