Retro Video of a Tri Oval that no longer exists :(

thomas998

I was driving the Top Flite car, alone, 8 laps. I miss that speedway. I want to say this was maybe 06'?

Considering the expense of putting in a track and the limited amount of time it was around... I kind of wonder if they lost money on it. I know it wasn't cheap to drive there but still I never could understand the thought behind doing it... most of those driving experiences area done at an existing track so there is no big upfront cost.

dieboy

Original Poster
It was actually built and owned by IMS (folks whom own Indianapolis Motor Speedway).

They held allot of Indy Car series races there, and a bunch of exhibition races, in addition to the Petty driving school (and in later years I think they added an exotic experience.

I believe in 14' or 15' someone died on the track driving or riding in an exotic experience car. The track shuttered shortly after. WDW said they needed the space for parking.

Yes, it was not cheap, but once in a lifetime experience kinda deal. I can also say I drove a 600horsepower stock car at Disney :) It makes rockin' rollercoaster seem kind of slow!

It was around 1995 to end of 2015.. so technically it had a longer run than some rides at WDW:)

Last edited:

jato4x4

It was actually built and owned by IMS (folks whom own Indianapolis Motor Speedway).

They held allot of Indy Car series races there, and a bunch of exhibition races, in addition to the Petty driving school (and in later years I think they added an exotic experience.

It was so cool the first few years it opened when they would actually do Indy car races there. You could hear the cars all the way back in the Magic Kingdom. They also used to display a few of the cars at the TTC which made for cool pics. Now I want to go hunting through old pics.

dieboy

Original Poster
Yes, dang it was a decent time, and offered something unique that not everyone likes, but appealed to a reasonable size group of guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom