Restaurants for the non-Disneyphile/Foodie

starri42

Original Poster
While I hate pulling this card, we live in New York City, so good Mediterranean food is fairly east for us to find. I think Spice Road Table looks cool, but I'm trying to focus on things that are either harder to find (Afro-fusion is tough, even here), a unique setting/experience, or from a name chef.

But I do really appreciate all the thoughtful suggestions.

Naplesgolfer

My husband is making what is likely to be his only trip to WDW with me this December. He is likely to be unimpressed by anything other than the food. I have actually spent hours pouring over DFB videos to try and narrow down choices. Because food would be a big draw for him, we decided to go for the Deluxe plan, since we'd be doing enough signature restaurants to make it worthwhile.

So far, we've got reservations for Le Cellier, Jiko, Ohana, and Morimoto. We're there for five nights, so I don't know what to do for the fifth one. He told me unequivocally no character meals, which was a bit disappointing, because I would have enjoyed Artist Point for the Wicked Queen if nothing else.

I also have a lunch reservation for Skipper Canteen (that one's for me).

I was thinking about Tiffins, but since I don't know how much park hopping he'd be down for, we'd probably have to do it for lunch the same day as Jiko, and I REALLY don't want to eat two heavy meals in the span of a few hours.
Try Flying Fish on the Boardwalk.

My husband is making what is likely to be his only trip to WDW with me this December. He is likely to be unimpressed by anything other than the food. I have actually spent hours pouring over DFB videos to try and narrow down choices. Because food would be a big draw for him, we decided to go for the Deluxe plan, since we'd be doing enough signature restaurants to make it worthwhile.

So far, we've got reservations for Le Cellier, Jiko, Ohana, and Morimoto. We're there for five nights, so I don't know what to do for the fifth one. He told me unequivocally no character meals, which was a bit disappointing, because I would have enjoyed Artist Point for the Wicked Queen if nothing else.

I also have a lunch reservation for Skipper Canteen (that one's for me).

I was thinking about Tiffins, but since I don't know how much park hopping he'd be down for, we'd probably have to do it for lunch the same day as Jiko, and I REALLY don't want to eat two heavy meals in the span of a few hours.

I have been to most of the signature restaurants in the past few years and every park restaurant and my recommendation is to look at the menus and find something that might get you or your husband excited about it. Menus change constantly and sometimes 1 persons experience based off a trip a year and a half ago is different from someone who has gone recently. For example people hound Tony's town square in Magic Kingdom but about a year ago they, got a new chef, started making their pasta from scratch, and revamped the menu (pretty good, not NYC area Italian good). Yet people talk about their visit their 5 years ago... My 2006 visit to Le Cellier was incredible. Still is one of my favorite meals at Disney World to this day. During my August 2018 trip Le Cellier was one of the worst steak experiences I have had on property.
Here are my recommendations based on my opinion and my own research while recently making reservations. California Grill has been consistently amazing in my opinion and I have been 5 times in the past 3 years. I have a reservation at Jiko on my next trip because their newest menu looks incredible. Tiffin's newest menu is underwhelming. Unfortunately Skippers Canteen isn't great food wise but is more an experience if that's what you are looking for. The new Italian place at the Riviera should be open by December and I believe that's a signature experience, The space restaurant in Epcot should be open as well if your looking for a cool experience.

Fellow NY'er here. We never eat Italian or Mediterranean food out of NY just not worth it. I would suggest you go for better food coupled with atmosphere or experience. California Grill with their stunning views and good food is a fine choice. Any of the meals at Animal Kingdom Lodge is a really good choice. The Animal Kingdom Lodge is stunning and after dinner walk outside and the Animal Ambassadors will talk to you about their home countries and the animals at the Lodge. They will give you night vision goggles and you can see giraffe , zebras, antelope etc. They tell African fairy tales around the fire pit . We eat at both Jiko and Boma for dinner. I give the edge to Boma for the ability to try lots of different dishes - Bobatie, African Lamb Stew, Ghana Oxtails, Curried seafood salad, Durban Roasted chicken, 5 different soups, Fabulous desserts like Zebra Domes, Kenyan coffee tarts. There are also plenty of "American choices" . As far as buffets, IMHO I think its the best I've been to. Another really fun choice s Raglan Road at Disney Springs. The food is good and dependable and great drinks. Fun entrainment. I always look at Allears.net for the most recent menu. And youtube usually has video of dishes and reviews. He a great time planning that's part of the fun. Afterwards write reviews and let us know how it went. Two fun counter service for snacks- EPCOT I love the Karmell Kuche (Germany) and Les Halles (France)

KevinPage

Boma is one of the best buffets I’ve been to, probably THE BEST.

I always love O’Hana, but it’s more than just the food at all these places for me. Sure I want good food (who doesn’t but I’m also not wiping my behind with Ben Franklin’s), so price is always a consideration. The location and presentation of it all definitely adds to the overall experience.

Not sure if hubby literally only cares about “food and nothing else” but let him know that he’ll have to put his own napkin on his lap at all these places 😜😜😜 (Good luck)

nickys

Premium Member
Based on the review that @lentesta just posted on Touring Plans, Takumi-Tei sounds amazing!

Keep an eye out for ADR booking opening up for it, I think it’ll end up being quite hard to get.

Edited: just re-read the OP’s post. Takumi-Tei won’t be on the dining plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom