Renting DVC Points for Girls Weekend Trip?

kaitertot5249

Original Poster
I'm looking at renting DVC points for the first time for a trip in May with my best friend. We've never taken a vacation together and we've been talking about this trip for a while now. We're both recent college grads, celebrating being adults (and we want to go relive our childhood in WDW :inlove:), and we're looking for a fun place to stay on-property. We were initially thinking of a moderate but I've been hearing about some benefits of renting DVC points and I wanted to hear what some people's experiences have been. We can't afford to stay Delux at rack rates and after a quick search, I realized that renting might be an affordable alternative for us.

So far I've looked at AKL, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Inn, and Beach Club. Is it worth it for us to splurge on one of these resorts? How does renting work? And which one would be the best fit for us?

Any advice would be helpful, thanks in advance!

dreamfinder

Renting works basically in that the person who owns the points is making the reservation for you, and you are then paying them for the right to use their points. Kind of like a travel agent would, with the caveat that you typically cannot modify your booking once it is made. There are a few sites that act as brokers, or you can try to rent direct from an owner.

My question will almost always be, how much time are you actually planning on spending at the resort? If you won't be there enough to actually use any of the amenities, then it's probably not going to be worth it. They are all nice resorts, but it's up to you if the splurge is worth it or not.

Yes, renting points for a studio may end up being close to comparable to paying rack for a moderate. You would get the kitchenette in room, which might be nice if you will use it. You do only get 1 real bed and one pullout in a studio, so that may be a downside. And you only get trash/towel service on day 3 if you are there for less than a week.

If you plan on spending alot of time in Epcot, particularly drinking around the world, being at Boardwalk or Beach Club might be advantageous. BLT is really best if you would be spending alot of time at MK, and AKL is just an awesome resort.

dreamfinder

Forgot to mention, if you are talking about this upcoming May, make your decision now. DVC tends to book up fairly early, so your choices may be limited and several of the resorts you mentioned already full. Just spot checked, and only Kidani Savannah studio had real solid availability for May, nothing else had more than 5 or 6 days. You may have luck with a wait list, but just keep that in mind.

kaitertot5249

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the info on renting DVC points! As you mentioned, I'm running up against the clock if I want to book for this May using a DVC point rental. I don't think it will work out this year but with all that I've learned about the process through my own research and all of the great responses I got on my posts here, DVC rental looks like it could be in my future! Hopefully someday I can become a DVC member myself but it's just not in the cards for me right now.

Thanks again for your thoughtful response!

EOD K9

Thank you so much for the info on renting DVC points! As you mentioned, I'm running up against the clock if I want to book for this May using a DVC point rental. I don't think it will work out this year but with all that I've learned about the process through my own research and all of the great responses I got on my posts here, DVC rental looks like it could be in my future! Hopefully someday I can become a DVC member myself but it's just not in the cards for me right now.

Thanks again for your thoughtful response!
I've been known to rent my points from time to time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom