Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castle Cake Apologist

It kind of looks like it's held together with yellow caution tape

I believe those are spray painted on and were meant to be the cut points when the refurb from a few years back was going to be a complete tear down and rebuild like Disneyland's was.

Obviously, that didn't wind up happening, and the Florida coaster has continued to limp along with added trim brakes to try to extend its life ever since. Hopefully a train doesn't jump the track and force their hand before they choose to fix it, like what happened at Disneyland.

21stamps

I believe those are spray painted on and were meant to be the cut points when the refurb from a few years back was going to be a complete tear down and rebuild like Disneyland's was.

Obviously, that didn't wind up happening, and the Florida coaster has continued to limp along with added trim brakes to try to extend its life ever since. Hopefully a train doesn't jump the track and force their hand before they choose to fix it, like what happened at Disneyland.

What happened at Disneyland? I always read people here talk about it, but I don't remember any huge story.

Castle Cake Apologist

What happened at Disneyland? I always read people here talk about it, but I don't remember any huge story.

It was kept decently quiet. Others could probably provide better info, but I believe essentially a train either jumped the track or nearly did during testing one day due to a stress fracture caused by the maintenance issues that were running rampant at Disneyland at the time. The ride was immediately shut down, several months before it was originally scheduled to be closed for its refurbishment. It was already planned to have a total rebuild, but this forced their hand and work began much earlier than planned.

Disney was very fortunate that the issue occurred while the park was closed.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

A few points to make without giving any major bombshells: any outdoor coaster or track would be required to shut down in the event of lightning or heavy rain within a certain radius if it were not covered. An E-ticket addition in the MK would make it much easier in allowing Space to go down for a rebuild in the future. And the Magic Kingdom needs more capacity, not less.
So Space is finally getting the refurb it needs... 4+ years from now.

Absimilliard

The sound system and earthquakes damaged the structure so bad that one morning in 2003, the ride was a "delayed opening". Fast pass distribution started.. and then the word came out that poor Space Mountain was done. Structural issues were discovered and it pushed forward by a few months a planned refurbishment. Vekoma/Dynamic Attractions were obviously not ready yet to start track replacement, so the ride sat dormant a few months.

MUTZIE77

It kind of looks like it's held together with yellow caution tape
According to Martin, those are the cut marks where the torches would have chopped the track apart before they took a torch to the budget. I also believe Martin said that if would have been a full tear down and rebuild with the same layout. I still can't believe the money was allocated and the refurb underway when it was cut.

doctornick

A few points to make without giving any major bombshells: any outdoor coaster or track would be required to shut down in the event of lightning or heavy rain within a certain radius if it were not covered.

So... isn't the Tron ride (assuming an exact clone) completely covered during the outside portions? Would that be enough protection for it to continue to run during the frequent Florida thunderstorms?

TiggerDad

So... isn't the Tron ride (assuming an exact clone) completely covered during the outside portions? Would that be enough protection for it to continue to run during the frequent Florida thunderstorms?
Except for all the people a few pages back who were insisting the roof would get cut by the bean counters when the clone came to Florida. Those people will get wet.

Communicora

Premium Member
Regarding Tron Lightcycles, I am curious as to how Disney will deal with larger guests and disabled guests?

heide-park-toverland-132.jpg

This picture from the prototype Vekoma Motorcycle Coaster show the restraint: you saddle the bike, press your chest against the right black pad and then pull the handles back. This cause the back rest to move down and you're good to go once its locked. At 6'3, 280 lbs, its a bit of a tight fit, but I was ok. Knowing the average WDW guest, I figure they will expand on the "TAV" cars present on the Shanghai Tron Lightcycles.

Two trains in Shanghai see their last car motorcycles replaced with standard seating and lap bar. Knowing the insane demand with guests requiring assistance or won't be able to get the back rest locked, will we see every train equipped with the TAV car at WDW? My friend shot this video of what the ride looks like from the TAV vehicle.

If the demand is there would it be a bad thing? It would have been nice if FoP also had an alternate experience for people who couldn't use the standard ride system. It's smart that they designed Tron to handle this.

PizzaPlanet

Hopefully this will help with the waits at 7DMT, since it will no longer be the newest attraction. It's ridiculous that the D ticket coaster/dark ride is still getting E ticket wait times.

MerlinTheGoat

Hopefully this will help with the waits at 7DMT, since it will no longer be the newest attraction. It's ridiculous that the D ticket coaster/dark ride is still getting E ticket wait times.
I doubt Tron would help to reduce 7DMT waits that much. 7DMT accommodates younger riders, it has a lower height requirement and lower thrill level. Tron would be more likely to reduce waits for Space Mountain. Though if they replace the Speedway with it (as opposed to expanding on unused land), the lines for everything will either stay the same or increase. I'm actually not a huge fan of the Speedway, but it's still needed at the moment to help crowd levels (until they actually fully use up all the expansion plots that have never been built on).

I don't know the capacity for Tron, but low capacity is a factor in why 7DMT gets such long waits (besides appealing to kids and being a popular IP, though it is to be fair also a solid ride).

articos

So you're saying they're getting rid of Space Mountain and will have an uncovered Tron cycle that will only run in lightning storms.

#ThanksShanghai
Yes. However, what I meant by that was they are actually both simultaneously ripping out and enlarging the Speedway, which will now encompass the entirety of the WDW property, all 40+ sq miles, if you can find the entrance, which will not be rebuilt. Cars will now be equipped with quantum flux engines which have not been invented yet. Only kids 7 years or younger will be allowed to drive, and they must stay at at least 97.4 mph, including when embarking and disembarking. One hand and one foot must stay outside the vehicle, but they will not tell you which hand or foot. Using the wrong hand or foot is grounds for ejection from the park, but you will be provided with a fresh churro. The churro will be ejected first, from there, it's up to you to find it. There WILL be a new underwater show scene in the new, demolished-enlarged Speedway, and you may get wet. It will also only run during lightning storms. Also, 20,000 Leagues will be reinstalled in place of the Castle, which will be moved to Nebraska.

Top secret. Don't tell anyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom