Rent or bring our stroller?

Joey Jurado

Original Poster
Those who have flown with stroller and / or have rented one at the parks, what is your take on it? what is more of a hassle, renting one, will pretty much be equivalent to the cost of purchasing one, but carrying it to and from the plane and to and from the parks/ room, also seems a little inconvenient. should we take ours, or just spend that much on renting? :S

thanks!

DisneyBaby823

We'll be going in May 2015, our baby will be 20-months old. I have not looked up the costs of stroller rentals but we will be there for ten days to do Disney, Universal, and other things; so I have to assume that I'll need a stroller for much more than just the parks.
I have a stroller obsession, so I already have 4!!!! One is a lightweight Jeep stroller - less than 12-lbs and has an extra pull-down canopy, which will be great for that Florida sun! It's more comfortable for my baby (now) than the umbrella strollers but not as comfortable as the real strollers (but he's only 9m now), so I think the Jeep stroller will be more comfy for him by the time we go not to mention easier for us to lug around!

Joey Jurado

Original Poster
We'll be going in May 2015, our baby will be 20-months old. I have not looked up the costs of stroller rentals but we will be there for ten days to do Disney, Universal, and other things; so I have to assume that I'll need a stroller for much more than just the parks.
I have a stroller obsession, so I already have 4!!!! One is a lightweight Jeep stroller - less than 12-lbs and has an extra pull-down canopy, which will be great for that Florida sun! It's more comfortable for my baby (now) than the umbrella strollers but not as comfortable as the real strollers (but he's only 9m now), so I think the Jeep stroller will be more comfy for him by the time we go not to mention easier for us to lug around!

wow, by that time you will probably have a couple more ;)

the cost is 15 dlls + tax I assume. so for a 10 day it is equal to the cost of anotherone.. I know that's extra cash for souvenirs but I just don't know how tedious it is carrying it all over the place.

gooftroop5

We have always taken our own. However, there are pros and cons to taking your own and renting.

You have to remove the kid(s) and fold it up on the buses and some of the small boats. That can be a hassle, especially if you are like us and have 3 kids. However if you have your own you don't have to worry about renting/returning everywhere. Taking your own also means you have the convenience of having it with you all the time (resort, shopping, etc). I like having my own because I can bring a rain cover that I know will work.

I think it is a toss-up and depends on how many kids you have and what their ages are.

DVCPluto

Bring your own! At the end of the day, when your little one is passed out from a great day in the parks, and you're exhausted, too, the last thing you want to do is drag them out of the stroller and carry them everywhere.

Yes, you have to take them out to get on a bus... But not on most boats or the monorail. And you don't have to hold them while waiting for the bus... They can continue to snooze and relax.

You also avoid that horrible stroller rental line.

I guess I feel pretty strongly about this :rolleyes:

gooftroop5

Bring your own! At the end of the day, when your little one is passed out from a great day in the parks, and you're exhausted, too, the last thing you want to do is drag them out of the stroller and carry them everywhere.

Yes, you have to take them out to get on a bus... But not on most boats or the monorail. And you don't have to hold them while waiting for the bus... They can continue to snooze and relax.

You also avoid that horrible stroller rental line.

I guess I feel pretty strongly about this :rolleyes:

You said that so much better than I did. ;) I know some people swear by renting them, but I like having it with me all the time. I always wondered what would happen if we wanted to rent a stroller and there weren't any left?!?! :eek:

DVCPluto

You said that so much better than I did. ;) I know some people swear by renting them, but I like having it with me all the time. I always wondered what would happen if we wanted to rent a stroller and there weren't any left?!?! :eek:

I couldn't get beyond the germ factor -sure sure, they clean them - so it was never a debate for me. Guess I built up my defense in case the DH brought it up. ;)

Last year we brought our jeep Cherokee stroller for my 2 1/2 yr old.. The best thing is that it folds in 2 seconds with one hand! I have 2 clips on the handle so I can clip a small north face back pack to the stroller. This year I'm bringing 2 of these same strollers (my parents have an identical one for when my kids go to their house). My 3 1/2 year old and 12 month old will be using them. One stroller will go to the airplane gate for the baby and the other I am checking with the luggage since the 3 year old won't need it at the airport.

LAM378

Don't rent a stroller from the parks. It's just hot, hard, expensive plastic that doesn't even recline. Also: dirty.

If you have a suitable stroller,
I don't see any real hassle in bringing it, especially if your child is young enough to really need it at the airport. Yes, it will be annoying to have to collapse it on certain forms of transportation. But, better to have it and collapse it for a few minutes, than not have it and have to carry a sleeping child all the way from the bus to your hotel room ;).

Btw, there are outside companies from which you can rent "nice" (and usually clean), easy-fold strollers that are dropped off and picked up at your resort. Costs about $100 for a week. I did this last month and it was great. However, if I had my own stroller (I don't because at home, stroller days are long gone) I'd just bring it and save the expense.

Joey Jurado

Original Poster
@DisneyBaby823 is that the Jeep Cherokee stroller you have?

dadddio

Our kids are three and four, so they don't use strollers at home, anymore. Plus, our double stroller is a Kolcraft Contours Optima tandem stroller which was awesome and a great choice for us when the kids were smaller, but it isn't a hop-in hop-out stroller, at all.

On our last trip to WDW, we left the stroller at home and rented a City Mini double from one of the off-site rental places. I don't remember which one, apple, maybe. Anyway, this worked out great. The stroller was waiting for us when we arrived at the hotel and we just left it at baggage services when we checked out. It was clean and in good repair. We had one issue with it, but we called up the company and they swapped it out for us.

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
I can't see paying a rental to use something I already own. As for the convenience, yes, you'd want to have access to your stroller all the time because as many have mentioned, at the end of a long day, you don't want to have to carry your purse, baby bag, the souvenir popcorn container you bought, the balloon he/she just had to have PLUS a sleeping child.

SAV

We always brought our own with. But we also rent a car every trip, so it was really easy and I didn't have to bring it on a bus. And the reasons already mentioned(use it at the airport, outside of the parks, cleanliness, the recline option, storage, etc.) are all the reasons we did bring our own.

LWB

Bring your own stroller!!! We have flown (taking a double) and driven (taking a single) and it was worth it!!!

You don't have to wait in line to pick up a stroller or drop off a stroller. You have the stroller when your kid is asleep and you don't have to wake them up! (If you do decide to rent, don't rent at the park - those look terribly uncomfortable! Plus outside vendors will drop off and pick up for you so it's super easy). Plus it's an easy way to hold the stuff you end up carrying all day.

When we took our double, we had a problem with the front wheel at some point during the week. The bell service guys at the Contemporary saw us with a wobbly wheel and volunteered to help us out - they brought out some tools and tightened the screws so it wouldn't come off and they also put a little more air into our tires so it would push better. Super nice.

Disneydreamer23

I have a Jeep Cherokee Stroller from Walmart 50.00 and I have been using it for a year it is AWESOME It folds up super small and it very light weight, It would be nice being able to use it in the air port while your waiting to board as well! I literally Love this Stroller and It has a nice big space on the bottom for your things

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Jeep-Cherokee-Sport-Stroller-Fuchsia/33392053
kaka.jpg
I have this one and I love it!!! They come in light pink Fushia red and Blue!

Penelope

"Kingdom Strollers" is a service that you can rent from in WDW. Pick up is so easy if you are staying at a Disney Hotel - because the stroller is sent there the day of your check-in and concierge will have it for you. Return is just as easy. No picking up or dropping off issue. The stroller comes with your last name in a bright orange tag so you can also easily find it when you park it for a ride. And the company may provide this service off-resort property I just stay through DVC so don't know if they offer it to other hotels.

We used this the past 2 times and most likely will do so on our next trip.

We liked this service because we felt the price was reasonable given its convenience, and also because it eliminated the stroller on the airplane and Magic Express. Basically it was like bringing our own, without bringing our own. It also was very easy to fold up for the buses never was an issue given the type of strollers they provide. Our stroller is not so easy to fold up and would have been a bus line disaster.

HRHPrincessAriel

I agree with why rent something something you own. I don't know how we would get through airport without one!

We just have an umbrella stroller. I can't imagine lugging our big jogging one around. We carry backpacks for storage and it takes all of 30 seconds to fold.

Just gate check on the plane.

Last edited:

MaryJaneP

We agree with the rent crowd. Couldn't imagine trying to bring on plane, MDE, and in-WDW transport, although others apparently have done so successfully. We actually rented in the parks to avoid any transport (ferry, bus, monorail) problems. We had three kids but only needed brief transport for the youngest two.

Witchy Chick

Those who have flown with stroller and / or have rented one at the parks, what is your take on it? what is more of a hassle, renting one, will pretty much be equivalent to the cost of purchasing one, but carrying it to and from the plane and to and from the parks/ room, also seems a little inconvenient. should we take ours, or just spend that much on renting? :S

thanks!

We did not take ours, but we rented from Kingdom Strollers last year. Kids were aged 4.5 and just under 3 at the time. They were big enough to walk through the airports, but I wanted something for in the parks. A City Mini Double from Kingdom Strollers was about $70 for a 6-day rental. I could not sing their praises enough. LOVED them!!

I would advise against renting one of the Disney strollers (hard plastic as someone mentioned, seats don't recline, and are nearly impossible to find in a sea of look-alike strollers). Also, they cannot leave the park with you -- so you have to dump the kids out and carry them if they are tired. And they are expensive. I'm not sure the cost now, but last year when we went to WDW I think it was $26-$27/day stroller rental. More for a double-stroller. :eek:

We loved our rental from Kingdom Strollers. Each seat reclines independently, so one kid could snooze while the other was awake and upright. Nice big basket underneath, but it was hard to get to with the "cooler bag" (that they provide) also attached. HUGE sunshade with the peekaboo window so you can peek in on the kids. Folds very easily but is bulky when carrying on the buses.

EDIT: $15/day single stroller rental at the parks, $13/day multi-day; $31/day for a double $27/day double for multi-day

Last edited:

buseegal

if you can watch at the airport and see how strollers and car seats are treated going into cargo hold and yes that includes gate check. I have seen both car seats and strollers fall off belt as they are loaded into plane. picked up and just tossed in. even gate checked go under plane. so I would not take a stroller I could not afford to replace while on vacation

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom