Resort arcade ?

KathyJetson

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere they were doing away with all the arcades. Is this true? We'll be doing a trip around the monorail resorts to look at decorations and I don't want my preteen son to drop dead from boredom. We are staying at Pop. Anyone know if the arcades are still there?

MaxsDad

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere they were doing away with all the arcades. Is this true? We'll be doing a trip around the monorail resorts to look at decorations and I don't want my preteen son to drop dead from boredom. We are staying at Pop. Anyone know if the arcades are still there?
The arcade at Pop was open and running in September. The arcade at the Contemp was in full swing as well.

I could not find one at the Poly. I think it must be gone. The one at the GF was weak to begin with last year. Relatedly, the Space mountain exit Arcade is gone.

wdwfan4ver

The arcade at Pop was open and running in September. The arcade at the Contemp was in full swing as well.

I could not find one at the Poly. I think it must be gone. The one at the GF was weak to begin with last year. Relatedly, the Space mountain exit Arcade is gone.
The arcade being gone at Disney's Polynesian village resort isn't related to the reason Space Mountain Arcade being gone at all.

Disney had rumored plans for Trader Sam's on WDW since 2013 before the Arcade at Polynesian closed due to Trader Sam's Grog Grotto taking its place in March of 2014.

Space Mountain's arcade being gone is caused by the tickets and prizes and that was closed by Feb. 2015 and there was no rumors are indications ahead of time about that arcade being closed before Disney announced the closing the arcade earlier this year.

Last edited:

pajammies

We were just at Beach Club this weekend and their arcade was hoppin!

Curious myself, do they not have the prizes and tickets?

MaxsDad

The arcade being gone at Disney's Polynesian village resort isn't related to the reason Space Mountain Arcade being gone at all.

While I appreciate your info, I think you misunderstood my post.

I did not say, or even imply really, that the Poly closing was related to the Space closing. "Relatedly" is closest to the GF comment, which seems obvious to not be the object of the adverb to me. It was meant to refer to the companies direction with arcades as a whole, in the macro sense. I perhaps should have had it as a stand alone paragraph but I apologize for the confusion.

DisneyFans4Life

May be related or not...but with Disney Quest closing (which is basically a huge arcade), I wonder if we'll start seeing all arcades close. I mean...I think the last thing a parent wants to do at Disney is spend money on arcade games when that can be done at home. You are at Disney after all...there's way more stuff to do.

wdwfan4ver

May be related or not...but with Disney Quest closing (which is basically a huge arcade), I wonder if we'll start seeing all arcades close. I mean...I think the last thing a parent wants to do at Disney is spend money on arcade games when that can be done at home. You are at Disney after all...there's way more stuff to do.
I can tell you where I live, Arcades haven't been that big since the 1990's. The mall doesn't really have an arcade building anymore. The only arcade machines are where they are close to the eating area of the mall.

I don't think Disney Quest closing is going to cause all the arcades close. What happened to Disney Quest is something else. Disney really never bothered updating Disney Quest at all when it came to interactive stuff.

I do question some of the hotels keeping their arcades like in the case of the Boardwalk. The Espnzone Arcade is small and actually part of the space of that building being used for something else.

Disney's problem with closing the arcades in some hotels is what to do with that space and I don't think they another Ariel's on their hands or worse. What I mean by having another Ariel's on the hands is a building in a hotel that isn't used by the general public at all.

Some of the arcades at Disney hotels aren't close to bars, stores, or eating places. The Riverside Arcade and Art of Animation Arcade are prime examples of that.

Disney is limited in what they could with arcades are that aren't connected to a building if you are dealing with a moderate or a value resort. It is very possible that Disney can't do anything a value hotel with an arcade that isn't next door to a shop except for keeping it as an arcade.

While you would think the space of Art of Animation arcade would be big enough like a Trader Sam's, Disney doesn't want that to be turned into a special themed bar since it is a value hotel. Value hotels offer less stuff than a Moderate or a Deluxe.

Last edited:

Bairstow

May be related or not...but with Disney Quest closing (which is basically a huge arcade), I wonder if we'll start seeing all arcades close. I mean...I think the last thing a parent wants to do at Disney is spend money on arcade games when that can be done at home.

....or in your pocket.

These days, about 1/3 of the machines in Disney's arcades are giant-sized replicas of cell phone games.
The rest are all cabinets that rely on control scheme gimmicks, like racing simulators or Guitar Hero.
Few, if any of the cabinets are "normal" button-and-joystick games like I grew up with.

fruit-ninja.jpg

It would me interesting to see more of the upscale resorts at Disney adding the console-based game rooms you see at places like the community hall at Saratoga Springs.

MickeyMomV

Love the hotel arcades! My DS checks in on each one to see what pinball machines they have. :)

Disney Quest is no surprise to me. We were in there just over a year and it was a disappointment. The "and more" part of the water park and more seemed like a waste.

As for space mountain arcade there were rumors that various plans forced the closure. Ride exit store, stop for the train, or other various rumors.

NiarrNDisney

The Boardwalk resorts small arcade near the entrance to the creepy clown pool was closed a couple weeks ago but there were some games left in the sports themed arcade next to the ESPN Club. However a CM mentioned that the two may be merging since both were quite small and did not offer many games giving the resort one large arcade so they can use the space for something else.

blueboxdoctor

This news I did not know, but now that I do know, I'm slightly saddened. Disney Quest was pretty fun, but it seems arcades are losing traction here more so than they already have. The classic arcade games, while not a huge selection, are always fun to play (luckily I live near a Barcade, so I can still get to the classics and right near it is a Dave and Busters, so all is not lost with arcade games). Still not as bad as all the Virgin Megastores closing, that was a big loss, at least for me it was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom