Rental cars 2022

IMDREW

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

I have a trip planned to Disney World and Universal this summer in June after not being able to visit since covid. We are super excited to come again but these car rental prices are insane!

Any help or advice would be so much appreciated. Where I used to be able to rent a car for about $500 for my whole trip, prices now are going for $1.200 minimum.

Please help!

DisneyJoe

At the beginning of the pandemic, when travel dropped off, many car rental companies sold their fleets to get $$$.
As travel is picking up, they are slowly restocking, but with the computer chip shortage (and cars nowadays being a big computer) its going slow.

I don't know when car rental prices will come down.

Lilofan

Hi everyone,

I have a trip planned to Disney World and Universal this summer in June after not being able to visit since covid. We are super excited to come again but these car rental prices are insane!

Any help or advice would be so much appreciated. Where I used to be able to rent a car for about $500 for my whole trip, prices now are going for $1.200 minimum.

Please help!
I pulled up Alamo. Daily rental of a midsize in June at Orlando MCO is $100 per day, no minimum. I recently rented a great deal a few weeks ago at $23 per day at MCO / Enterprise.

IMDREW

Original Poster
I pulled up Alamo. Daily rental of a midsize in June at Orlando MCO is $100 per day, no minimum. I recently rented a great deal a few weeks ago at $23 per day at MCO / Enterprise.
Yeah I meant 1.200 minimum for my entire stay.

Thats a great deal! Any tips? Or just got lucky?

Lilofan

I was searching Enterprise and scrolling the options online and found $23 per day ( car to be determined ) at airport . I made the reservation. After I landed at 130am I went to the parking garage where the rentals were. The Enterprise staff member on duty just told me " pick whatever you want ". There were not many to choose at that late hour , Mustangs, SUVs, etc so I just chose a Ford Escape SUV.

IMDREW

Original Poster
I was searching Enterprise and scrolling the options online and found $23 per day ( car to be determined ) at airport . I made the reservation. After I landed at 130am I went to the parking garage where the rentals were. The Enterprise staff member on duty just told me " pick whatever you want ". There were not many to choose at that late hour , Mustangs, SUVs, etc so I just chose a Ford Escape SUV.
Amazing! I’ll be wishing for a same experience!

RoadiJeff

How long is your stay? A month? You never said. I looked up the cost for a week rental of a standard size car from MCO on Priceline a few weeks ago. Total cost, including taxes and fees, was around $260.

screenshot-2022-01-15-at-23-44-31-priceline-checkout-mco-1-22-1-29-png.614238

IMDREW

Original Poster
How long is your stay? A month? You never said. I looked up the cost for a week rental of a standard size car from MCO on Priceline a few weeks ago. Total cost, including taxes and fees, was around $260.

screenshot-2022-01-15-at-23-44-31-priceline-checkout-mco-1-22-1-29-png.614238
My stay is 2 weeks, June 19 - July 3.

I had a bad experience when I got in an accident years ago and wasn't insured. So, after that, I now always take insurance for myself and damage for others (forgot what it's called for a sec). Those tick the prices up very much :(.

I really appreciate you helping me by the way!

G00fyDad

My stay is 2 weeks, June 19 - July 3.

I had a bad experience when I got in an accident years ago and wasn't insured. So, after that, I now always take insurance for myself and damage for others (forgot what it's called for a sec). Those tick the prices up very much :(.

I really appreciate you helping me by the way!
$1200 for two weeks is not bad. I have a minivan through Alamo for $612 for 8 days. I would take that $1200 for a 14 day stay. And you're right, the insurance will always make the price jump to insane levels.

Chip Chipperson

One thing I've learned to do is sign up for Alamo's loyalty program and book the "Pay Later" option, which usually comes out to the same amount as the "Pay Now" option if you're a member. Then, once I have a reservation, I keep checking to see if the price has come down since I booked. If it's come down a decent amount, then I'll cancel and immediately re-book at the lower rate. On our last trip, we saved a couple hundred dollars on a 7-passenger minivan doing that and ended up paying about $150 less for that than we did for a midsize SUV 2 months earlier.

G00fyDad

One thing I've learned to do is sign up for Alamo's loyalty program and book the "Pay Later" option, which usually comes out to the same amount as the "Pay Now" option if you're a member. Then, once I have a reservation, I keep checking to see if the price has come down since I booked. If it's come down a decent amount, then I'll cancel and immediately re-book at the lower rate. On our last trip, we saved a couple hundred dollars on a 7-passenger minivan doing that and ended up paying about $150 less for that than we did for a midsize SUV 2 months earlier.

That's what I did.

Patcheslee

Avoid Budget, made reservations in January 2020 for June trip 1 week $410, CC info got stolen, called to change to updated card number and cost went up to $590. Get there and line was over 2 hours going by their estimate. Had a backup Enterprise reservation because of supply issue reports for Budget. We went to Enterprise after seeing the line, used kiosk in 10 minutes, went to garage and told to pick anything in 2 rows. Cost us $630 for a week (No Mustangs though lol)

G00fyDad

Avoid Budget, made reservations in January 2020 for June trip 1 week $410, CC info got stolen, called to change to updated card number and cost went up to $590. Get there and line was over 2 hours going by their estimate. Had a backup Enterprise reservation because of supply issue reports for Budget. We went to Enterprise after seeing the line, used kiosk in 10 minutes, went to garage and told to pick anything in 2 rows. Cost us $630 for a week (No Mustangs though lol)

That was June last year though. ALL rental car companies were having issues. Some still are. We have an Alamo rental and I have everything setup to walk right by the rental counter and go directly to the garage to pick out a car in the vehicle class I have reserved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom