Replica of Epcot

mandib

Original Poster
I was reading a Disney trivia book and it said that before epcot was opened there was a model in which everything was scaled down to the size of 1/8th of an inch. It still ended up being 1,428 square feet. Now my question is what happened to it? Was it demolished? Is it somewhere on property? Thats all for now!! 28 days!

Madison

I imagine that the original source was speaking of the architectural models built before Epcot Center's construction. Several were built, each with progressively more detail.

Sadly, most things built by WDI's model shop are later destroyed. There's simply not enough room to store so many very large models -- imagine a model as large as that for Epcot, but for each of the Disney theme parks around the world and how much space they'd all take.

The models are portable, however. They're built in smaller, manageable sections and can be stored and transported where needed. My understanding is that WDI keeps certain "landmark" models, but I don't know which models or how many that might be.

I wouldn't mind the opportunity to find out, however. I think architectural and concept models are some of the most fascinating works of art created.

MissM

*chuckles*

Hey! Glad someone found my TTA photos helpful! ;)

Seriously, it used to be located in DL back when CoP was there, up on the second floor. Story goes that it was chopped up and what's left is visable when you ride the TTA. As far as I've ever read, what you see is all that's left.
-m

TheOneVader

Actually, I believe mandib is referring to the park Epcot, no? I'm sure that model still lives on in the Imagineering model wharehouse.

mandib

Original Poster
TheOneVader said:
Actually, I believe mandib is referring to the park Epcot, no? I'm sure that model still lives on in the Imagineering model wharehouse.

Yes, thats what I was trying to say, sorry it wasn't clear enough. Where are the Imagineering warehouses?

Woody13

mandib said:
Yes, thats what I was trying to say, sorry it wasn't clear enough. Where are the Imagineering warehouses?
Walt Disney Imagineering
1401 Flower Street
Glendale, CA 91201-2421
(818) 544-6500

CRO-Magnum

If you go looking for it...

WDI sits in a white, very 70's (stylish in a retro way) building in the midst of a warehouse park. Not at all where you'd look naturally for Disney. They have multiple buildings and warehouse space on the opposite side of the street. Honestly I don't remember there even being a sign but it's been a while. It's only a couple of blocks from the highway. The Dreamworks SKG Animation Studio is right there too, but I don't know why. It's the studio that did Shark Tale and the failed Father of the Pride series for NBC.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I believe the 10-15 ft ish EPCOT Center model is still in Innoventions East, in the now closed Backstage Magic / Astuter Computer revue show area above Computer Central.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom