Retro forum quote of the day

Phroobar

Original Poster

George Lucas on a Bench

If these 50th Anniversery changes do happen, i see Space Mountain getting the Rock-N-Rollercoaster track system by Vekoma, with the theming of the Space Mountain in Paris. I think the RNRC track would be easier to install in a pre-existing building then the SM from Paris......either this, or a brand new track altogether.....

Let's hope this user didn't pursue a career as a psychic.

Phroobar

Original Poster
August 13, 2001
MickeyMoose15:
There have been a lot of headaches occuring at the Walt Disney World recently. Some from the disappointment of Atlantis and Pearl Harbor at the box office, into their efforts to acquire the Jim Henson Company and the Utah couple lawsuit against Disneyland. But most of it has been coming from Disney's California Adventure. Ever since it opened in February 2001, it has been nothing but trouble.

What is wrong with the theme park? If its Disney, it must be good but this the current Disney where cheaper is better. The whole Disneyland expansion cost $1.5 billion which is pretty cheap for a Disney theme park compared to what was spent on Animal Kingdom and Hong-Kong Disneyland. Look at Paradise Pier where most of the rides are off the shelf carnival rides which are much cheaper then building an original attraction. Another problem is the lack of kiddie attractions. Most of the attractions in Paradise Pier have height restrictions and Superstar Limo may be too boring for preschoolers. Little or no classic Disney dark rides within the theme park and the lack of classic Disney rides like the Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean are among the complaints heard over at Guest Relations. Another problem is that there is no night time water show like Fantasmic! that keeps guests around after the sun goes down.

What is Disney trying to do to save the park? Cheap, quick fixes. Disney brought in the Main Street Electrical Parade direct from its 2 year run at the Walt Disney World resort to solve that night time show problem. But how long will it stay around? As long as it keeps bringing in guests. What about the theming of the rides? Reports have come in saying that once the Country Bears close in September, their skeletons will be used to create life-like bears for the Grizzly River Run ride that desperately needs something to entertain the guests. How about the kiddie rides? Well as of probably Labor Day, Superstar Limo will become Goofy's Superstar Limo by Thanksgiving 2001. This hopefully take care of the kiddie ride problem. If that doesn't satisfy you then check out the Bugstown rides planned for Bountiful Valley Farm. These will be temporary off the shelf carnival rides with no height restrictions. What about classic rides? The Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror and the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster have been debated for the rest of the Timon parking lot behind the Hollywood Pictures Backlot but now rumors point to an All-Star type resort hotel instead. A night time show like Fantasmic! seems to be in the works just for the Christmas Season. The show will involve no actors or dancers but barges, lights and pyrotechnics. The show called Luminaria should debut in about 100 days.

Also heading up for California Adventure is the Disney-MGM Studios hit "Who Wants to be a Millionaire? Play It!". Will these work? Who can say at this point. We all thought attendance would go up after Easter. It did for a very short time but then went down again. The future of California Adventure looks bleak. Hours have been cut severely for September on weekdays and closing the park one day of the week doesn't seem out of the question. What can be done to help this park? Maybe more money and a bit more creativity would help?

Till next time, See Ya! :cool:

We haven't come very far have we?

Phroobar

Original Poster
August 2001
Not long ago I went to a WD Travel sales seminar at Disneyland and I learned from some other agents that if you want him bad enough "He Will Come".
Talking about THE mouse...you can rent him, I would assume in the DL area for $500.00 per hour.
I guess if you have a group going or something, otherwise I don't why you would want to. I wonder if you can rent other characters??? I will have to find out.

Imagine Mickey showing up at your hotel room with a bottle of champagne and saying, "Hi ya pal. I'm here for you."

Phroobar

Original Poster
Jan 8, 2002
From Eisners Shareholder letter...

"Certainly, the big event of our domestic theme parks this year was
the expansion of the world's very first theme park -- Disneyland --
with the addition of a second park -- Disney's California Adventure --
a shopping district -- Downtown Disney -- and a magnificent resort
hotel -- Disney's Grand Californian. Put them all together and we now
have a fantastic destination resort. Unfortunately, we launched it in
a year of abnormal rain (for Southern California), a softening
economy, a California energy crisis and, of course, the uncertainty
following September 11. Unlike Tokyo DisneySea, the crowds that the
expansion has attracted have not been of the magnitude we had hoped
for in its inaugural year. But we now have a vastly improved asset in
Anaheim, which -- as the economy improves, and the lights stay on, and
the Bug's Life children's land opens this fall, and The Twilight Zone
Tower of Terror opens in a few years -- will turn the park, like our
others, into the blockbuster we all know it is. As Richard Corliss of
Time magazine wrote, "At this splendid Disney adventure, visitors need
never stop growing." "

Sounds like Eisner was being a little more honest about DCA's failings than Iger is being about SWL.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Sept 7 2001
From www.screamscape.com

2005 - Rumor - Frontierland Project - (9/5/2001) With a Tower Of Terror looking more and more to be going into DCA, we’ve heard another ODD rumor this time about a future E-ticket for Frontierland. Now, Geyser Mountain was said to be a rethemed version of Tower Of Terror and according to this rumor, a similar idea was planned for another WDW ride. At first this sounds silly, but this one source claims to have heard about a Mine Train themed version of Rock ‘n Roller Coaster for Frontierland. Now... I started to think seriously about this when you realize how many other rides Disney has been copying from park to park, and the did want to put in a version of this ride into every resort area eventually. DCA would be a natural fit, but it already has a Launched Coaster... but Disneyland does not. The same kind of thinking has already taken place in Paris where Space Mountain starts off with an inclined launch up the side of the mountain and Rock ‘n Roller coaster will be placed into their new studio park next door. We also know Imagineering was tinkering with alternative themes for the Rock ‘n Roller Coaster attraction for Tokyo-Disneyland where they had pitched a Cyberspace journey themed version of the very same ride as Cyber-Mid.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Geyser Mountain was originally planned for Disneyland in order to give people a reason to go to Disneyland after DCA opened. Unfortunately, DCA was such a dog that Cynthia Harris panicked and went with a cheaper version of the ToT planned for Paris. Geyser Mountain would have been an amazing ride situated where Big Thunder Ranch was located. It would have fit the footprint of the ranch so no back stage area was needed.

GM1.jpg

Phroobar

Original Poster
:confused: Is it my imagination or is there much less to do in Tomorrowland now than 10 years ago? Attractions discontinued include Peoplemovers, Skyway, Carousel of Progress, Submarine Voyage, Inner Space, Rocket Rods, and Rocket Jets. What's the problem here? I know that some attractions now exist in older structures but what about the Submarine Lagoon, People Mover track, and the Skyway? Why were these attractions removed and not replaced?
Hello? This is the DISNEYLAND message board! Not WALT DISNEY WORLD message board! Disneyland does not have the peoplemover anymore, it was torn up in 1997 for Rocket Rods in 1999, it closed a year later.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Apr 1, 2002 - 3rd theme park announced

:lol: :lol: thats a good one!!!

look at this:

DONALD'S REVV IT UP!™ - a leaf blowing adventure; (One of many new Disney MOBILE ATTRACTIONS™ - guests will consult their guide maps to locate which gardening area it will be operating in on the day of their visit)
TORO'S DRIVE 'EM BUGGIES™ - a crazy drive-it-yourself riding lawn mower ride; (Another one of many new Disney MOBILE ATTRACTIONS™)
SPIN SPIN SPIN!™ aboard spin-'em-yourself garden hose take up spindles
ARIEL'S LET'S GET WET™ a playground themed around multiple DISNEY'S RAINBIRD™ sprinklers.
TARZAN'S TIRESWING™ kids thrill to a character even if it doesn't quite fit in

thanks for sharing!

ok, this better be an april fools :lookaroun
Sounds better than Galaxy's Edge and Pixar Pier to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom