Reopening Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They aren't syndicated nationally across hundreds of stations like Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity or All Things Considered. You can't hear them in Kansas City or Atlanta, you have to be in SoCal within the range of their antenna on top of Mount Baldy. But they have 1.2 Million average listeners per day, making them one of the most listened to radio shows not in national syndication.
Well I'm not going to debate their rankings. But if they aren't heard outside the LA region then they are a local market radio program. So maybe they are ranked high in talk radio for their local market and time slot. But I have to assume that other programs, especially syndicated shows, are heard by more people in the region.

But hey I understand they are your favorite radio program. So you keep listening to them.

I can't even imagine what it will be like to get there again! I just want Sacramento to get out of the way and let private industry run their businesses and let American free enterprise take over and choose the winners and losers instead of bureaucrats making those choices for us. I'd like to not have to talk about a California governor keeping Disneyland closed ever again. :)
Well this is a larger conversation that is outside theme parks, and really outside this pandemic. I assume when you say "free enterprise" you really mean "free market". Sorry to inform you but we don't live in a true capitalistic free market system, such a system does not exist. We live in a society of laws, with rules and regulations, overseen by a government. As we've seen throughout history when unregulated, companies tend to try and get away with whatever they can in order to win. So the true free market system fails because of this. So laws and regulations have to be put in place to reign in companies to make the market more fair and equitable for all. So for lack of a better term, which escapes me at the moment, we'll call it a "regulated free market". So as such we have to understand when the government has to come in create policy, even temporary, for the overall well being of the population.

Anyways its an interesting topic, one I used to enjoy discussing in my economics classes. But I think its best if don't go too far into it.

Darkbeer1

Well I'm not going to debate their rankings. But if they aren't heard outside the LA region then they are a local market radio program. So maybe they are ranked high in talk radio for their local market and time slot. But I have to assume that other programs, especially syndicated shows, are heard by more people in the region.

But hey I understand they are your favorite radio program. So you keep listening to them.

Well this is a larger conversation that is outside theme parks, and really outside this pandemic. I assume when you say "free enterprise" you really mean "free market". Sorry to inform you but we don't live in a true capitalistic free market system, such a system does not exist. We live in a society of laws, with rules and regulations, overseen by a government. As we've seen throughout history when unregulated, companies tend to try and get away with whatever they can in order to win. So the true free market system fails because of this. So laws and regulations have to be put in place to reign in companies to make the market more fair and equitable for all. So for lack of a better term, which escapes me at the moment, we'll call it a "regulated free market". So as such we have to understand when the government has to come in create policy, even temporary, for the overall well being of the population.

Anyways its an interesting topic, one I used to enjoy discussing in my economics classes. But I think its best if don't go too far into it.

KFI is currently the 3rd most listened to radio station, and the #1 Talk station in the LA area. (KOST and K-Earth are the top 2, both playing music on the FM spectrum).

Darkbeer1

Press Release -

RecallGavin2020 Reaches 1,927,000 Signatures Against California Governor Newsom with Less than Two Weeks Left to Gather Petitions

OFFICIAL Media Contact:

Randy Economy, Senior Advisor, Official Media Spokesman, RecallGavin2020.com

press@recallgavin2020.com

(FOR RELEASE Wednesday, March 3, 2021)

(Los Angeles, California) The official Recall Campaign against California Governor Gavin Newsom has now gathered more than 1,927,000 signatures as of Wednesday evening, March 3, 2021.

The announcement was made during an online meeting with campaign leaders and volunteers.

A total of 1,497,709 valid signatures must be collected and verified to trigger the recall election.

Orrin Heatlie, Chairman of The California Patriot Coalition, RecallGavin2020 Committee, made the following statement:

“We have cleared another milestone, and now we are entering the final stretch of this part of the official campaign to remove California Governor Gavin Newsom from power and office,” said Heatlie.

“The people of California are speaking loud and clear, and we will continue to work tirelessly until the People of California become the final judge and jury on this recall,” said RecallGavin2020 co-proponent Mike Netter.

“This is now a national and worldwide story. The media is dialed into our campaign and we will continue to tell the real story behind this movement,” said Randy Economy, Senior Advisor of RecallGavin2020.

The California Patriot Coalition/RecallGavin2020 is the official committee responsible for the recall campaign.

To visit the campaign website, go to
www.RecallGavin2020.com. All voters of California can view and download the petition to participate in the campaign.

The deadline for county personnel to submit signatures to the County Registrar of Voters is Saint Patrick’s Day, March17th, so sign ASAP and mail to your county representative who can be found at
https://recallgavin2020.com/county/.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
KFI is currently the 3rd most listened to radio station, and the #1 Talk station in the LA area. (KOST and K-Earth are the top 2, both playing music on the FM spectrum).

That wasn't my point. But really it doesn't matter to me. You guys listen to whatever you listen to and that is fine.

mharrington

I'm guessing some people want a free market?

Anyway, @Disney Irish, I apologize if it seems like I'm beating a dead horse here, but shouldn't Newsom being threatened with recall scare him somewhat, especially now that they have collected more than enough to signatures for such (1,900,000 against a minimum of 1,400,000)? I know I would be quite terrified if I were him. I'm wondering if Newsom would be removed before amusement parks, stadiums, etc., can reopen.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
True free market systems, where no regulations exist, don't work. But this is a larger conversation in economics that is best not had here.

Anyway, @Disney Irish, I apologize if it seems like I'm beating a dead horse here, but shouldn't Newsom being threatened with recall scare him somewhat, especially now that they have collected more than enough to signatures for such (1,900,000 against a minimum of 1,400,000)? I know I would be quite terrified if I were him. I'm wondering if Newsom would be removed before amusement parks, stadiums, etc., can reopen.
First, any recall election wouldn't likely happen until fall.
Second, there is still no guarantee he would lose the election and be removed from office if a recall election is held.
Third, theme parks, stadiums, etc, will likely be reopened long before any recall election happens.

And lastly, I can't speak to his state of mind, but given his political history he likely isn't letting the recall dictate his decisions.

In my opinion the recall is a waste of time that won't get the result that its backers hope happens. Because if things are opened back up before the recall election is held, which is very likely at this point, then its less likely that he'll lose the election.

mharrington

First, any recall election wouldn't likely happen until fall.
Second, there is still no guarantee he would lose the election and be removed from office if a recall election is held.
Third, theme parks, stadiums, etc, will likely be reopened long before any recall election happens.

And lastly, I can't speak to his state of mind, but given his political history he likely isn't letting the recall dictate his decisions.

In my opinion the recall is a waste of time that won't get the result that its backers hope happens. Because if things are opened back up before the recall election is held, which is very likely at this point, then its less likely that he'll lose the election.

My guess is that things reopening are beholden to him, and I would think that things would not change as long as he is around. Mind you, I would like to be mistaken in this case. Like I said, until/unless he comes out and says something, or at the very least, hints at it, neither of which he has done (yet), I'm going to have to assume nothing has changed. To that end, I'm going to assume, until further notice, that he will be recalled before things reopen.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

My guess is that things reopening are beholden to him, and I would think that things would not change as long as he is around. Mind you, I would like to be mistaken in this case. Like I said, until/unless he comes out and says something, or at the very least, hints at it, neither of which he has done (yet), I'm going to have to assume nothing has changed. To that end, I'm going to assume, until further notice, that he will be recalled before things reopen.

The expected Election is August through October, depending on how long the process takes... (Editing out some text to leave the main process and dates).

>>Dates and Deadlines

1. The minimum number of valid signatures required to qualify the recall is 1,495,709 (12% of the 12,464,235 votes cast in the last election for Governor). Valid signatures must be obtained from at least five counties and in each of those counties must equal at least 1% of the last vote for Governor.

2. Date proponent may begin circulating petitions. Wednesday, June 10, 2020

3. Last date for proponent to circulate petition and file with county elections officials. .Wednesday, March 17, 2021

4. Each county elections official must report to the Secretary of State 30 days after a recall has been initiated (Wednesday, June 10, 2020) and every 30 days thereafter all of the following:
1) the number of signatures submitted during that 30-day period ending five days previously, excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays;
2) the cumulative total of all signatures received since the initiation of the recall through the period ending five days previously, excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays;
3) the number of valid signatures, verified pursuant to Section 11104(b), submitted during the previous reporting period, and of valid signatures verified during the current reporting period; and
4) the cumulative total of all valid signatures that have been verified since the initiation of the recall and ending five days previously, excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.

5. When the Secretary of State notifies county elections officials that more than 149,571 signatures have been filed pursuant to Section 11104(d), the county elections officials will have 30 business days to verify all signatures filed in their office as of that date. After each examination, the county elections official is required to certify the results and submit a blank copy of the petition to the Secretary of State.

6. The Secretary of State must maintain a continuous count of the signatures certified by county elections officials.

7. Last day county elections officials may certify the results of their verification of signatures to the Secretary of State. - Thursday, April 29, 2021

8. Within 10 days of receiving certifications from one or more county elections officials indicating that a sufficient number of registered voters signed the petition to initiate a recall election, the Secretary of State shall notify each county elections official. (§ 11108(a)) Note: With this notification to the county elections officials, the Secretary of State will provide a calendar setting forth the specific dates related to the following events detailed below.

9. Supplemental signature withdrawal period: Within 30 business days of the Secretary of State’s notice, as set forth in Item 8 above, any voter who has signed the petition may withdraw his or her name from the recall petition. (§ 11108(b))

10.No later than 10 business days after the supplemental signature withdrawal period, the county elections officials must report the total number of signatures withdrawn to the Secretary of State. (§ 11108(c))

11.Following receipt of the county elections officials’ reports of withdrawn signatures, the Secretary of State must determine if the petition has the requisite number of valid signatures to initiate a recall election and, if so, notify the Department of Finance of the results. If the petition does not have the requisite number of valid signature, the Secretary of State must notify the county elections officials that they must continue to verify signatures; however, this is dependent on a number of factual scenarios such as, if there are additional signatures to verify and whether the circulation period has ended. (§ 11108(c))

12.Upon notification by the Secretary of State that the petition has the requisite number of valid signatures to initiate a recall the Department of Finance shall, in consultation with the affected county elections officials and the Secretary of State, estimate the costs of the recall election and submit this estimate to the Chairperson of the Joint Legislative Budget Committee, Governor, Lieutenant Governor, and the Secretary of State. (§ 11108(d))

13.The Joint Legislative Budget Committee then has 30 days to review and comment on the estimate provided to them by the Department of Finance.

14.Upon the expiration of the Joint Legislative Budget Committee’s 30-day review and comment period, the Secretary of State shall certify to the Governor, Lieutenant Governor that the proponents have submitted a sufficient number of valid signatures to qualify the recall for the ballot. (§§ 11108(e), 11109)

15.The Lieutenant Governor is required to call a recall election to be held not less than 60 days nor more than 80 days from the date of certification of sufficient signatures. << (Removed the 180 day option, as it isn't feasible in this recall).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And its begun, the tier system will be tied to the vaccinations and the tier requirements will be changing:

"Currently, 1.6 million COVID-19 vaccine doses have been administered to individuals who live in the state’s hardest-hit communities — specifically, those in the lowest quartile of the California Healthy Places index, a measure of socioeconomic opportunity that takes into account economic, social, education, housing and transportation factors.

Once 2 million doses have been administered in these communities, the state will relax the threshold by which a county can exit the most restrictive purple category of the state’s four-tier, color-coded reopening plan. In that category, indoor operations are forbidden or severely limited at many businesses and public spaces, including restaurant dining rooms, gyms, museums, zoos and aquariums."

"Counties’ tier assignments are based on three criteria: average daily case rates, adjusted based on the number of tests performed; the testing positivity rate; and a health equity metric intended to ensure that the positivity rate in poorer communities is not significantly worse than the county’s overall figure.

Currently, counties generally must have an adjusted daily coronavirus case rate at or below 7.0 new cases per day per 100,000 people to move from the purple tier to the more permissive red tier.

After the state achieves its 2-million dose goal, however, counties with a case rate of up to 10 new cases per day per 100,000 people will become eligible for the red tier.

The change in policy stands to accelerate the movement for many Southern California counties, allowing them to broadly reopen their economies sooner. Under the new proposed rules, L.A., Orange and San Bernardino counties would already be eligible to exit the purple tier, while Riverside, Ventura and San Diego counties would also be close to qualifying.

Per 100,000 residents, L.A. County currently has an adjusted daily case rate of 7.2; Orange, 7.6; Riverside, 11.3; San Bernardino, 9; San Diego, 10.8 and Ventura, 10.6.

Once a total of 4 million doses are administered to these lower-income communities, state officials will also relax the thresholds for entering the subsequent tiers, the orange and yellow tiers."

So there is your announcement of change. This means the goal for LA and Orange Counties will be to vaccinate faster in its lower income communities. This will allow LA and OC to move to up in the tiers faster.

I expect there to be a press conference in the coming days that outlines this even further.

October82

Not really. I don't say this because Newsom is (or isn't) on "my partisan team" but because it just isn't how state politics work. Among conservatives, Newsom is a deeply unpopular figure. But the problem is that unpopularity is largely limited to conservatives. A majority of Californians, even those who could potentially be persuaded to vote against him, actually agree with his policies. Politics is more than just agreeing or disagreeing with policies, so in a state with a stronger and more well organized GOP, one might see a narrow path to removing him from office. In California, though, that's not going to happen. The recall is really just going to draw the state GOP's resources away from congressional office races that would be far better targets for them.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not really. I don't say this because Newsom is (or isn't) on "my partisan team" but because it just isn't how state politics work. Among conservatives, Newsom is a deeply unpopular figure. But the problem is that unpopularity is largely limited to conservatives. A majority of Californians, even those who could potentially be persuaded to vote against him, actually agree with his policies. Politics is more than just agreeing or disagreeing with policies, so in a state with a stronger and more well organized GOP, one might see a narrow path to removing him from office. In California, though, that's not going to happen. The recall is really just going to draw the state GOP's resources away from congressional office races that would be far better targets for them.
Agreed the likelihood of Newsom being recalled and removed from office is my guess less than 10%. Additionally so far there is no candidate that the GOP has that would be "better". So right now the party can't even agree on a candidate they want to endorse. The GOP should instead focus on local elections if they want to "change" the political landscape of the state.

Californian Elitist

Agreed the likelihood of Newsom being recalled and removed from office is my guess less than 10%. Additionally so far there is no candidate that the GOP has that would be "better". So right now the party can't even agree on a candidate they want to endorse. The GOP should instead focus on local elections if they want to "change" the political landscape of the state.
Even if the GOP did have a candidate, the likelihood of said candidate getting elected in blue California is slim to none.

mharrington

And its begun, the tier system will be tied to the vaccinations and the tier requirements will be changing:

"Currently, 1.6 million COVID-19 vaccine doses have been administered to individuals who live in the state’s hardest-hit communities — specifically, those in the lowest quartile of the California Healthy Places index, a measure of socioeconomic opportunity that takes into account economic, social, education, housing and transportation factors.

Once 2 million doses have been administered in these communities, the state will relax the threshold by which a county can exit the most restrictive purple category of the state’s four-tier, color-coded reopening plan. In that category, indoor operations are forbidden or severely limited at many businesses and public spaces, including restaurant dining rooms, gyms, museums, zoos and aquariums."

"Counties’ tier assignments are based on three criteria: average daily case rates, adjusted based on the number of tests performed; the testing positivity rate; and a health equity metric intended to ensure that the positivity rate in poorer communities is not significantly worse than the county’s overall figure.

Currently, counties generally must have an adjusted daily coronavirus case rate at or below 7.0 new cases per day per 100,000 people to move from the purple tier to the more permissive red tier.

After the state achieves its 2-million dose goal, however, counties with a case rate of up to 10 new cases per day per 100,000 people will become eligible for the red tier.

The change in policy stands to accelerate the movement for many Southern California counties, allowing them to broadly reopen their economies sooner. Under the new proposed rules, L.A., Orange and San Bernardino counties would already be eligible to exit the purple tier, while Riverside, Ventura and San Diego counties would also be close to qualifying.

Per 100,000 residents, L.A. County currently has an adjusted daily case rate of 7.2; Orange, 7.6; Riverside, 11.3; San Bernardino, 9; San Diego, 10.8 and Ventura, 10.6.

Once a total of 4 million doses are administered to these lower-income communities, state officials will also relax the thresholds for entering the subsequent tiers, the orange and yellow tiers."

So there is your announcement of change. This means the goal for LA and Orange Counties will be to vaccinate faster in its lower income communities. This will allow LA and OC to move to up in the tiers faster.

I expect there to be a press conference in the coming days that outlines this even further.

How much further do we have to go before we get to 2 million doses, let alone 4 million? Because I have read that many lower-income communities are being disproportionately aided, especially those of color. And shouldn't have there been a press conference already?

October82

How much further do we have to go before we get to 2 million doses, let alone 4 million? Because I have read that many lower-income communities are being disproportionately aided, especially those of color. And shouldn't have there been a press conference already?

I do not know of reliable statistics on income specifically. However, as one would expect, black and hispanic Californians are less likely (by 2-5x) to be vaccinated as compared to both their share of the population and in terms of the proportion of cases and deaths.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As the article states we're already at 1.6M doses in those communities. So only 400k away from the 2M doses, which California could hit in a manner of days.

Press conference was held yesterday where basic information was provided, hence the news article. More details will be coming out in the next couple days, via a press conference I'm sure.

PiratesMansion

I have seen no report that low income or people of color are being disproportionately aided.

If that is true, however, it is also true that they have weathered a disproportionate number of covid cases and deaths. So maybe they should get some kind of priority.

I know in the Chicago area the data showing which areas were hit hardest by covid and which areas are most likely to have access to vaccinations was a pretty stark difference.

ToTBellHop

I have seen no report that low income or people of color are being disproportionately aided.

If that is true, however, it is also true that they have weathered a disproportionate number of covid cases and deaths. So maybe they should get some kind of priority.

I know in the Chicago area the data showing which areas were hit hardest by covid and which areas are most likely to have access to vaccinations was a pretty stark difference.
Yes. We need outreach to minority populations, the poor, and the undocumented. These groups are a perfect match for JnJ—one-and-done. I want to see pop-up clinics in cities with JnJ. Disney could help out by awarding Mickey pretzels after your shot. They’d be donating pretzels to accelerate their own reopening...”A Shot and a Taste of a Taste of Disney”

DavidNoble

Yes. We need outreach to minority populations, the poor, and the undocumented. These groups are a perfect match for JnJ—one-and-done. I want to see pop-up clinics in cities with JnJ. Disney could help out by awarding Mickey pretzels after your shot. They’d be donating pretzels to accelerate their own reopening...”A Shot and a Taste of a Taste of Disney”

Why are these groups perfect for the one-and-done?

ToTBellHop

Why are these groups perfect for the one-and-done?
Because they are less likely to show up for two doses on a set schedule. They are less likely to seek any medical care, in general. Having a pop-up clinic where people can show up without an appointment and not be expected to return is ideal. One dose of JnJ seems to work better than one dose of Pfizer or Moderna.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So the Blueprint has been updated:

Statewide Vaccine Equity Metric Goal #1:

Purple (Widespread) tier will shift from greater than 7 cases per 100,000 to greater than 10 cases per 100,000; and the Red (Substantial) tier will be widened to 4-7 cases per 100,000 when:

2 million doses have been administered to persons living in the Vaccine Equity Quartile. (assessed statewide).

Orange (Moderate) and Yellow (Minimal) tier ranges will remain the same.

Statewide Vaccine Equity Metric Goal #2:

Purple (Widespread) tier threshold will remain at greater than 10 cases per 100,000, Red (Substantial) tier case rate range will narrow to 6-10 cases per 100,000; and the Orange (Moderate) tier case rate range will shift to 2-5.9 cases per 100,0000. The Yellow (Minimal) tier case rate range will shift to less than 2 cases per 100,000 when:

4 million doses have been administered to persons living in the Vaccine Equity Quartile (assessed statewide).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom