Rent a Deluxe Disney Vacation Club Villa without being a DVC member

nickys

Premium Member
has anyone used DVC rental store? and how does this compare to Daves or renting from members themselves? I do know that the DVC rental store offers Cancel for any reason insurance,,,

I haven’t used DVC rental store. I don’t think they charge a deposit for checking availability either, as well as having their own insurance policy.

David’s pays owners more than rental store, so more owners are likely to register with them to rent points out and therefore they have points available. But for a renter, what matters is who has the “right” owner, ie: ones with the points at the required home resort. And rental store won’t work with international owners, not sure about renters.

Renting from a broker provides some extra protection for renters, they take on all the checks etc. If you rent privately you must check them out, check they are legit, and make sure you have a contract (that’s actually required in the deeds).

I would head to the broker sites and make sure you read all the info. Renting points is different from booking direct with Disney. No cancellations, no date changes. No daily housekeeping.

reptar77

I'm a DVC member, we decided to pass on Disney this year due to all the construction. We had 114 points BLT that were going to expire in Dec. We listed them with Davids and within 24hrs we had a booking request for Oct. Overall my experience was extremely easy and I couldn't recommend Davids enough. I wouldn't hesitate to list or rent points from them.

Wendylet

I recently used David’s to rent points for two villas at AKL for October 2020. This is a trip of a lifetime for our extended family so acquiring this resort, specific villa type and set dates was going to prove a real challenge for sure. We had different reservations start dates, same end dates and one long stay of 14 nights and one of 9 nights. Davids was so helpful to me in answering a million questions I had during the process. I was waitlisted and got progressively more anxious as time went on. I eventually took their advice and separated the two reservations so that one was not dependent on the other. That was scary to me as we definitely did not want to be going if one reservation didn’t pull through. Despite feeling nervous about it it was exactly what I needed to do and within a few days I had secured both reservations. As of this moment I have another request into David’s as now the 9 night reservation is able to travel with the rest of us so we are trying to secure the first five nights for them. I have every confidence this will come through and feel very comfortable working with David’s. I would highly recommend them to anyone as they are very professional and a pleasure to deal with.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

DVC Owners... we just listed with David's. Why? DVC denying banking for our 2020 points. David's gives us a REAL option, as opposed to "transfer to RCI" (official WDW line).

David's appears to be fair, solid, and offers us a way to rent out DVC points that WDW will not honor for banking (which appears to be happening to a great many folks). Not a sure thing... but far better than just giving DVC the cash, and walking away crying.

Nastory4

DVC Owners... we just listed with David's. Why? DVC denying banking for our 2020 points. David's gives us a REAL option, as opposed to "transfer to RCI" (official WDW line).

David's appears to be fair, solid, and offers us a way to rent out DVC points that WDW will not honor for banking (which appears to be happening to a great many folks). Not a sure thing... but far better than just giving DVC the cash, and walking away crying.

Same situation with DVC. We have five nights booked in August at The Poly Villas. After hearing New Jersey requires a 14 day self quarantine, we opted not to go. Don't have that much vacation time. For weeks I was trying to get in touch with Member Services. After finally talking to a cast member, I was told I would either forfeit or have to bank with RCI. Spoke to a supervisor that could care less since we were past our banking deadline. Booked back in January. Never knew a world wide pandemic was coming or that I should bank points that I already used.

nickys

Premium Member
Same situation with DVC. We have five nights booked in August at The Poly Villas. After hearing New Jersey requires a 14 day self quarantine, we opted not to go. Don't have that much vacation time. For weeks I was trying to get in touch with Member Services. After finally talking to a cast member, I was told I would either forfeit or have to bank with RCI. Spoke to a supervisor that could care less since we were past our banking deadline. Booked back in January. Never knew a world wide pandemic was coming or that I should bank points that I already used.
They cannot allow points to be banked beyond their window, timeshare laws prevent that. Even the extensions they’ve granted aren’t really extensions but developer points they are gifting to owners affected.

Even if they were able to do that, it would mean that for the following year there would be 133% of annual points in the system. That means around 35% of those points couldn’t then be used to book villas, because they sell points to book 98% of rooms year round. So that then affects every member and some would be unable to use their points and lose them. That is why there are laws surrounding this.

I know it sucks, some people are losing hundreds of points, others just a few.

Suggestions:
Do you have family or friends who could go instead?

Deposit the points into RCI and head somewhere else in the next two years. That’s quite a long time, and there are some nice properties around the US. Europe is slightly less well covered but even in the U.K. there are some options at country clubs and timeshare lodges. I once gave my sister a few days at a lodge in the Scottish Highlands with some points I deposited in RCI after a late cancellation due to MIL’s passing.

Advertise it and see if anyone is interested. The brokers have a load of “confirmed rentals” listed so I would be tempted to do it privately.

edited to clarify about depositing points into RCI.

Last edited:

Nastory4

They cannot allow points to be banked beyond their window, timeshare laws prevent that. Even the extensions they’ve granted aren’t really extensions but developer points they are gifting to owners affected.

Even if they were able to do that, it would mean that for the following year there would be 133% of annual points in the system. That means around 35% of those points couldn’t then be used to book villas, because they sell points to book 98% of rooms year round. So that then affects every member and some would be unable to use their points and lose them. That is why there are laws surrounding this.

I know it sucks, some people are losing hundreds of points, others just a few.

Suggestions:
Do you have family or friends who could go instead?

Bank the points and head somewhere else in the next two years. That’s quite a long time, and there are some nice properties around the US. Europe is slightly less well covered but even in the U.K. there are some options at country clubs and timeshare lodges. I once gave my sister a few days at a lodge in the Scottish Highlands with some points I deposited in RCI after a late cancellation due to MIL’s passing.

Advertise it and see if anyone is interested. The brokers have a load of “confirmed rentals” listed so I would be tempted to do it privately.
Amazing how you explained a situation in a matter of minutes. After CM (who was extremely nice) handed me over to a Supervisor, it was very disturbing to hear how backed up they are and that this is the way that it is. Timeshare laws or not, it would have made me less annoyed if I wasn't on hold for almost two hours.
Thanks for info.

nickys

Premium Member
Amazing how you explained a situation in a matter of minutes. After CM (who was extremely nice) handed me over to a Supervisor, it was very disturbing to hear how backed up they are and that this is the way that it is. Timeshare laws or not, it would have made me less annoyed if I wasn't on hold for almost two hours.
Thanks for info.
You’re welcome. And I edited my post to clarify that when I said “bank the points” I meant to say deposit them into RCI.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Not sure about the rules here, but am I allowed to see if any owners here will rent out their points? Is this the right thread for that? I know they have that option on other boards/ sites. Just looking to rent points/ make a reservation from DVC owners.

Buck Wheelie

We were going to rent our points out one time but we found out if the renter trashes a room, steals something or walks out on a bill the DVC point owner is responsible. The few dollars we could get out of our points didn't seem worth it to rent to someone we didn't know. I haven't heard thats been done often but there are stories out there. I don't know if the rental companies protect against that or not.

nickys

Premium Member
We were going to rent our points out one time but we found out if the renter trashes a room, steals something or walks out on a bill the DVC point owner is responsible. The few dollars we could get out of our points didn't seem worth it to rent to someone we didn't know. I haven't heard thats been done often but there are stories out there. I don't know if the rental companies protect against that or not.
The contract deals with it and I would hope the broker would chase it promptly.

But I have to believe there are very few people who would do that. I know there will always be exceptions. If renting points yourself there needs to be trust on both sides.

Buck Wheelie

I think its a very low percentage that something goes bad on either side of a rental deal. Unfortunately it happens once in a while. Like anything else good service isn't talked about a lot but if something goes bad everyone hears about it.

codatwin

So trying to follow along. I get that you rent points and it only takes care of the villa/resort reservation. I also get you buy your own tickets and link it to your stay in the villa. How does dining work? Can I make my own dining reservations? I read that if I get a disney dining plan (which isn’t available right now), the owner has to call to add it, but what about individual dining reservations?

nickys

Premium Member
So trying to follow along. I get that you rent points and it only takes care of the villa/resort reservation. I also get you buy your own tickets and link it to your stay in the villa. How does dining work? Can I make my own dining reservations? I read that if I get a disney dining plan (which isn’t available right now), the owner has to call to add it, but what about individual dining reservations?
Once you have the reservation linked to your MDE account you have all the same onsite perks that you would staying at a regular DVC resort. Making ADRs, FPsbooking tours etc can all be done as usual.

What you can’t do is make any changes to the reservation. DVC Member Services won’t speak to you about the reservation since your’re not a DVC owner. The dining plan has to be added to the reservation so the owner must do it.

codatwin

Once you have the reservation linked to your MDE account you have all the same onsite perks that you would staying at a regular DVC resort. Making ADRs, FPsbooking tours etc can all be done as usual.

What you can’t do is make any changes to the reservation. DVC Member Services won’t speak to you about the reservation since your’re not a DVC owner. The dining plan has to be added to the reservation so the owner must do it.

Thanks for explaining that. I appreciate it!

cmwade77

The contract deals with it and I would hope the broker would chase it promptly.

But I have to believe there are very few people who would do that. I know there will always be exceptions. If renting points yourself there needs to be trust on both sides.
This is why when we have rented we rent through reputable boards, as we figured members of the boards that have hundreds or thousands of posts were a lot less likely to trash the place. We also used a contract and were paid through square which at the time gave us the option to keep a credit card number on file and charge it if we got charged. Word to the wise if you do rent direct to someone do not accept payment through PayPal or Google pay, both will hold money for up to 90 days because they believe fraud is involved.

nickys

Premium Member
This is why when we have rented we rent through reputable boards, as we figured members of the boards that have hundreds or thousands of posts were a lot less likely to trash the place. We also used a contract and were paid through square which at the time gave us the option to keep a credit card number on file and charge it if we got charged. Word to the wise if you do rent direct to someone do not accept payment through PayPal or Google pay, both will hold money for up to 90 days because they believe fraud is involved.
I use PayPal. Mainly because I’m U.K. based so it’s easier.

When I first used it in Spring and Summer I could ask for payment in $ and it was held separately in PayPal - which is what I liked because if I needed to refund I wouldn’t lose out on the exchange rate. Of course, Pay Pal have now changed things and it’s exchanged to £ when it’s paid.

When renting through a broker I did have to send PayPal verification of my identity; it’s only a problem if you exceed a certain amount in a year. Easy enough to sort out though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom