Resort parking - overnight guests

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I have a friend visiting me while I'm staying at Disney - she has an AP, will she still have to pay to park at my resort?

Tom P.

Technically, if someone is staying overnight, you need to add them to your reservation.
Not to derail, but can you add someone to a reservation for a single night only, though? What if you are staying, say, seven nights but you have someone visiting for only one night? What is the technically correct way to handle that?

NYwdwfan

Not to derail, but can you add someone to a reservation for a single night only, though? What if you are staying, say, seven nights but you have someone visiting for only one night? What is the technically correct way to handle that?
I was told once that if you are staying with a package then everyone staying in the room would need to have the same exact package (mealplan, park tickets, etc.) but if it is a room only reservation there may be more flexibility regarding guests in the room for a portion of the stay.

DisneyJoe

Walk them to the front desk when they get there, and add them as a "day guest". As long as you are not exceeding the room occupancy limits, they will add them, usually with no extra adult charge, and they will ask if they should be allowed to use their Magicband for room access and if they should have charging privileges.

markc

No, she doesn't. If she tells the guard she's there to visit a friend at the hotel, she'll be fine and not subject to the nightly parking fee. With that being said - the parking policy might suggest that she *should* be paying it, but the actual execution and enforcement of the overnight parking policy suggests otherwise.

Jon81uk

No, she doesn't. If she tells the guard she's there to visit a friend at the hotel, she'll be fine and not subject to the nightly parking fee. With that being said - the parking policy might suggest that she *should* be paying it, but the actual execution and enforcement of the overnight parking policy suggests otherwise.

Surely someone sleeping overnight in a room is therefore a guest at the resort and the parking fee should be charged? I guess if you don't tell the front desk you have an additional person in your room then thats different too.

Its a whole different topic, but the whole implementation of the resort parking fees seems messed up. If you visit for dinner you park free but pay for a room at the hotel and you have to pay parking, I don't get that logic. Either charge everyone or no-one.

wdwfan22

Once you have checked in you can add a Guest to the reservation for any period of time during your stay. You can NOT however go over the allowed occupancy of the room. You will have to pay the additional adult fee for the room if more than 2 adults are already occupying the room. Overnight parking will also apply.

BASS

I think this is accurate. For example, we recently drove to the Boardwalk Hotel for dinner. We were not charged parking. Obviously, we left following dinner, but theoretically, had the car remained overnight, the chances of the resort determining that the car did not belong to a registered guest is slim. I mean, I guess the resort could go through each car to ensure each car has a parking pass, but that's a risk that she can likely safely take.

daisyduckie

I think this is accurate. For example, we recently drove to the Boardwalk Hotel for dinner. We were not charged parking. Obviously, we left following dinner, but theoretically, had the car remained overnight, the chances of the resort determining that the car did not belong to a registered guest is slim. I mean, I guess the resort could go through each car to ensure each car has a parking pass, but that's a risk that she can likely safely take.

And I could go to the store and stuff candy in my pockets and probably not get caught. Doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Dad 2 M & M

Did the Original post inquire on an overnight guest? Or a guest visiting for the day?

Either way, tell the guard when entering, AND inform the Front Desk. I'd assume an overnight stay would result in at least the charge for parking..........

What Resort is in question? If it is any on the monorail loop, you're probably going to have to pay to park even if it is only during the day....

TrojanUSC

Just have her park and stay the night. Nobody will say anything and if they do, just tell them she planned to go home but got too tired to drive safely. This happens literally all the time. How many convention guests do you think have a "guest" over for the night? Or a friend visiting who has one too many at dinner who decides to sleep it off? It's not reasonable to expect all these people to go to the front desk.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I've wondered about that. I frequently fall into the day guest category. Monorail resorts are a bit tougher but all others are pretty easy. Lately, I've just shown ID, AP and off I went. Nothing was written down, nothing was scanned. Just said "I'm visiting" and was waived through.

Now, I usually stay a couple of hours and I'm out. But what is Disney's fail safe for a family that is "visiting" AKL. Parks their car, walks around the resort for half an hour and then boards the bus to AK? Theoretically, If they arrive at the resort at 10am and leave the resort at 7pm. What happens?

TrojanUSC

I've wondered about that. I frequently fall into the day guest category. Monorail resorts are a bit tougher but all others are pretty easy. Lately, I've just shown ID, AP and off I went. Nothing was written down, nothing was scanned. Just said "I'm visiting" and was waived through.

Now, I usually stay a couple of hours and I'm out. But what is Disney's fail safe for a family that is "visiting" AKL. Parks their car, walks around the resort for half an hour and then boards the bus to AK? Theoretically, If they arrive at the resort at 10am and leave the resort at 7pm. What happens?

Nothing. They don't want to ruin someone's vacation by having their car towed. AKL usually has a good amount of available parking though, regardless. It would be a larger issue at the Contemporary and that's why they're stricter with admittance.

Disney has been wondering why many of the resort restaurants aren't doing as well as they once were. Some of it has to do with a dumb down quality thanks to the DDP, part of it is Disney Springs but a lot has to do with locals/frequent guests being put off by how unwelcoming Disney security can be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom