Reputation Readers...Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge

Surferboy567

Original Poster
If you remember when Galaxy’s Edge was announced Disney told us about reputation. If you crash the falcon their will be consequences. You could side with the resistance or first order etc. This system kind of materialized with the Play Disney Parks app and the Star Wars datapad in it where you could gain favor with the resistance or first order. This system to me is very appealing. Back in July, “Reputation Readers” were installed in Disneyland. I’d imagine the same thing happened in WDW since the lands are carbon copies of each other. That being said, are they planning to use these and reference your reputation? Are they waiting for Rise to open or abandoned the concept all together? I don’t think they have abandoned the concept because the reputation works well enough on the app as well as the readers have physically been installed so what gives?

doctornick

Great question. I was wondering how they would even implement the concept in DL (in WDW with magic bands, it would be at least theoretically possible). Certainly, it wouldn't make such sense for all guests, but logging in at a "reputation reader" could in theory kickstart the process to indicate you are a willing participant.

Doesn't seem like it is really going to be used, at least not at the present time. Maybe if they decide to revisit the entertainment for the land, some budget increase may go to providing folks to interactive and use one's "reputation".

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Great question. I was wondering how they would even implement the concept in DL (in WDW with magic bands, it would be at least theoretically possible). Certainly, it wouldn't make such sense for all guests, but logging in at a "reputation reader" could in theory kickstart the process to indicate you are a willing participant.

Doesn't seem like it is really going to be used, at least not at the present time. Maybe if they decide to revisit the entertainment for the land, some budget increase may go to providing folks to interactive and use one's "reputation".

The thing is...they don’t even need to spend any money on it...because they already have. Basically as long as the guest has the Play Disney App open the reputation readers (the only thing that would cost money) could take the data from the app and display for the cast member to make a remark based on the guests allegiance. Since these are already installed (supposedly) no extra budget is required to install them. The app is fairly detailed with tons of quests and achievements (kinda like a MMO like WoW). So all the heavy lifting would be done via the app with only a simple signal needed to be sent to the readers. They could even tie your allegiance to your magic band (although I’m not sure how they would accomplish that). The funny thing this actually is already implemented believe it or not. If you have the app open when flying the falcon Hondo will pay you credits based on how you did and the amount shown at the end of the ride. It even works on the normal Disney Play by way of giving you achievements after you visit specific attractions (including falcon). Speaking of credits their should be some kind of spending system. I realize this may sound like some silly side game but believe me this could add so much dimension to Batuu and all the inhabitants there. Any insiders want to speak up on this? @SWGalaxysEdge seems to know a fair bit about Galaxy’s Edge. @marni1971 you know anything about it?

Last edited:

Janir

I thought the rep system was working off your Play Parks app/Datapad. You can see the datapad has bar graphs regarding factions of FO, Resistance and Scoundrel in your 'profile. The jobs you can find and take and the credits you can earn and then spend with in the datapad Equipment all seem to add up to the rep system bar graphs. My guess for tracking is simply the bluetooth beaconing and the data connection between your phone and the play app backend systems.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I thought the rep system was working off your Play Parks app/Datapad. You can see the datapad has bar graphs regarding factions of FO, Resistance and Scoundrel in your 'profile. The jobs you can find and take and the credits you can earn and then spend with in the datapad Equipment all seem to add up to the rep system bar graphs. My guess for tracking is simply the bluetooth beaconing and the data connection between your phone and the play app backend systems.

You are correct, it runs off the datapad however I’m talking about a mechanism where the cast members can use the reputation readers to make remarks at the guests. Like at Oga’s for example making a sly comment about how they know your a smuggler. Or the one they mentioned you crashed the falcon...and so on.

Janir

You are correct, it runs off the datapad however I’m talking about a mechanism where the cast members can use the reputation readers to make remarks at the guests. Like at Oga’s for example making a sly comment about how they know your a smuggler. Or the one they mentioned you crashed the falcon...and so on.
Should be fairly easy. Just a computer screen for CM to see who's in the area and display their highest faction rating. Tap the name and see more detail about them with all their ratings., all assumign you've left yoru Play app up and running in the area.

Darth Snips

If you remember when Galaxy’s Edge was announced Disney told us about reputation. If you crash the falcon their will be consequences. You could side with the resistance or first order etc. This system kind of materialized with the Play Disney Parks app and the Star Wars datapad in it where you could gain favor with the resistance or first order. This system to me is very appealing. Back in July, “Reputation Readers” were installed in Disneyland. I’d imagine the same thing happened in WDW since the lands are carbon copies of each other. That being said, are they planning to use these and reference your reputation? Are they waiting for Rise to open or abandoned the concept all together? I don’t think they have abandoned the concept because the reputation works well enough on the app as well as the readers have physically been installed so what gives?
I’ve been wondering this myself. I’ve been to GE more times than I can count at this point. I ride the Falcon at least once every time I go, and I always have my Datapad running. I almost always get the credits, but I’ve never had a Cast Member mention my performance. I can even see the reputation scanners tucked beneath the registers. Maybe it’s technical difficulties? You’re right; the money’s already been spent. I wonder why they don’t seem to be utilizing the infrastructure?

EDIT: I just remembered; it has been used in Disneyland, at least once.

Janir

I’ve been wondering this myself. I’ve been to GE more times than I can count at this point. I ride the Falcon at least once every time I go, and I always have my Datapad running. I almost always get the credits, but I’ve never had a Cast Member mention my performance. I can even see the reputation scanners tucked beneath the registers. Maybe it’s technical difficulties? You’re right; the money’s already been spent. I wonder why they don’t seem to be utilizing the infrastructure?
Some coding isn't probably up to scratch yet is my wild a-- guess.

Surferboy567

Original Poster

EDIT: I just remembered; it has been used in Disneyland, at least once.

Maybe their are waiting for Rise? This really doesn’t make much sense...the app really does add to Galaxy’s Edge. Their has to be a reason...right?

doctornick

I remember early reports that when WDI tested the system, it received poor feedback. People wanted to enjoy the land, not be constantly reminded of how they flew the Falcon, especially since the success might depend on a room full of strangers. That was word on the street. Take it or leave it. :rolleyes::)

I believe that, but that is why there is a simple solution: it needs to be "opt in". If someone uses their "data pad" and plays and clicks on some sort of opt in, then CMs know to harass (um, interact in character with) those guests only.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I believe that, but that is why there is a simple solution: it needs to be "opt in". If someone uses their "data pad" and plays and clicks on some sort of opt in, then CMs know to harass (um, interact in character with) those guests only.

Wasn’t their an option to opt in? if I remember correct.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I’ve actually asked the Galaxy’s Edge Discord about this and have heard several accounts of the readers I’ll put them below:

from user hempmilk:“We have them in cantina booths too but nobody taught hostesses how to read them.”-Batuu East

from user broxolm: “I can verify they work at Batuu West. But not many CM's bother to read them. (The ones that do are magic)

from user NabooPilot “It happened to me when I was making a purchase at Droid Depot at Batuu West. The CM at the register mentioned that I’ve flown numerous missions for Hondo and my allegiance was for the Resistance.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
This thing sounds good in promos but only small percentage of guests will even care about it. And a large percentage of them will be disappointed when it doesn't work.

For those who care though (like myself), this could really be the cherry on top. All they have to do is make it an opt in and out type of thing.

FoozieBear

Was wondering this too! Crashed the Falcon in WDW several times with the hope of exploring how that would play out in the land, but didn't find that it led to anything, even with my MagicBand or Play Disney app. Wondering if this concept was abandoned.

YodaMan

To be honest, part of this seems to come down to how much a cast member pays attention/cares. When you scan your magicband at a FP entrance, the screen shows your name to the cast member. And if you’ve input the information into your account, it might also say something like “birthday celebration.” When you see these screens daily and deal with hundreds of guests a day, whether or not you feel like paying attention to these screens and acknowledging the message on them is kind of a crapshoot. I assume these readers are something similar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom