Resort Parking Fees

tecowdw

Original Poster
I know resort parking fees for DVC members staying on points are no charge. Being a DVC member, I sometimes stay at a resort on an annual pass discounted cash room (not DVC cash). Does anyone know if Disney will comp the parking fee on those types of reservations?

It's somewhat crazy that I get free parking at the parks as a passholder, free parking at the DVC resorts on points but have to pay for parking on a passholder reservation. Seems a guest should either always have to pay or never have to pay!

Parking fees have always been a pet peeve. ;)

eliza61nyc

I think the issue (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) with dvc is that a lot of what disney can and cannot do is in our ownership agreement. I don't think Disney can force us to pay for parking. the passholder is a program offered by Disney with no contractual obligation behind it so yep they can take away or add perks where they see fit.

I believe that's the gist.

nickys

Premium Member
I think the issue (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) with dvc is that a lot of what disney can and cannot do is in our ownership agreement. I don't think Disney can force us to pay for parking. the passholder is a program offered by Disney with no contractual obligation behind it so yep they can take away or add perks where they see fit.

Yes. The maintenance of the parking lots is something our maintenance fees pay for. We cannot be charged twice for anything, according to Florida state law.

will5mom

Last summer I did a split stay 3 days on points and 3 days a cash room at hotel. I was charged parking fees for the cash stay. I was told by member services that I could book a dvc room and pay cash and not have to pay parking fees.

nickys

Premium Member
Last summer I did a split stay 3 days on points and 3 days a cash room at hotel. I was charged parking fees for the cash stay. I was told by member services that I could book a dvc room and pay cash and not have to pay parking fees.

Yes, if a member books through DVC Member Services, a DVC Member will not pay parking fees.

-a normal points stay
-a DVC cash stay, whether discounted or not
-using points to stay at any other WDW resort

If you book through CRO, you pay the fees.

And if a member rents out a stay, the renter will also not pay fees, since the points used have already contributed towards the parking lot. That is the key. When booking through DVC you are using points (even when you pay cash).

Janir

Wait, I missed the fine print here... If I booked as DVC member using my points at a DVC property, parking at the resort is still free?

nickys

Premium Member
Wait, I missed the fine print here... If I booked as DVC member using my points at a DVC property, parking at the resort is still free?

Yes.

And if you book using points to stay at POR or POP you will also get free parking. Bad use of points mind you, you’d be better off renting your points out and paying cash!

FCivish3

The question is, why are there parking fees at all? There didn’t used to be. I own a business. I don’t charge my visitors to park in my parking lot. It would be ludicrous. So, why does Disney? Why did they set this policy? We know why. And it is just ‘cheap’ of them. We are already spending a ton of money, but they aren’t satisfied with that.

Last edited:

correcaminos

The question is, why are there parking fees at all? There didn’t used to be. I own a business. I don’t charge my visitors to park in my parking lot. It would be ludicrous. So, why does Disney? Why did they set this policy? We know why. And it is just ‘cheap’ of them. We are already spending a ton of money, but they aren’t satisfied with that.

Because they can. I get why Universal does it (they have a space issue there) but not so much with Disney. I suppose we can blame Starwood with their Swan and Dolphin charging. Downtown Disney/Disney Springs followed suit and the rest is history

Lensman

Here is what I think is the most comprehensive news/complaint/rationalization thread. It will at least make you feel you are not alone in your feelings, though it also may serve to infuriate you more with its collective angst.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wdw-resorts-to-add-fees-for-parking.924149/

The least negative thing in the thread is the observation that is reflected in this thread - that DVC may be safe from this move. Or that it is safe until some truly creative lawyering comes into play. And who knows what the new resort contracts will deed? I hope we remain safe and I actually feed moderately confident that parking will continue to be free even in the new Riviera+ contracts. Here's hoping!

nickys

Premium Member
Here is what I think is the most comprehensive news/complaint/rationalization thread. It will at least make you feel you are not alone in your feelings, though it also may serve to infuriate you more with its collective angst.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wdw-resorts-to-add-fees-for-parking.924149/

The least negative thing in the thread is the observation that is reflected in this thread - that DVC may be safe from this move. Or that it is safe until some truly creative lawyering comes into play. And who knows what the new resort contracts will deed? I hope we remain safe and I actually feed moderately confident that parking will continue to be free even in the new Riviera+ contracts. Here's hoping!

Florida laws determine that they cannot charge us. Unless they remove parking lot maintenance from the annual dues. Which would mean cutting the annual dues first. Somehow, I don’t see that happening. :D

Minthorne

Florida laws determine that they cannot charge us. Unless they remove parking lot maintenance from the annual dues. Which would mean cutting the annual dues first. Somehow, I don’t see that happening. :D

I don't see it happening either, since they can charge every owner through the dues but only owners who brought cars if they switched to parking fees.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
DVC owners do not pay for parking at DVC resorts if their reservation is a DVC (not regular Disney travel) reservation, whether it's a points or cash stay. You will, though, be charged parking if you make a regular cash reservation through Disney travel. That's what I've been told. But there's always a but....

I did a regular cash reservation at BLT. I'm DVC. I was told I'd be charged for parking. When looking at my final bill, I was not. I didn't ask for the fee to be waived, it just was. You can always nicely ask the front desk if the fee can be waived.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Disney is the exception to most hotels when it comes to parking. Some resorts, like Boulder Ridge, have smaller lots. And non-resort guests are tempted to use a resort parking lot as their park parking.

Frankly, I think Disney got it backwards. Charge people who aren't staying at the resort or have an ADR at the resort. Paying resort guests are also helping to cover maintenance fees, including the parking lot.

correcaminos

Disney is the exception to most hotels when it comes to parking. Some resorts, like Boulder Ridge, have smaller lots. And non-resort guests are tempted to use a resort parking lot as their park parking.

Frankly, I think Disney got it backwards. Charge people who aren't staying at the resort or have an ADR at the resort. Paying resort guests are also helping to cover maintenance fees, including the parking lot.
Depends on where you go. I only pay parking where there is a premium for space. Never had issues with WDW as a whole. They are doing it because they can. I truly blame Swalphin and Universal (who really has a space premium).

Joe B

I have what I think is a related question. We are two couples planning a stay at Saratoga Springs. Our friends are DVC members staying on points. My wife and I are not DVC members paying cash for a separate SS unit and plan to rent a car that both couples, our friends and us, will use. We will arrive and register at the same time. Do we need simply to give the plate number as if it was our friends’ car to waive the parking fee or will Disney require that the car is rented in their names? Thanks!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I have what I think is a related question. We are two couples planning a stay at Saratoga Springs. Our friends are DVC members staying on points. My wife and I are not DVC members paying cash for a separate SS unit and plan to rent a car that both couples, our friends and us, will use. We will arrive and register at the same time. Do we need simply to give the plate number as if it was our friends’ car to waive the parking fee or will Disney require that the car is rented in their names? Thanks!
If one of the DVC members is able to drive the rental car, have them drive to SS. The member can give their name to the guard at the gate and say, “We’re checking in.” The guard will check his list and admit your vehicle. Since parking is free for DVC members, there is no need to say you have two separate reservations. The assumption will be you are staying in the same room and the car belongs to the member.

If either DVC member cannot drive the car, have one of them sit in the front passenger seat and still be the one conversing with the guard. I typically sit in the passenger seat and always do the “check in” with the guard at the gate, since I’m the one who has booked the reservation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom