Reserved Viewing for Illuminations has some drawbacks.

Bairstow

Original Poster
Wanted to report in on the reserved viewing area situation for Illuminations.
We used MyMagic+ to reserve a spot for the show last Saturday and it's a mixed bag.
First off, the app doesn't tell you where the viewing area(s) is, though if you ask any cast member they should know. It's a spot of pavement between the two pin/merch kiosks opposite the American Adventure on the Future World side of the lagoon. There is no seating available here and really it's just a roped-off parallegram-shaped area of pavement between the bag of the merch stores and the railing in front of the garden. We reported in about 30 minutes prior to the show and there were already close to 40 people milling around in there, many sitting on the pavement, so we did the same. As we sat, many more people were ushered in behind us. There's no food, drink, or restrooms available in there, and I didn't ask if I could be re-admitted if I chose to leave, but you might want to consider taking care of these things before you enter.

The nice thing about the viewing area is that it is very close, centered, and unobstructed, but by no means will you not be by yourself. A lot of the better viewing areas around the lagoon, especially near Italy were totally deserted, and at least during low seasons would probably be a better place to enjoy the show.

Overall, I'd say it's worthwhile only if you are determined to get the absolute best view of the show possible at all costs or are there on a night so crowded that you anticipate trouble seeing the show from any angle. Families with children, or anyone looking for a more relaxed or intimate experience should probably save their FastPass+ slot for something else.

Illuminations.png

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Sounds like this thing will be a godsend during the busier times. I have all but stopped going to fireworks if I do not have seating lined up in the way of an ADR, desert party, fireworks cruise, etc. I just got so sick of having to defend my land from guests that think because I left 6 inches between myself that railing that it is perfectly acceptable for them to try and slide into it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom