Politics Reopening Rally to Be Held Outside Disneyland on Saturday, October 17th

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
>>Now, in a bid to appeal to California Governor Gavin Newsom, some passionate Disneyland lovers have put together a rally that will be held on Harbor Boulevard in front of Disneyland this weekend on Saturday, October 17.

On Facebook, event hosts Natasha Ramirez and Desi d’Amani shared this description:

We will be standing for all the 28,000 castmembers [sic]. who were laid off and with more to come if the gates stay closed.
Standing for the community and businesses that have been affected.

Standing for all the guests from around the world who need joy and inspiration that comes from the magic makers.
We still believe in what Walt Disney said when Disneyland first opened in 1955, “To all that come to this happy place, welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America… with hope that it will be a source for joy and inspiration to all the world.”

We hope to see Disneyland reopen.

We hope that the magic makers feel love and support and know that they are not alone during this time.

We hope to bring awareness of the lives that are impacted because Disneyland is forced to remain closed.

What to bring and other details:
Masks: SAFETY is the #1 key at the Disneyland Resort.
PPE [face masks, face shields, and any other personal protective gear], Sunscreen, Water, etc.
Yourself, Friends, Family, etc.: To celebrate the magic and wonder.
Signs of Support: Keeping messages Disney friendly yet purposeful.
Disney gear highly encouraged. #opendisneyland2020 #openthegates#magicmakersunite

https:///2020/10/disneyland-reopeni...Kzqn8hArS2l8e3rkJgue0JN4TJ-noIK2gbgPKJpx4vZfo

Pacnw

The thought behind this is really very sweet.

It should be interesting how this sentiment develops in the months ahead here in SoCal if Governor Newsom's team doesn't have their minds changed after their Columbus Day vacation to Florida.
wait....what?!?!?

Rich T

“WE WANT TO GROSSLY OVERPAY A HUGE CORPORATION FOR A LESSER EXPERIENCE!!!”
“WE WANT TO GROSSLY OVERPAY A HUGE CORPORATION FOR A LESSER EXPERIENCE!!!”

“WHAT DO WE WANT???”
“TO GROSSLY OVERPAY A HUGE CORPORATION FOR A LESSER EXPERIENCE!!!”
“WHEN DO WE WANT IT???”
“NOWWWWWW!!!!!”

PostScott

I mean if this can actually work, then that'll be great! However I see so many things about this going wrong. First, like a petition, a protest doesn't really do much (sorry first amendment, I love u tho). Second, people could show up without masks and won't social distance. Third, many people won't show up. I don't want this to send a signal to Newsom saying that either, "people aren't ready to be safe at a theme park", or, "people just don't care that much about disney, it's just the executives trying to push and some of the fanbase". I might attend, but I'm not sure if the 45 min drive is worth it. I just hope it goes well.

Last edited:

el_super

"16 attending 83 interested"

I don't exactly have faith that this will get the turnout the organizers want it to

If it's not well attended, it could definitely backfire on them. Coming on the heels of other protests for civil rights and equality, the idea that people are protesting a theme park being closed is well.... really bad optics.

On the other hand, at least they are speaking up for what they feel is important so that's good. I guess.

DavidDL

There's levels to this, obviously. If this rally does take off, then no doubt many of the folks there are folks who simply want to visit the park.

But there would also be folks there who see getting the park open as the answer to bigger problems they believe in fighting. Such as the ability for local Anaheim business owners/workers to continue to feed their families and pay the rent. It's a no-win situation for someone in either case (everything about this pandemic sucks) but there is a legitimate and understandable cause to be fighting for on that side of the fence. Not to say that there isn't on the other, just that there is more to getting the parks open than folks wanting to go in and have a good time.

If I were a Harbor Blvd business owner on the verge of losing everything and wasn't getting the support options I need to help provide a roof and food for my family, then yeah, I'd probably be there with them this weekend too. That's someone speaking up for what they feel is important. Two sides to every coin.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom