News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Its crazy to me that right now (+/-2years) disney is building more new stuff than ever and people are still upset lol. New Star Wars Lands, Avengers Land, Toy Story Land, MMRR, Gotg Coaster, Tron Coaster, Space 220, Remi, and so much more. And thats just in USA.
Take those combined budgets and compare to what P&R made over the last seven years. Given the price of admission it’s the least the guest should be getting.

Then shave at least 1/3 off the budget for what they should have cost. There’s also the discussion of design choice and budget allocation but that’s another story being had elsewhere.

UNCgolf

yes it is, and you cant blame them. They have billions of dollars being spent right now on park improvement and covid screwed up their budget and they have to move money around to make things work.

Its crazy to me that right now (+/-2years) disney is building more new stuff than ever and people are still upset lol. New Star Wars Lands, Avengers Land, Toy Story Land, MMRR, Gotg Coaster, Tron Coaster, Space 220, Remi, and so much more. And thats just in USA. Many BIllions are beings spent in Paris/China/Tokyo as well

We are in a period of growth that is insane and people should feel lucky instead of entitled

The problem is that they're spending a bunch of money on mostly (notice I didn't say all) mediocre to bad stuff that's often worse than what it replaced -- along with the fact that it's mostly replacements instead of actual new additions in general. For example, MMRR is one of the better things they've built, but it didn't really add much to the park because it replaced an existing classic instead of going in as a new build.

You can't complain too much about them spending money (although you can complain some considering how much they're charging), but you can certainly complain about what they're spending it on.

Last edited:

J4546

I wouldnt say its mostly mediocre, but those are opinions so I cant say youre wrong. But IMO, Star wars land is good (not great) Avengers land looks like a cool addition to me esp considering what it replaced, Toy Story land is meh I agree but its literally built to cater to and with rides for 6-10 year olds, MMRR is great, GotG Coaster will probably be amazing, Tron is cool, Space 220 looks amazing, and remi looks pretty good....So far Disney is doing pretty good imo, but yours may differ and thats cool.

And about what theyre charging, yeah its a lot I agree, But Its for a first class theme park experience. Its also for a polite and cheerful and fully staffed park thats kept clean, and also as "elitist" as this may sound (btw Im poor and live in a studio apt in koreatown with no parking) but having a high price point does keep alot of annoying shi**y people out of the park. For how many times Ive been to cheaper parks and have heard loud cussing and racial slurs being yelled by loud annoying groups of idiots, Ill pay extra to not experience that annoyance.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I wouldnt say its mostly mediocre, but those are opinions so I cant say youre wrong. But IMO, Star wars land is good (not great) Avengers land looks like a cool addition to me esp considering what it replaced, Toy Story land is meh I agree but its literally built to cater to and with rides for 6-10 year olds, MMRR is great, GotG Coaster will probably be amazing, Tron is cool, Space 220 looks amazing, and remi looks pretty good....So far Disney is doing pretty good imo, but yours may differ and thats cool.

I edited while you were responding, but I'll repeat it here -- sure, MMRR is actually pretty good, but since it replaced a classic attraction it didn't really add anything to DHS. It would be a lot easier to look at it as a great use of money if it was built as a new addition to add capacity to the park. Instead they spent money without actually doing anything to actually make guests need to spend more time at the park (just with regards to MMRR, that is).

J4546

I edited while you were responding, but I'll repeat it here -- sure, MMRR is actually pretty good, but since it replaced a classic attraction it didn't really add anything to DHS. It would be a lot easier to look at it as a great use of money if it was built as a new addition to add capacity to the park. Instead they spent money without actually doing anything to actually make guests need to spend more time at the park (just with regards to MMRR, that is).
I hear ya, but they also added star wars land and toy story land to DHS as well. They put in a lot of work at DHS recently and theres still alot more to do, but everything takes time and steps. Now DHS is a much better overall park imo but I still consider it the weakest of the 4 in FL and hopefully they will announce another big change at DHS soon. (cmon massive indiana jones expansion)

Anyways, Im just more of an optimist with this stuff I suppose. Im also pro-PatF retheme at DL as well

mergatroid

Is there a way Disney could do the same and do surprised softs for Ratatouille even by summer? More CMs are coming back. DCP is coming back. October is far too long for a complete ride.

The strategies of Universal are really working cause they basically have the upper hand now. Surprise soft opening weeks before the intended opening is amazing especially if I'm there expecting it to open next month but I'm all of a sudden being able to ride it.
Disney have done this multiple times with their rides, it's not particularly a Universal strategy. Universal also messed a lot of people around when they opened Hagrids ride before it was ready. Many days people queued for hours and the ride would go down. After going down there was little to no communication to guests and people weren't happy. Sometimes these things work for you and sometimes they don't, both parks have records of getting things spectacularly wrong and spectacularly right.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Different kinda speed

1621465840258.png

Bocabear

yes it is, and you cant blame them. They have billions of dollars being spent right now on park improvement and covid screwed up their budget and they have to move money around to make things work.

Its crazy to me that right now (+/-2years) disney is building more new stuff than ever and people are still upset lol. New Star Wars Lands, Avengers Land, Toy Story Land, MMRR, Gotg Coaster, Tron Coaster, Space 220, Remi, and so much more. And thats just in USA. Many BIllions are beings spent in Paris/China/Tokyo as well

We are in a period of growth that is insane and people should feel lucky instead of entitled
They allowed the parks to languish for years...DHS in particular got down to 5 rides in the whole park... They HAD to make these improvements... And they should have made additions to all of these parks YEARS ago... Yes I love that they are in a growth spurt, but as we see so often, it is replacement, not additions when additional capacity is needed, They have great ideas that are then value engineered out of existence after huge publicity releases, all the while continuing to raise prices... two 3-day park hoppers were just under a thousand dollars... They should and can do better...

RSoxNo1

They allowed the parks to languish for years...DHS in particular got down to 5 rides in the whole park... They HAD to make these improvements... And they should have made additions to all of these parks YEARS ago... Yes I love that they are in a growth spurt, but as we see so often, it is replacement, not additions when additional capacity is needed, They have great ideas that are then value engineered out of existence after huge publicity releases, all the while continuing to raise prices... two 3-day park hoppers were just under a thousand dollars... They should and can do better...
DHS was down to 3 rides for a few days and 4 rides for longer.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

That’s what happens when you have two high-level execs who believed that their theme parks were “mature”. As a result, they spent a billion-plus on a system to avoid building new rides, reality slapped them across the face soon after and they had to start playing catch up, then they hired a merchandise guy to run P&R, and the rest is history.

Sorcerer Mickey

Disney have done this multiple times with their rides, it's not particularly a Universal strategy. Universal also messed a lot of people around when they opened Hagrids ride before it was ready. Many days people queued for hours and the ride would go down. After going down there was little to no communication to guests and people weren't happy. Sometimes these things work for you and sometimes they don't, both parks have records of getting things spectacularly wrong and spectacularly right.

This still happens with RotR.

TrojanUSC

WDW is run by incompetent people who are out of touch. This ride should have opened last year.

In addition to expanding capacity, they build rides to generate buzz and draw crowds. Last year was the worst possible time to draw a crowd and generate buzz. They'd have burned their press hit for it with little to no reward. Could it open now, for the summer, and do what they want? Absolutely, but they want to do it for the new fiscal year and for the 50th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom