Resorts Deluxe

Club Cooloholic

Maybe be going to Disney World next year, Which of the deluxe would you stay at and why?
Depends on what type of park goer you are. Do you like to hit a park, head back to resort for rest and lunch and then back again at night? Do you like to go in the morning and head to resort for good in the afternoon or are you a commando who stays at the park from morning to night?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I've only stayed at one and that was the Contemporary last year.
I would and might be staying there again next year.
It was always my dream growing up to stay there because of how unique it looks.
I enjoyed staying in the main building and having everything be right there.
I also enjoyed the quick walk to MK especially since it the park we go to the most.
I will say though that I was not a fan of the bus service to AK and HS. The timing was unreliable and then both would come at the same time and wheelchairs, strollers, people would be dashing every direct to get to the bus they needed.

dmw

In the Parks
No
We've stayed at AKL and at the Poly. My thoughts...
  • Poly:
    • Pros: Love being close to MK, and via the monorail. Love being able to see (and hear) the evening show from the pool or from a chair on the beach. Good dining options at the Poly, or at the Contemporary or GF, just a monorail ride away. Very nice pools.
    • Cons: Can't get into the signature restaurant unless you book right at 180 days (or whatever the new ADR requirement might be). Monorails are VERY crowded at peak times, so there could be a wait. We found the rooms to be worn and needing an update. Room prices just could not be justified, even with an AP discount, so have only stayed there once. Long bus rides to other parks, and the buses did not seem to run as frequently as we have experienced at values and moderates. Could have just been unlucky in our one visit.
  • AKL:
    • Pros: if you get a savanna view, it is awesome! There are multiple areas from the common ares in the hotel, and outside in which you can see animals. Very nice pool at Jambo House. Great dining.
    • Cons: requires a bus to go anywhere, and it is a long drive to MK. Room prices are too high for us - we got lucky shortly after it opened and got a very good deal on savanna view rooms. Without a savanna view, it's hard to pick this resort over other deluxe properties with alternate transportation options.
We have toured and dined at all of the Deluxe properties. The Epcot area resorts have the bonus of being close to that park, by foot or boat. The monorail resorts have the same pros as I noted for the Poly. AKL is the least convenient, but the animals are a huge plus, IMHO.

Ignoring room prices, I would probably choose the GF because of the proximity to MK, with AKL savanna view a close second.

pj4963

Original Poster
Maybe June 2021.We are going to stay in a deluxe Not sure I can afford the Grand Florian, Thinking of Yacht Club or Boardwalk. Any info you can provide will be appreciate.

KTK

I don't think you can go wrong with staying at any of the deluxe resorts as long as it fits your budget. We have stayed at both Boardwalk (twice) and Yacht Club (three times). My wife and three teens favorite resort is Yacht.
Boardwalk: reminds me of the Jersey Shore growing up. Very good restaurants. Free night time entertainment (at least pre-covid). They do have long hallways so depending on your room location, it can be a longer walk to get to and from your room. All of the restaurants and stores at Boardwalk are not connected inside to the hotel so you have to walk outside to get to them. Not a big deal unless it is pouring down rain. Three boat stops until you get to Hollywood Studios though you could walk there since it is the closest Disney hotel to HS.
Yacht: shares bus with Beach Club, Yacht is first pick up and first drop off by the bus. So usually in the mornings, the buses are empty when getting picked up. The boat transportation stop is right outside the back door. Two stops and you are at Hollywood Studios. The pool is one of the best (some will say the best) on Disney property. Very good restaurants as well b/t Yacht and Beach which are connected. I think Yacht has the nicer rooms if you want to be nit picky.
Yacht tends to be a little cheaper, at least when we tend to go in December.
Both hotels are 5-10 minute walk to the International Gateway (the back way into Epcot) and to the gondolas.

dave&di

Maybe June 2021.We are going to stay in a deluxe Not sure I can afford the Grand Florian, Thinking of Yacht Club or Boardwalk. Any info you can provide will be appreciate.
The Yacht Club and Boardwalk are a great location for both Epcot and Hollywood Studios. We’ve stayed at the GF, Poly and WL, if we could stay at a deluxe now it would be either Yacht and Beach or Boardwalk, as we can’t afford that our next visit (2022) will be The Dolphin.

correcaminos

I personally would go with Yacht Club. I just like it more as a hotel than both Beach Club and Boardwalk. More relaxed feel there for me and with the boat situation unknonw a better walk to DHS but still not too far from Epcot. Until the Epcot monorail or the path to MK opens, there is little reason to stay at the GF for me.

MickeyLuv'r

I've tried all of them. They all have pros and cons, but all are nice. A little bit...I'd put the question back on you. Which hotel you like has much to do with what you like in a hotel. With WDW, theming is important. If you really aren't into animals, AKL isn't likely to be your top pick. If you LOVE seeing giraffes, then you'll likely enjoy AKL. Liking a hotel has much to do with your personal opinion of that theming, though ironically, my favor WDW deluxe has the least exciting theming. Though only you can say if the pool matters to you. I've enjoyed all the hotels, and would stay at any again. Though right now, much of what made each one special in the before times, might not apply now. Before, being able to see fireworks from your room was a big plus. Being near MK = late nights at MK. Being near Epcot could mean park hopping to Epcot for dinner. But there's no park hopping now, and park hours are very limited.

Second, sometimes how much any of us enjoys a hotel is just based on a few things that are partly random, like meeting nice CM's or not. Or our room location. If you get stuff with with a lousy room view, that might taint one's perception. I just mean, a great CM can make any hotel memorable, while a bad (random) encounter may well do the opposite.

Third biggie when choosing a hotel, consider not just the hotel, but where you want to spend your time. I strongly suggest eating at whichever hotel you pick if you plan table service meals. TS = table service. We usually eat breakfast at our home hotel every morning, or almost every morning, so liking the breakfast dining options at your home hotel is convenient. We usually opt for either Quick Serve (QS) breakfasts or Club Level (CL). For now, club level is closed, but it might re-open next year. if you choose a Monorail hotel (GF/Contemp) you'll have easy access to all monorail dining. If you opt for a Boardwalk/BC/YC/Swan/Dolphin are hotel you have easy access to all the dining in that area- and potentially HS and World Showcase dining- except- you can no longer park hop. So that means you can' hop into Epcot for dinner on a MK day. IMO, liking your hotel dining is now more important, or at least plan on eating at your hotel. You can lose lots of time getting around WDW. Though maybe with limited park hours you won't mind spending an hour each way getting to dinner via bus. Right now, begin close to HS is a bonus for those who want a boarding group.

Of the three you list, I'll say a few characteristics of each that may or may not be important to you:

1. ) GF - rooms are big, elegant, pool is nice but not my top pool, TS = excellent, QS= so-so, CL= has TWO CL, both are excellent, but main building CL is $$$. Generally, I only stay here though if I see an exceptional discount. losing the live musicians is a BIG blow to the atmosphere of GF though. Holiday decors is super, transportation is okay, close to MK, but not super close to the other 3 parks. Would not pay to stay in main building if CL hasn't re-opened.

2. Boardwalk - rooms are bright/cheery. I like the layout. Of the WDW pools- BWK is the DEEPEST, pool slide is fun, but only if you don't hate clowns. Not much of a kiddie pool. Art Gallery is super. outside boardwalk area is (was) fun. TS = so-so, QS not greatest. Club Level = super! Esp. on weekends. quiet pool is very nice. walk to Epcot AND HS- so great if you want to get to HS early. I rarely stay here though, because I find the hotel VERY large and sprawling. LOVE the area and other hotels in the area.

3. YC/BC- of the 3 you list this is my favorite! Love layout/brightness of rooms, LOVE the pool, love the gardens. Before I stayed here, I thought the theming was boring, but love staying here! Yacht Club and Beach Club are kinda just 2 halves of the same hotel. TS dining is decent, QS= so-so, CL is very good. Super close to both Epcot and HS! I stay at both often. Usually they are the same rate, but if you see a lower rate or better room offered at BC or YC they are basically the same hotel. Just a slight difference in room decor. YC tends to be slightly more adult/less kids. BC tends to be slightly more kids.

4. If you want deluxe, but budget is a factor, the rooms at AKL (if open) and WL tend to be slightly lower price. Room at both are slightly smaller, and transportations options are slightly less convenient, but these are both super hotels! My biggest criticism of both is that the rooms decor tends to be a bit on the brown side. I like the lighter/white bedding/room decor of the other hotels. Layout is decent, as long as your room location happens to be decent.

5. You didn't ask, but CR is my favorite. CR doesn't have the most exciting pool, or exciting theming, or even super dining, but it is convenient to MK and all monorail dining. I also love the view of Bay Lake, and in the before times- the nightly water parade. Sadly, I fear the water parade might be gone for good. The layout of the hoetl is exceptionally convenient. Bathroom layout is a bit odd - the sinks are nearly flat bottomed and there is almost no counter space. We end up using one sink as counter space. Otherwise, the rooms are pretty good layout with lots of desk space. I find it relaxing. The CL is super. The QS is super. Cali Grill is super. Other TS just so-so.

Last edited:

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
My personal favorites are the Yacht and Beach Club. I think they ability to walk to Epcot and HS is the greatest benefit to me. Epcot is m favorite park and I travel during the festivals so I spend a ton of time there. The pool at Y&B is the best on property (Stormalong Bay). Plus the added benefit of having access to the food at the boardwalk as well really kicks it up a notch.

I will say AKL has the best theming of any resort I have been to, but it is a bus ride away from everything. So it really comes down to if you prefer ease of access or theming. There is no wrong answer as I have gone to both for different reasons. Best of luck on your choosing!

nickys

Premium Member
If you’re looking to book for next year, then Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Boardwalk are all out. None of them are taking reservations as they have no planned opening date.

You could book a DVC room, although Jambo House has nothing open right now except for the DVC villas and pool and is unlikely to have anything else open until the regular resort rooms open up.

MrsDoubie

I’m highly in favor of buying DVC points from an owner or a website like Dave’s if you want to be in a Deluxe but the price is just too much. I rented AKL the last week of October. We’re doing 6 nights and it was less than $1000.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom