News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
In your plan you don't even need that final leg. Just have the end station there next to Boardwalk. It would give those Hotels slightly better access to it while also still being close to Epcot's entrance AND have plenty of space for the overflow line after the nighttime show ends. Would also possibly allow a Skyliner extension to other areas over the lake and beyond.
Very true. I was trying to placate anyone who resented the extra five minute walk to the park but that would have been even cheaper than my zig zag.
Would this in competition for the Skyliner or decades ago?
Way before the cable car.

UNCgolf

Top of my head there were monorail stations proposed for the Yacht/Beach, Swolphin/Boardwalk and CBR.

Oh I'm sure there were plans at some point -- Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk seems like an obvious and relatively easy place (also one of the reasons that the claim that the Skyliner was necessary due to hotel placement didn't make sense).

I meant that I really doubt executives were ever going to sign off on the costs involved to actually build it. I wish they had, though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oh I'm sure there were plans at some point -- Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk seems like an obvious and relatively easy place (also one of the reasons that the claim that the Skyliner was necessary due to hotel placement didn't make sense).

I meant that I really doubt executives were ever going to sign off on the costs involved to actually build it. I wish they had, though.
It had gained more traction for a while and then cheaper options were looked at (trolley car, guided bus, cable car)

I’m waiting to see the effects on the long term master plan Covid has. Especially the east west connector (though again we’re wildly off topic)

mattpeto

It had gained more traction for a while and then cheaper options were looked at (trolley car, guided bus, cable car)

I’m waiting to see the effects on the long term master plan Covid has. Especially the east west connector (though again we’re wildly off topic)

AKL to AK and a DS hop correct were in the cards, correct?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Could the new rail connection to Disney Springs spark a plethora of new transportation options?

Covid has obviously thrown a wrench into the system if that was the plan, but that the general idea?
The east - west connector was proposed to terminate near Cirque du Soleil in Springs so who knows. But like you said, Covid.

Peronslly I’ll believe the rail link when I see it working. But that’s just me.

rreading

Thanks. I meant the 2nd phase of the skyliner.

But that's really cool they had monorail planned to DHS.

Back in the day, it would have made sense. They had the platform at Epcot which (I've heard) was intended for the expansion and it would have been a pretty short distance. That being said, I like the crescent lake boat/walking path connection in that area, so I don't miss the monorail for those hotels. And unless they had created an express, it would not have made sense to take a monorail from GF to TTC to the Epcot station to HS. Would have taken forever.

A direct path from TTC to HS maybe - but probably would have been just as expensive as starting from scratch.

rreading

From what I know so far there’s no second phase. But I’m sure there’s an exec somewhere gushing about how good it is.

It would make sense as an option to get guests from AKL to AK. I understand they've had other considerations as well - but certainly something would be nice.

Dr.GrantSeeker

Top of my head there were monorail stations proposed for the Yacht/Beach, Swolphin/Boardwalk and CBR.
A rendering of yours.
1986 monorail proposal .PNG

doctornick

In general, I think the biggest failing with the master planning if WDW is not having more resorts and “stuff” walking distance. This would help to alleviate some of the transportation needs and congestion.

In particular, for example, why isn’t AKL next to the entrance of DAK and walkable? I’m sure there’s argument about the animal areas at both, but that could have certainly been overcome. And it would have enhanced the dining options at DAK which were quite limited for years.

Same things could be said for maybe putting (say) the water parks next to resorts.

And the Epcot monorail line has buildable space along it. Why not a “fill in” station with a resort along the way?

UNCgolf

In general, I think the biggest failing with the master planning if WDW is not having more resorts and “stuff” walking distance. This would help to alleviate some of the transportation needs and congestion.

In particular, for example, why isn’t AKL next to the entrance of DAK and walkable? I’m sure there’s argument about the animal areas at both, but that could have certainly been overcome. And it would have enhanced the dining options at DAK which were quite limited for years.

Same things could be said for maybe putting (say) the water parks next to resorts.

And the Epcot monorail line has buildable space along it. Why not a “fill in” station with a resort along the way?

I wonder if there were environmental/regulatory reasons for not building more things close together.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I wonder if there were environmental/regulatory reasons for not building more things close together.
That and a lot of the land Disney owns is unbuildable, or so swampy that while you could technically make it work the costs can’t be justified when you could just build nearby. Disney has put in footers only to watch them sink more than once.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom