Trip Report Resort hopping and Christmas shopping 12/14-12/16/20

Dis1.jpg

Hello friends and fellow magicians! I took a recent no park trip to the World strictly for shopping and resort hopping and thought I would fill you in on some of it. I stayed at the Hilton Disney Springs for 3 days and 2 nights. I haven't stayed at this particular Hilton and arrived around noon on 12/14/21. Really nice front desk manager put me close to the hot tub as requested and gave me one of their refurbished rooms on the 6th floor. I unloaded the car and headed straight for the Springs via the suspended walkway. It was a total of 5 minutes from my room to the temperature check, so I was absolutely thrilled with my room location and time it took me to arrive at the Springs.

cgersic

Original Poster
There was no one in line at the temp check, so I breezed right through. I was concerned since I have vertigo that my pulse and temp were raised due to my walk over the traffic, but all was well. My first stop in DS is always Raglan Road for a pint of Smithwick's Ale, so that's where I went after temp check. There were not many people at DS at all, so it was easy to make it to the Hole in the Wall (Raglan doesn't open until 4 now - even the bar) and I got my beer to go. With pint in hand, I slowly walked to the busses. I try to make Wilderness Lodge my first visit on these type of trips, and today was no different. I walked up to a bus waiting and jumped right on! I'm pretty sure the majority of the bus trips I took this entire stay, I was the only passenger. The resorts seemed very empty along with everywhere else. I made it to my happy place in no time to walk in and greet this beauty. I really took the time this year to get up close and personal with the trees, and I noticed so many decorations that I haven't seen before. (For those of you that don't know me, I'm a Florida resident and am lucky enough to make several visits per year since I live 3 hours away.) I try to make it an annual trip to Disney to at least see all of the trees. After gazing at her beauty for a bit, I headed outdoors to the Geyser Point Grill since I was starting to get a little hungry and a lot thirsty! This is why @Darstarr and I need to meet up - I generally drink way more than I eat when at Disney! And get ready - eating is still hard at Disney!!!

Attachments

• Dis2.JPG
    Dis2.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 166

Songbird76

Following and this sounds like a fun thing to do! (Though I admit I would have such a hard time not wanting to enter the parks)!
I think that would be a problem for me, too. But maybe not if you live close and can go several times a year. But for me, living internationally, we only go once every several years, and we go for a longer period. That's quite different from just taking a weekend to pop in, knowing you'll be back soon.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
This is why @Darstarr and I need to meet up - I generally drink way more than I eat when at Disney! And get ready - eating is still hard at Disney!!!
Well, you are only three hours away....
(north or south?)

Can’t wait to read more!

giphy.gif

And a gif just because 😎

cgersic

Original Poster
Following and this sounds like a fun thing to do! (Though I admit I would have such a hard time not wanting to enter the parks)!
I was really surprised that I didn't have that "tug" but one day tickets are way too expensive these days. On the flip side, I never make it to Disney Springs when I stay on property, so it was nice to be so close to it!

cgersic

Original Poster
I think that would be a problem for me, too. But maybe not if you live close and can go several times a year. But for me, living internationally, we only go once every several years, and we go for a longer period. That's quite different from just taking a weekend to pop in, knowing you'll be back soon.
Definitely different when you live here. At least for me. I've lived in Florida for 25 years and only had an annual pass for one of them! They give such a great discount to Florida residents - you should move here! :D

cgersic

Original Poster
So I made it to Geyser Point and ordered a Kona Longboard and settled in at the bar to enjoy the coming sunset. I debated getting the brisket at this point, but I had a map planned out of where I was headed and decided to wait. First mistake - don't wait to eat! It will get harder! The weather was so perfect and the atmosphere so welcoming that I enjoyed a 2nd Longboard just for good measure. The sun was starting to get lower and my plan was to be on a boat to Magic Kingdom when it set. So I hit the loo and wandered to the dock. A boat was pulling up and only one other family in line, so I was able to enjoy the front with them. The Lodge itself had very few people out and about so you could definitely feel the lighter crowds even outside the parks. Here's a picture for your sunset viewing pleasure...
Dis3.JPG

Ahhhh, what a great view! Then we turned the corner and got closer and saw this
Dis4.JPG

Ummm, what happened here? I haven't seen this in anyone's trip photos?!?

Songbird76

Definitely different when you live here. At least for me. I've lived in Florida for 25 years and only had an annual pass for one of them! They give such a great discount to Florida residents - you should move here! :D
Oh looooord, no. I don't do well with heat and humidity. I get nauseated, headachy, and just feel rotten. I couldn't live in Florida. I do ok at Disney because it's only for a couple of weeks and there's AC, but I need frequent breaks. If I lived in Florida, I'd not be able to go out of my house most of the year. And I have some friends who live there, and they said it's hard to find a place that isn't part of an HOA, and there are very strict rules about things like lawncare...I'm a known plant murderer, and I have hay fever. Having to keep my lawn nice would be very difficult for me. I'm content to just fly to the US once every few years instead. Maybe when I'm elderly, my body will do better in the warmer climate. My mom's aunt and uncle lived in Florida, and we went to visit and we were all too warm, but her aunt would go around closing windows and turning off the AC because she was cold. I'm told that that happens as you get older.

cgersic

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay here! I was only there 2 days - it shouldn't take this long to report on that. :inlove: Once I got myself together after (not) seeing the train station, I had a specific route in mind to get where I was headed. I wanted to time the walking path from MK to the Poly! I wanted the Poly specifically to get the pulled pork nachos from Captain Cook's (yup, that's foreshadowing) so I jumped off the boat and headed to the path. Word to the wise if you are taking this path - hit the bathroom first.! It's exactly a 25 minute stroll and after 2 Longboards at the Lodge, that was too long! Ok, I did pause briefly to see if the Wedding Pavilion was unlocked (I've had the pleasure of finding it unlocked with my niece before she got married!!) and this little one tried too. I told her "you never know until you try"!
Dis5.JPG

Wandered a little further and could see bright lights at the castle. I don't know if you can see them here, but they were super bright beams.
Dis6.JPG

So I made it from the beginning of the walkway to the Poly door that leads to Trader Sam's in exactly 25 minutes! I passed 2 people that were together the entire time. Keep in mind this is just after sunset and I thought for sure people would take this path to see the sunset, so I was quite surprised. Also, there is one single bench about halfway across with no other stopping points.

cgersic

Original Poster
Upon arrival at the Poly, I used the restrooms by Trader Sam's and went outside to mobile order my pulled pork nachos that I had been craving allll day at Captain Cook's. For those of you in the know, they don't have them :cry: Ugh. Now I was really regretting my decision to not have the brisket at Geyser Point! So I trotted up the steps thinking a drink from Tambu Lounge would help and possibly some wings, but nope. Either the lounge was closed, or no one was there, so I continued on. I figured my best bet for food (and yes, more drinks) would be back at Disney Springs, so out front to the busses I went. I sure miss the waterfall in the Poly lobby. I loved it even more when the resort was empty like it was and it seemed you were sitting in the middle of the islands....

Another great bus timing trip! A bus to the Springs pulled up right away and I was on my Shirley Status limo ride! I arrived parched and starving and made a beeline for the place I've read so much about, but hadn't tried yet - the Boathouse. No mobile ordering here! I walked up to the host stand and was seated right away on the dock next to a heater. :inlove: You know it's going to be a great meal when your waitress has the same name as you, right? My first name is Camille and it's pretty rare to meet another one, and she was from Scandinavia to boot! A quick look at the menu and I decided on steamed clams and their soup of the day, along with some yummy bread. I think it took me about 15 minutes to inhale every bit of it. YUMMO!!!
Dis8.JPG

Dis7.JPG

Last edited:

cgersic

Original Poster
I was quite happy to see that although Disney Springs was crowded on a Sunday night, I didn't find anyone not wearing their masks. I took the rest of my drink for my walk back to the Hilton.
Dis10.JPG

I had been looking at all the of the stores at each resort I was at for trinkets for my Christmas shopping. In hindsight, I should have purchased a few things, but I figured I could get them at Disney Springs. No such luck. I had also postponed my stop at the World of Disney store so I could go now (probably close to 8 pm) and the line was wrapped around the building. No thanks! So I went back over the road and got myself ready for a full day of resort hopping the next day.

cgersic

Original Poster
I was up early the next morning ready for my day of resort hopping! I hadn't made much of a plan except to be at Art of Animation at sunset so I could take some night time pictures of the Cars area. I haven't stayed at AoA (I stay at POP if I'm going "value") but have visited the Lion King area and was excited to see the Cozy Cone area with the lights on. Since I had done the monorail resorts the night before, that left me starting at the Boardwalk area. When I got to the busses at Disney Springs, there was one for the Boardwalk waiting, so I hopped on. Apparently, the tree there must not have been much, because I didn't even take a photo! I walked right through to the Boardwalk itself and jumped on a boat to cross Crescent Lake. It was such a beautiful morning and the area was empty! I was definitely surprised at the lack of people, but maybe they were all at the parks? It was going on 10am, but still very empty. I made my way to the lobby to find this beauty staring back at me.
Dis11.JPG

This is one that I definitely got up close with as there were lots of tiny things stuck in between all of the boats. Too fun! I then carried on the the Beach Club and found this little lady.
Dis12.JPG

I am a real fan of the beach and all that it has to offer, so this one was a real favorite! Little trinkets buried inside, just like the ocean water. 😍 Right about this time, I was starting to get a little hungry and a lot thirsty, but it was so beautiful outside that I knew I didn't want to be anywhere inside. So I walked out to the lake, stopping at Hurricane Hanna's for a sandwich and a Pina Colava! If you've never had one of these, I strongly suggest you do because they are DELICIOUS!! I walked out to the beach and found no one there, so I plopped myself down on a beach chair to enjoy a leisurely lunch waterside. After watching the boats go by for an hour or so, I decided to get moving again. I really wanted some more water time, so I jumped on a boat to Hollywood Studios. One other party on the boat, so I go the back all to myself. Sooo relaxing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom