Rental Car, or not to Rent-a-Car?

Nextinline

My wife and I just booked a trip to WDW from Aug 30-Sept 5, staying at Coronado Springs. We are struggling to decide whether it will be worth booking a rental car, or relying on WDW transportation.

We enjoy the Magical Express, but the buses on property aren't quite as "magical". On our last trip we used WDW transportation, and while it didn't take away from the experience, it was obvious that the transportation system as a whole needed improvement. But then again, I've seen the parking lots at WDW and I'm not sure that waiting for a bus is any worse than parading through a desert of cars in the Florida sun.

Please let me know your thoughts!

BigRedDad

Since our last trip onsite at POR, we have driven down to have a car. It is by far faster to get to parks and back to the resorts. We just booked OKW and will be without a car. I do not plan on spending the extra money to rent a car. If I could get a huge deal for our time at like $100, I would consider it. I don't think that will be likely though. We'll just have to plan accordingly and deal with it.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I drive to WDW and often leave my car parked for the duration of the tip. About the only situation where we drive is if we are going to another resort or if we are going off property.

There might be a few situations were a few minutes might be shave off of travel time, but I have never seen enough of a difference to justify a rental.

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
We usually drive, and so are used to the freedom having a car provides. Our last trip, however, we flew in to MCO, and rented. We used the busses to MK and drove to the other parks to avoid the cross-or-around-the-lake shuffle. And, when we felt like it, we drove off campus to enjoy the other attractions the area offers.

We frankly can't see being helpless mouse-guests...

Upvote 0

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
There are No additional costs for parking on property as a guest & if spending say $200 extra is not going to be an issue id say rent a car & take advantage of it. Personally i rent a care every time I visit and to me its money well spent for the convenience of not having to rely on the buses which can be iffy at best sometimes.

Upvote 0

Much-Pixie-Dust

We always rent a car as we prefer to drive to parks for various reasons. We like the freedom of being able to go to the Target or Walgreen's if needed, as well as driving to the parks. I find it nice to have a break from all people as we leave the parks. We are also water park people, and it is so much quicker to have a rental than using Disney Transit. If it's in your budget, I recommend renting a car.

Upvote 0

Kenny1132

Girlfriend and I are going around the same time and aren't renting a car. I do worry about getting to the parks for rope drop but have been considering using Uber for travel to some of the parks and I know we'll be using Uber for a day at Universal

Upvote 0

Chef Mickey

Disney resort transportation is great. Notice I didn't say perfect, but I think driving your own car is a beating in comparison.

With the new express transportation option, I don't really see much upside to renting a car. Parking lots are huge and you need a good spot to make taking your own car reasonable.You have to deal with traffic, trams, finding a decent spot, etc. Plus, if you want to park hop, it's not going to be convenient.

Personally, I don't think having your own car is really worth much in terms of saving time or being more in control. Just take the bus.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Thanks for the responses so far.

Are there additional fees for parking at the resort? Both hotel and parks?

Not if you are at a Disney resort.

Swan and Dolphin as well as most of the resorts on Hotel Plaza Blvd charge you to park at the hotel.
To be clear about what @Master Yoda is saying:

1. Parking at the resorts is free for resort guests and;
2. Parking at the theme parks is free for resort guests.

If you like Magical Express but also want to rent a car, you can always rent a car once you get to property.

Alamo/National - Walt Disney World Car Care Center, Walt Disney World Dolphin, Shades of Green, and Buena Vista Palace
Avis - Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista
Budget - DoubleTree Suites by Hilton in the Walt Disney World Resort
Dollar - Wyndham Lake Buena Vista

On my next trip, I found a great rate on a one-way rental. I'm taking Magical Express from the airport to my hotel, then when the rest of my family returns to the room for a rest on our first park day, I'm taking the bus over to the Dolphin to pick up the car. Then we'll return it at MCO after the trip, but you could opt to return it to the Dolphin and take DME back.

We rent a car about half the time depending on whether we can find deals or not. Even when we do, we take the bus to Magic Kingdom.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

We dont mind the Disney transportation and I put my keys away for the majority of our trip. I only want to drive when we have off property things to do like going to a dinner shows or some other tourist spot in the Orlando area. Having a vehicle available to you does give you the freedom and option to drive if the need comes up. You have to decide if the cost and convenience makes having a car available to you is the better option. A few more minutes waiting for a bus to arrive and tolerating a sometimes crowded ride doesnt stress me out... things could be worse.... like being home at work.

Upvote 0

wdwfan4ver

For what my party does, renting a car is the right move. Keep in mind that my party likes afternoon breaks and we do have dinner ADRS. A lot of the dinner ADRS are located in WDW hotels. Taking a rental car is better than bus hopping or Disney transportation hopping for that matter just to get to an ADR that is located in a Disney hotel for that. If I use Disney transportation from the hotel I stay at to another Disney hotel for an ADR, I get less time to rest at the hotel I stay at.

We also use the rental car for picking up certain things that costs less outside of a Disney hotel store.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

If you want a car handy because are planning on park hopping you can check out the Express bus that goes from park to park. I don't remember how much it cost but it may be cheaper than renting a car for the week. Won't be helpful if you are trying to get to the parks for rope drop but it's an idea.

Upvote 0

carriebeth

We don't rent a car. For a family of 10 it would mean renting a large passenger van which is expensive when it is not necessary. Plus my children love the fact that they can be out of their carseats for nearly a couple weeks once we get out of our vehicle at the airport! Renting would also mean taking our carseats for the little ones which is a hassle when you already have luggage for 10 etc.

THere are times when we have to wait a bit longer than expected for the bus. Its mainly at park closes. Which is basically to be expected really. There are lots of rides we end up standing. We arrive at parks prior to rope drop and find the earlier you are at bus stops the less crowded it is. Also, a bus to the parks with extra magic hours will be much more crowded than those parks without. Magic Kingdom is always more crowded too. Getting to other resorts for dining can get a little tricky. I find the best thing to do is schedule those when you are either done with the park for the day or when you are at a park near that resort (like doing Boma when you are at AK)

Upvote 0

Goofyernmost

Since our last trip onsite at POR, we have driven down to have a car. It is by far faster to get to parks and back to the resorts. We just booked OKW and will be without a car. I do not plan on spending the extra money to rent a car. If I could get a huge deal for our time at like $100, I would consider it. I don't think that will be likely though. We'll just have to plan accordingly and deal with it.
If I fly down I don't even consider not having a Rental care, whether I stay onsite or offsite. I have this thing, not unlike the problem that germaphobes have in that I cannot stand being a captive. If I want to leave the grounds, I want to leave the grounds. I find that driving for the most part is faster then waiting for a bus both directions. I know many don't agree with that, but, I have tested that theory many times over the past 34 years and I know it is quicker. But, to each his own. My advise is to get a rental car. It adds massive amounts of flexibility to your trip with just a little courage there is whole new world to discover.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

I agree completely. That is the reason we drive. However, the rental prices I am seeing right now are insanely high. As it gets closer, I will try to Priceline them and see what I can get.

Upvote 0

Nextinline

Original Poster
Are bus schedules or arrival times are being published somewhere? Either at the parks, at the resorts or on the app? Last time we went in 2014 this was not the case, but I thought I read something about this being a possibility for some resorts.

This would make a huge difference in anticipating when to leave the room or parks to catch the bus without waiting an excessive amount of time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom