News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

DonaldDoleWhip

Was it a different experience than Soarin'? I can see how it could be, since Soarin' is much less intense.

What about Forbidden Journey? I think that would give you a similar feeling of actually flying.
Not who you quoted, but I actually found Soarin' (Over California) to be the most successful at convincing me I'm flying. Then again, I almost always requested section B1 to ensure the view was spot-on.

Flight of Passage is a nice effort, and I love the serene moment in the cave immediately followed by a climactic music swell. But the video really looks like computer animation to me, and I never believe I'm actually there. Just feels like I'm on a relatively stationary motorcycle looking at a screen.

Finally, Soarin' Over The World should be treated as a comedy, where you sit as far to the left or right as you can and laugh at the over-the-top transitions and Eiffel Tower distortion.

Can someone please fix the typo in the article “craperie”? Please. Thank you.
Could just be a Freudian slip, and the quick service window is getting a really bad review.

UNCgolf

Not who you quoted, but I actually found Soarin' (Over California) to be the most successful at convincing me I'm flying. Then again, I almost always requested section B1 to ensure the view was spot-on.

Flight of Passage is a nice effort, and I love the serene moment in the cave immediately followed by a climactic music swell. But the video really looks like computer animation to me, and I never believe I'm actually there. Just feels like I'm on a relatively stationary motorcycle looking at a screen.

Finally, Soarin' Over The World should be treated as a comedy, where you sit as far to the left or right as you can and laugh at the over-the-top transitions and Eiffel Tower distortion.

I actually enjoy Soarin' Over the World! I've only been on it twice, though, and I was lucky enough to sit right in the center both times so I didn't get the bad distortion. There is some really bad CGI in it that detracts from the experience, and it's not something I'd wait more than 15-20 minutes for, but I had fun riding it.

I would like to experience the California version sometime.

I also agree with you about FoP. The video is beautiful, but if I could watch it in 4K at home with the soundtrack, that would recreate like 95% of the experience to me. I never felt like I was actually there -- NRJ does a much better job at feeling transportive, regardless of any other flaws it has.

Last edited:

No Name

It's all relative, of course. For some people (like me) the heavy reliance on screens will make it underwhelming almost by default because they simply fail to make me feel like I'm actually there.
I mean sometimes staticky animatronics don’t make you feel like you’re there either. In the Ratatouille ride the screens are blended with everything pretty poorly, and there’s no motion base on the vehicle to correlate with the movement on screen, which I think is what really hurts the experience.

UNCgolf

Hard disagree here. I can't even put my finger on why, but NRJ just really does absolutely nothing for me. Might be that I don't care much for the Avatar world in general; all the live entertainment in the area typically has me rolling my eyes too.

I've never even seen Avatar, so it's not any connection to the IP -- it just makes me feel like I'm actually on a river on another planet. The set design is excellent, even if there are other flaws in the ride.

Did you have to wait a long time to ride NRJ? I'm convinced that's a big part of the issue for many people. It's definitely going to be underwhelming if you waited 90 minutes to ride it; it's not that kind of ride.

UNCgolf

I mean sometimes staticky animatronics don’t make you feel like you’re there either. In the Ratatouille ride the screens are blended with everything pretty poorly, and there’s no motion base on the vehicle to correlate with the movement on screen, which I think is what really hurts the experience.

Sure -- the overall set design may be the most important foundational aspect of a ride for me. It's why I think Frozen Ever After is pretty bad; the animatronics are excellent but for most of the ride they're surrounded by almost nothing. It's almost like they're in a black void at times.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Hard disagree here. I can't even put my finger on why, but NRJ just really does absolutely nothing for me. Might be that I don't care much for the Avatar world in general; all the live entertainment in the area typically has me rolling my eyes too.

I think for me it's because I look at it and all I see is "Oh they used this technology to do this effect, I wonder how they did that one, probably ______ ". Younger people or those not as into the behind the scenes stuff probably enjoy it more.

My problem is that it's very short and there's absolutely nothing that happens beyond ambience and a song at the end.

DonaldDoleWhip

Sure -- the overall set design may be the most important foundational aspect of a ride for me. It's why I think Frozen Ever After is pretty bad; the animatronics are excellent but for most of the ride they're surrounded by almost nothing. It's almost like they're in a black void at times.
I begrudgingly find Frozen Ever After more enjoyable than Maelstrom, but when I rode with my older sister she found it laughably bad and phoned in. The critiques are absolutely valid.

Rat might be a better experience on balance, but I wish it had an AA stacking up to Elsa or Olaf (let alone the Shaman on NRJ).

I don’t care much for the Avatar world either, but I do like Pandora—albeit not as much as Africa or Asia.

That said, I don’t find either of the attractions to be the star of the land; it would have to be the impressive landscape. In second place: steak and chicken combo bowl at Satu’li Canteen.

James Alucobond

Did you have to wait a long time to ride NRJ? I'm convinced that's a big part of the issue for many people. It's definitely going to be underwhelming if you waited 90 minutes to ride it; it's not that kind of ride.
I had it as a FastPass. I can appreciate good set design, but I guess I just want at least some sort of narrative or something. The detail is lovely, but it's like nothing is done with it. I agree that there are troubling voids in experiences like Frozen Ever After and Under the Sea, but I'd still rather get on either because I feel like I watched something happen. 🤷‍♂️

UNCgolf

I had it as a FastPass. I can appreciate good set design, but I guess I just want at least some sort of narrative or something. The detail is lovely, but it's like nothing is done with it. I agree that there are troubling voids in experiences like Frozen Ever After and Under the Sea, but I'd still rather get on either because I feel like I watched something happen. 🤷‍♂️

I'd like a narrative as well -- it's one of the reasons I don't think NRJ is a masterpiece or anything close to it. I definitely prefer it to FEA and Little Mermaid, though.

Poseidon Quest

I can appreciate good set design, but I guess I just want at least some sort of narrative or something. The detail is lovely, but it's like nothing is done with it.

I don't think that the attraction would benefit from a narrative. Pirates doesn't have a narrative other than the shoe-horned Jack Sparrow story-line, but I think what makes it interesting is how well detailed and distinctly different all of the scenes are. River Journey's sets look great, but the scenes themselves are extremely sparse on content. Nothing distinguishes one scene from another other than just animals looking at you. I think that the attraction would also benefit extremely well from having physical figures populate those scenes. That's the issue with the Shaman. It looks great, but they blew all of their budget on it. An abundance of figures with lower levels of animation would be highly preferable to the startled animals on screens.

UNCgolf

I don't think that the attraction would benefit from a narrative. Pirates doesn't have a narrative other than the shoe-horned Jack Sparrow story-line, but I think what makes it interesting is how well detailed and distinctly different all of the scenes are. River Journey's sets look great, but the scenes themselves are extremely sparse on content. Nothing distinguishes one scene from another other than just animals looking at you. I think that the attraction would also benefit extremely well from having physical figures populate those scenes. That's the issue with the Shaman. It looks great, but they blew all of their budget on it. An abundance of figures with lower levels of animation would be highly preferable to the startled animals on screens.

I agree with this -- if there was just one creature AA in each area, the ride would really be elevated. If it was a choice of one or the other, I'd dump the Shaman and add multiple lesser AAs scattered throughout the ride instead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom