Restaraunts at Ft Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge

sbkline

Original Poster
We're thinking about staying at WL next time we go and I wanted to double check on all the restaraunts, both TS and QS, at FW and WL. At WL, I know that there is Artist Point, Whispering Canyon and Roaring Fork. The first two are TS, but I can't remember if Roaring Fork is QS or just a bakery/dessert type place. We stopped in there last year and walked right by it this year, but I guess I didn't pay close enough attention. And if it IS just a place to get snacks, then is there another place at Wilderness Lodge that I'm not thinking of, which would be a quick service restaraunt?

Regarding Fort Wilderness, I know there is Hoop-Dee-Doo and Mickey's Backyard BBQ, and I thought I also remember walking by a place called Trails End. Is that TS or QS? And are there any other places I'm not thinking of? I guess I'm wondering, if Trails End is TS, then is there a QS place at FW? And if Trails End is QS, then is there a TS at FW that isn't a signature experience?

sweetpee_1993

I've only ever been to Whispering Canyon & Hoop De Doo. I'm pretty sure Roaring Fork is QS w/selections at each meal. Trails End is a TS buffet. I've heard that dinner is pretty much the Hoop De Doo food & then some. It's supposed to be a good value for the price. I'm pretty sure I've read that they do breakfast there too.:wave:

Trails End is TS. It is a buffet for Breakfast and Dinner. They also have a pastry counter for breakfast that I believe you can use your QS at. There is also Crockett's tavern- it is TS, just not a buffet. They have really great pizza. I think that you can use your QS at the pool snack bar.

Phonedave

I've only ever been to Whispering Canyon & Hoop De Doo. I'm pretty sure Roaring Fork is QS w/selections at each meal. Trails End is a TS buffet. I've heard that dinner is pretty much the Hoop De Doo food & then some. It's supposed to be a good value for the price. I'm pretty sure I've read that they do breakfast there too.:wave:

Yes, Roaring Forks is a QS, with rotating selections. I happen to like it quite a bit for a quick bite.

-dave

tigsmom

Yes, Roaring Forks is a QS, with rotating selections. I happen to like it quite a bit for a quick bite.

-dave

I agree. It's great for a quick breakfast before heading to the parks, a quick snack if you head back to the Lodge or a quick lunch or dinner (those specials are usually the same). It has gone through a few renovations since it first opened, but it's still too small so if you can take your food & head out to the pool area and relax there.

MissM

Roaring Forks is a really nice QS with quite a number of ready-to-grab as well as made-to-order selections.

Whispering Canyon Cafe is a lot of fun and offers LARGE quantities of food especially if you get the skillets. We ate there in February for lunch and it was fun and filling.

I haven't had a chance to eat at Artist's Point yet but right within it is also a little bar/lounge called Territory Lounge which offers some small items like cheese platters and flatbreads in addition to alcohol. It's a nice, quite place for a drink and more upscale snack for adults. I don't think most people realize it's there.

Phonedave

Won't bother with RF - you've got all the good data on that...

Whispering Canyon is the BEST breakfast/lunch spot, and a GOOD dinner spot if on a budget.

Artists Point is still formaly listed as "Signiture Dining" - they have eliminated filets, degrading to tenderloins. They no longer offer their fresh fruit cobbler - it's now a frozen thing that looks like a berry pot pie. This is one of the only "Signitures" I would avoid.

All is not lost - grab a buss to DTD or Animal Kingdom - be sure to ask the driver if he is going to hit the Grand Floridian next (most do). Go to the Grand Floridian, and hit either Citrico's or Narcoossee's - both excellent :) Return by monorail to MK - MK to WL by buss.

in beef, a filet IS a tenderloin. Or to be more specific. A tenderloin is composed of a number of filets, filet mignon, and chateaubriand steaks. A tenderloin is a long, round piece of meat, sort of like a loaf of French bread. When you slice it into 1 to 2 inch slices, those slices are what everyone calls a 'filet'.

Oddly enough, sometimes the whole tenderloin is called a filet as well.

Beef Wellington is traditionally made with a tenderloin.

A tenderloin is in no way a step down from a "filet". In fact, calling it a tenderloin ensures that you are getting a specific piece of meat. The piece that runs along the spine in the lower back. The term 'filet' is used quite loosely at times, and can refer to a number of different things depending on who you speak to.

-dave

wvdisneyfamily

-dave

I like it, too. A lot of people don't like it because of the size or lack of variety. I like the flatbreads.

Trail's End does look good. Hubby and I toyed with going there. WCC is excellent. I prefer dinner to breakfast. I didn't see the Artist Point mentioned. I can't stress how good that place is.

Mouse Man

Nothing beats the Whispering Canyon and Hoop De-Do. Good food with a lot of fun and Laughs. I have never had a bad meal at Fort Wilderness or the Wilderness Lodge. Artist point is great and it is a more formal upscale and quite place. The menue is nice and the two times I have eaten there the food was very good.

fredtom

Artists Point is still formaly listed as "Signiture Dining" - they have eliminated filets, degrading to tenderloins. They no longer offer their fresh fruit cobbler - it's now a frozen thing that looks like a berry pot pie. This is one of the only "Signitures" I would avoid.

By the way, in the case of beef, the term filet most often refers to beef tenderloin, especially filet mignon.

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :lol:

Phonedave

Absolutely agree with you to a point :) But as you've noted - a tenderloin is a SUPER SET - a Filet is a SUB Set of a tenderloin.. Based on this, one may order a tenderloin, and get a cut other than a Filet.

Put another way? A filet is definitely a tenderloin... but not all tenderloins are filets :) That's why I prefer a precise offering on the menu - I know I'm not going to get, say, Tournedos :)

The term 'filet' is also a misnomer. In fact the whole thing is a mess.

The roughly 2 foot long, 6lb hunk of meat that come from the lower back, is ...

In the USA a tenderloin, in France a filet, and in England a filet.

Aw, this is too much work, let me see if I can find something to poach ...

Ah, ha.

You may not believe this, but not everyone takes Auguste Escoffier's statements as gospel anymore. Let's start with a lesson in vocabulary, shall we? What we in the United States call the tenderloin — the lower portion of the sirloin — the British call the fillet, and the French call le filet. That much everyone agrees on, but now the controversy begins.

The broad end of the tenderloin yields fairly large steaks, which are generally cut thin. The French call these le bifteck, while some people in this country call them châteaubriand, and the British call them fillet steaks. Escoffier says the châteaubriand actually comes from the center of the tenderloin, is cut very thick, and weighs in at 12 ounces or so. Some people in this country call this a châteaubriand roast. Tournedos, according to Escoffier, are smaller, round steaks cut from the narrower part of the tenderloin, and are likely to weigh 2-1/2 ounces each. Those folks in Britain and the US who believe that châteaubriand is what comes from the broad end of the tenderloin, also believe that the tournedos comes from the center or "eye" of the tenderloin.

In Escoffier's world, that left the small, flat end of the tenderloin for filet mignon. In this country, that may be called the tenderloin tip or rib end tip, and in Britain it may just be called the tail end. Nowadays, there may be no clear dividing line between where the tournedos ends and the filet mignon starts, but it is clear that no one really cares that Escoffier categorized the filet mignon only as the last little bit of the tenderloin.

In the United States, filet mignon is a well-known and well-loved term, while tournedos has limited name recognition. Is it any wonder that meat packagers use the better-known name for every cut from the center of the tenderloin almost to the tip (especially when it is sure to bring a better price), even if they use it inaccurately? This just looks like another case where modern-day marketing has triumphed over old-world Escoffier.

Back to me now. So what is the point of all this meaty terminology?

the point is, there is no set term for what you are eating. You have to ask the waiter. If you are really that concerned, then ask the chef where exactly on the tenderloin the cut you will be eating comes from.

In any case, a 'filet' is not the "best" steak. It is one of the most tender (perhaps THE most tender of all the major muscle groups) but that hardly makes it the best. It is also about as flavorful as a dish of shaved ice. Both will melt in your mouth.

It is like complaining that they took the filet off the menu but added a porterhouse.

My opinion is that a filet steak has become the prime rib of the 2010 era. People used to go ga-ga over prime rib, no matter how fatty, greasy, and overcooked it was, prime rib was THE steak that had to be on every menu. Now it has become the filet steak. If it's not on the menu, the place MUST be crap. Never mind what other exciting things the chef is doing. Never mind a perfectly cooked skirt steak, or the pain in the rear to cook octopus. Restaurants love filet. People will pay out the nose for them, easy to cook, and if someone orders something more than medium, it may even go for a ride in the fryer.

It's like when places put surf and turf on the menu. Lobster and steak, two great tastes that DO NOT go great together. But hey, it must be good, because separately they are the most expensive items on the menu, but on the same plate, WOW what a meal.

I find it refreshing when a chef has the stones to take filet off the menu and excite his or her patrons with challenging dishes.

-dave

Artist Point

Artist Point is delicious. We ate there on our last trip. I had the buffalo tenderloin on a goat cheese polenta. I gobbled both up. My friend had the beef and it was good to. We also shared some truffle fries which in my opinion was the highlight of the meal.

Roaring fork is quick service. They have a sandwich station for lunch and dinner and a hot plate station where they serve burger, fries, pizza etc. They also will serve a hot breakfast in the morning. They offer eggs, bacon, sausage, hasbrown, and pancakes. Most of the food is your average counter service fare. My friend really like the pizzas.

when we ate at Artist point we felt that the food was nothing special, it was good but not as good as any of the other restaurants and I believe the atmosphere was quit snooty!

Phonedave

...or try the steak :) Have done so many times at AP (pre & post menu change), and at the other, real Signiture's.

Try the filet at Citrico's - purely an opinion, but it makes the AP tenderloin look like hamburger :) And that new "Fruit Cobbler" really DOES look & taste like a pot pie - Lord, I wish they would bring the REAL fresh fruit cobbler back - it would make up for the Tenderloin :)

Of course, to avoid all confussion - go to Shula's :) If you can handle dessert, check out the size of the NY Cheesecake when you get it - absolutely insane :)

I have not tried the 'new' fruit cobbler at AP. I have reservations there in August, so maybe I will, just to see how bad it is. I rarely eat dessert because, quite frankly, most of the time they are disappointing. They are either frozen and re-heated (as you described) or subscribe to the theory that if we make it with chocolate people must love it.

Shula's brings up another pet peeve of mine. Insanely sized portions. I would much rather have a normal sized portion at a lower price. Especially at a resort where I really don't want to drag leftovers around. I understand the whole steak house thing- I once had a baked potato that approached bowling ball sized proportions at a Morton's - so I can sort of give Shula's a pass on that one. You go in expecting it. But in most places I want to get out without either feeling like Mr. Creosote or leaving half my food behind.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom