News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

ToTBellHop

To be fair, there are other ways to do it. The show building for Indiana Jones Adventure is extremely detached from the rest of Adventureland - however, they managed to properly integrate the attraction into the land. Sure, the queue is long, but the entrance isn’t difficult to find or isolated from everything else. Similarly, the exit takes you back to where you started from (I.e. in the land).

On the other hand, to access Ratatouille, you have to go around the entire pavilion. It seems like it will be “themed” well from an aesthetic standpoint (it looks like Paris) but it’s spatial layout relative to the rest of the pavilion is awkward, at best, which is unfortunate, because spatial layout is important in themed design as well. IJA shows that just because the show building is in an awkward place doesn’t mean it has to feel out of the way.
I disagree. There’s more than one street in Paris.

Lensman

All this talk of the organization of the new themed area leading up to and around the Ratatouille attraction got me thinking about when in history the original France pavilion is set and when the Ratatouille area is set.

I mean, I'm aware that even modern Paris is filled with period architecture, but is the main pavilion Second Empire vs the expansion representing another period because the attraction is set in the timeframe of the movie, which is speculatively somewhere between the 1960s and the early 00s?

This could explain the discordant architecture of the crêperie.

I will defer to our resident architectural and Epcot historical experts.

ToTBellHop

All this talk of the organization of the new themed area leading up to and around the Ratatouille attraction got me thinking about when in history the original France pavilion is set and when the Ratatouille area is set.

I mean, I'm aware that even modern Paris is filled with period architecture, but is the main pavilion Second Empire vs the expansion representing another period because the attraction is set in the timeframe of the movie, which is speculatively somewhere between the 1960s and the early 00s?

World Showcase at large is set in present day. That wasn’t always the case, but is now.

justintheharris

In actual Paris, hundred year old buildings stand right next to modern skyscrapers. As they do in many old cities.

justintheharris

To be fair, there are other ways to do it. The show building for Indiana Jones Adventure is extremely detached from the rest of Adventureland - however, they managed to properly integrate the attraction into the land. Sure, the queue is long, but the entrance isn’t difficult to find or isolated from everything else. Similarly, the exit takes you back to where you started from (I.e. in the land).

On the other hand, to access Ratatouille, you have to go around the entire pavilion. It seems like it will be “themed” well from an aesthetic standpoint (it looks like Paris) but it’s spatial layout relative to the rest of the pavilion is awkward, at best, which is unfortunate, because spatial layout is important in themed design as well. IJA shows that just because the show building is in an awkward place doesn’t mean it has to feel out of the way.
As MansionButler said, Paris is a big city with many blocks.

It’s fascinating how many people are doing logical backflips to try and explain how every Disney ride being built is somehow a giant mistake.

Lensman

In actual Paris, hundred year old buildings stand right next to modern skyscrapers. As they do in many old cities.
I'm not an idiot and am aware of that*, however, I thought that Disney chose a period aesthetic for the France pavilion. I haven't noticed any modern skyscrapers represented in the pavilion.

Note: I live in a 130 year old building that stands a few doors down from a new luxury condo. What was most surprising was when my contractor showed me the gas pipes for the lighting before he ripped them out. The building's old coal chute is also fairly quaint.

* Don't worry, I'm not offended or anything. :)

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I'm not an idiot and am aware of that*, however, I thought that Disney chose a period aesthetic for the France pavilion. I haven't noticed any modern skyscrapers represented in the pavilion.

Note: I live in a 130 year old building that stands a few doors down from a new luxury condo. What was most surprising was when my contractor showed me the gas pipes for the lighting before he ripped them out. The building's old coal chute is also fairly quaint.

* Don't worry, I'm not offended or anything. :)
Most WS pavilions are a (slightly nonsensical) hodgepodge of architectural styles to represent a full country in one block. Thus the creperie.

shortstop

As MansionButler said, Paris is a big city with many blocks.

It’s fascinating how many people are doing logical backflips to try and explain how every Disney ride being built is somehow a giant mistake.
I’ve been to Paris, so I’m aware that it’s a large city. Thanks, though.

I’m not saying the ride is a giant mistake (although I’m not really a huge fan of the ride itself). What I’m saying is it’s an awkward fit with the rest of the France pavilion. Two things can be true at once - there’s a happy medium between “best ride ever! What a perfect addition to Epcot” and “worst ride ever! Total abomination”.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I’ve been to Paris, so I’m aware that it’s a large city. Thanks, though.

I’m not saying the ride is a giant mistake (although I’m not really a huge fan of the ride itself). What I’m saying is it’s an awkward fit with the rest of the France pavilion. Two things can be true at once - there’s a happy medium between “best ride ever! What a perfect addition to Epcot” and “worst ride ever! Total abomination”.

Just stop with all that, "I've been there" logic. No place for that in this discussion. What's next? "I've ridden Ratatouille at WDSP, so I can offer an educated opinion on the ride"??? :hilarious: (Side note: I thought seeing the building architect's name and year the building was built engraved on a piece of stone on the second story exterior of so many buildings was fascinating. And I do wish we would have had a chance to visit some of the more modern buildings, but the reasons we didn't are for another time, in another thread.)

I have no problem with Rat, the ride, at the France pavilion. It's physical placement does seem a bit odd, though. I mean, if they were going to take up half of an expansion pad with the ride, why not use the whole thing and make the entrance right off the main path and make it look like it fits?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just stop with all that, "I've been there" logic. No place for that in this discussion. What's next? "I've ridden Ratatouille at WDSP, so I can offer an educated opinion on the ride"??? :hilarious: (Side note: I thought seeing the building architect's name and year the building was built engraved on a piece of stone on the second story exterior of so many buildings was fascinating. And I do wish we would have had a chance to visit some of the more modern buildings, but the reasons we didn't are for another time, in another thread.)

I have no problem with Rat, the ride, at the France pavilion. It's physical placement does seem a bit odd, though. I mean, if they were going to take up half of an expansion pad with the ride, why not use the whole thing and make the entrance right off the main path and make it look like it fits?

Sightline from the gondola needed fixing.

justintheharris

What penguin said and it would’ve caused some dissonance with Canada, UK, France, France part2 with Ratatouille, Morocco. Yes, Frozen did take up another expansion pad but it’s a little more subtle. Also, how can you be immersed in Paris with a giant lake staring at the front of the ride?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What penguin said and it would’ve caused some dissonance with Canada, UK, France, France part2 with Ratatouille, Morocco. Yes, Frozen did take up another expansion pad but it’s a little more subtle. Also, how can you be immersed in Paris with a giant lake staring at the front of the ride?

So there is no water in Paris? :cautious: Could have sworn there was at least a river or something... Maybe I should check my pictures from the Eiffel Tower.

lazyboy97o

Expansions have to go somewhere. Why is 'around back' not good enough for you? They planned and organized the space based off what they originally wanted to build. Now new things are built, and you fit them where they can. I don't see the negative of this.
Expansion does not have to be isolated and unrelated to the spatial organization of what it is expanding. Look at an aerial of World Showcase you can quickly see how the layout of each pavilion is unique. This is not an accident, in each case this layout is part of the design, the space of each pavilion is shaped and defined differently to fit the place being represented. This expansion does not build on or expand the pattern of the existing pavilion. It is something completely separate that will read as separate, so much so that earlier in this thread or the one before it people were asking if there would be a sign directing people around the side of the existing pavilion because it was clear that it would not be readily obvious that walking along the side of the theater and the boundary of the park would actually lead to anything but back stage.

The space of the France Pavilion isn’t laid out on a regular shape like a rectangle, but is instead the interesection of multiple shapes at different angles, a reflection of the haphazard medieval design that continues in Paris and many other French towns. These spaces are also somewhat canyon like, narrow in their width and bounded by tall buildings. This tightness isn’t suffocating as one is able to move into and out of different venues that make up the pavilion, and those that do not allow free access (like the restaurants) still allow visual access to more activity. This all contrasts with the Ratatouille plaza which will be a very regular rectangle with no movement or visual across the building that defines most of the space. Even vertically the bounding of space will be uneven as the restrooms and crêperie will not match the anything close to the theater or new attraction.

lazyboy97o

"Epcot needs more attractions!"

Disney builds Rat.

"It's around back."

There's no pleasing some people. Maybe he would prefer the show building in front, like GOTG?
The location of the show building doesn’t dictate how the attraction interfaces with the land. The problems with Sausalito are different, but you won’t be entering from the north side of the building.

Yes, it’s one of the more absurd complaints. A new ride that fits in the park theme and replaces nothing should be a home run. I wish MMRR was handled like this (“around back of Disney Junior”).
Those are the only criteria by which design is judged? It’s amazing how people love to gush about “details” but think rather basic elements of design are completely unimportant.

Also, how can you be immersed in Paris with a giant lake staring at the front of the ride?
You sure are excited to look at a bathroom.

Animaniac93-98

A new ride that fits in the park theme

That's still debatable. The ride is based on a Hollywood movie that's set in France, but is not a product of French culture or even tells you much about French cuisine. It just happens to take place in a modern French restaurant. You could do the same experience in any of the other World Showcase pavilions simply by dropping the specific Pixar tie-in (you're running through a Chinese restaurant, an Italian restaurant, a Mexican restaurant, etc).

The adjacent Chez Remy Bistro, not being copied for Epcot, does a much better job at immersion and giving guests a chance to learn more about French food, although I agree with the decision not to build it in Florida. It would be redundant with two other table service locations already in the pavilion.

Movielover

Man the snobbery in this thread has been quite high lately. I feel like I need to be wearing a monocle just to even open the thread...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom