News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

Herah

I respectfully disagree. I feel it shows it still attached to the roof of the show buildings. I believe it highly unlikely they will be constructing a new replica and placing it on the ground in the new courtyard.
No, I don't think they're moving it at all. I believe the concept art shows the concept from a guest's point of view, and does not accurately depict forced perspective. The tower in the art is clearly behind both buildings, which makes no physical sense in the real pavilion, so I don't think we can use that art to determine what they'll actually do with it.

I think most likely they'll add some kind of theming there such that you just can't see it at all from the ground in the back

Jambo Dad

No, I don't think they're moving it at all. I believe the concept art shows the concept from a guest's point of view, and does not accurately depict forced perspective. The tower in the art is clearly behind both buildings, which makes no physical sense in the real pavilion, so I don't think we can use that art to determine what they'll actually do with it.

I think most likely they'll add some kind of theming there such that you just can't see it at all from the ground in the back
Agree - the illustration is not intended to be a realistic depiction of the pavilion. Also -when this particular issue was being discussed a few months ago, Marni said they were ‘working on it’ - implying that it was proving to be a bit of a challenge to resolve from the competing perspectives of the expanded pavilion and the skyliner. I remain fascinated to see what the imagineers end up doing.

Missing20K

So if the art is from the guests point of view, and you believe they will obstruct the view of the tower from the new courtyard, then why did they show the tower at all? A guest POV rendering would be at ground level. Why even use a birds-eye perspective drawing if they planned on the guest not being able to see the tower from the new courtyard? Not being snarky, just wondering why you feel this concept art is from a guest POV. Unless that guest happens to be on the Skyliner, a distinct possibility, though the view is still a bit off.

I agree in that they could just use sightline obstructions to avoid guests seeing the tower from the courtyard, but I hope they are more imaginative. And naturally we can't use the art to determine everything, as the ride in the artwork is named "Kitchen Calamity" which is a name with a vocabulary word above the 4th grade, which means Disney won't use it.

Agree - the illustration is not intended to be a realistic depiction of the pavilion. Also -when this particular issue was being discussed a few months ago, Marni said they were ‘working on it’ - implying that it was proving to be a bit of a challenge to resolve from the competing perspectives of the expanded pavilion and the skyliner. I remain fascinated to see what the imagineers end up doing.

Concept art is never a realistic depiction, but it is intended to depict the "concept" of the idea and how it might relate to the existing environment. I never assume the final product will be what the concept art shows, but more often than not, the major elements of the scene are massed properly, placed in the approximate locations and begin to tell the story as experienced by the guest. I'm of the belief that this artwork shows that guests will see the tower from multiple angles. But I agree, it will be very interesting to see how they handle this issue.

sedati

So long as we never see the base of the tower, won’t the illusion of it being behind the buildings sort of work all the way around?
Still remember my first visit in 83 and overhearing a cast member trying to explain to a guest that you couldn’t actually go up the tower.

aladdin2007

So long as we never see the base of the tower, won’t the illusion of it being behind the buildings sort of work all the way around?
Still remember my first visit in 83 and overhearing a cast member trying to explain to a guest that you couldn’t actually go up the tower.

same here lol, as a kid I thought you could. I just hope it will still light up with the sparkling lights on it.

flyerjab

Stopped to take a photo of the gondola at Epcot and was amazed to see how this area has been cleared. You can really see the Ratatouille ride building as you approach the International Gateway. People have been wondering why so much has been cleared away in terms of trees. Some think it is related to the gondola system. I am wondering if it is so that you can see into the expanded pavilion.

8571FE45-FC89-4766-837A-22CAA50AE381.jpeg

Mat Cauthon

I may have missed the discussion somewhere but this photo makes me wonder about the view of the tower from the gondola. Most discussion I've seen is about the view from the new courtyard. Those gondola towers look taller than the roofline and I'm not sure how you could play that off as anything but the Eiffel Tower coming out of the roof.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I may have missed the discussion somewhere but this photo makes me wonder about the view of the tower from the gondola. Most discussion I've seen is about the view from the new courtyard. Those gondola towers look taller than the roofline and I'm not sure how you could play that off as anything but the Eiffel Tower coming out of the roof.

Interpark transportation have always given one peeks of backstage. And as much as they're prettying up the back of France for the sake of the gondolas, you can't hide every dumpster, A/C condenser, or forced perspective trick when looking in from the outside... and even the inside. When you're across the World Showcase lagoon, the forced perspective doesn't work at that distance and you can clearly discern that the Eiffel Tower is sitting on a rooftop. The 'effect' only works when you're in the France Pavilion courtyard.

LukeS7

As MisterPenguin said, transportation has always given views like that, so it's pretty much par for the course. Something to keep in mind though: guest views are going to probably be 10+ feet lower than the towers due to the arms attaching each gondola to the cable, so that should help a bit.

Mat Cauthon

As MisterPenguin said, transportation has always given views like that, so it's pretty much par for the course. Something to keep in mind though: guest views are going to probably be 10+ feet lower than the towers due to the arms attaching each gondola to the cable, so that should help a bit.
This is true about the cars being lower. I had actually never even thought about or looked for things like this until all these different threads started pointing things out. I'm one of those guests who has never noticed bad sight lines, good show vs bad show, etc (unless something is obviously broken). We only go every couple of years so I guess I'm just happy to be back in WDW each time! Now I might have to actually concentrate on remaining blissfully unaware of these details. LOL!!!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is true about the cars being lower. I had actually never even thought about or looked for things like this until all these different threads started pointing things out. I'm one of those guests who has never noticed bad sight lines, good show vs bad show, etc (unless something is obviously broken). We only go every couple of years so I guess I'm just happy to be back in WDW each time! Now I might have to actually concentrate on remaining blissfully unaware of these details. LOL!!!

Once the veil that clouds mortal's minds have been torn asunder it is nigh impossible to retreat to the stage of blissful ignorance...

Nay! One is forever tormented by the weight of perceiving the metaphysical realities for what they be!!

Behold the facade of the reality created for you by a cruel and greedy tyrant of fantasy and realize at the core of your being that no matter what hues and painted images have been adhered to it, the olden wilderness of the frontier of the Western continent had no garbage cans!!!!!

Mat Cauthon

Once the veil that clouds mortal's minds have been torn asunder it is nigh impossible to retreat to the stage of blissful ignorance...

Nay! One is forever tormented by the weight of perceiving the metaphysical realities for what they be!!

Behold the facade of the reality created for you by a cruel and greedy tyrant of fantasy and realize at the core of your being that no matter what hues and painted images have been adhered to it, the olden wilderness of the frontier of the Western continent had no garbage cans!!!!!
I reject your reality and (blissfully) substitute my own!!!

Absimilliard

Spent an evening by accident at DLP last weekend and there is something I hope WDI did their homeworks for at Epcot.... Have proper floors at Ratatouille!

Ratatouille at the Walt Disney Studios is currently a very strange experience due to the flooring of the attraction. Basically, they messed up the load calculations and the heavy rats combined with the guest weight grooved the floor in many sections of the ride. So, it feels like the rats are rolling on a grooved highway, ruining the illusion. On the other hand, the screens were all working well and the problematic oven fire effect was working.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Spent an evening by accident at DLP last weekend and there is something I hope WDI did their homeworks for at Epcot.... Have proper floors at Ratatouille!

Ratatouille at the Walt Disney Studios is currently a very strange experience due to the flooring of the attraction. Basically, they messed up the load calculations and the heavy rats combined with the guest weight grooved the floor in many sections of the ride. So, it feels like the rats are rolling on a grooved highway, ruining the illusion. On the other hand, the screens were all working well and the problematic oven fire effect was working.
Rat at DLP is due a new floor.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Which was due to be done about now, but its been pushed back. I am looking at the refurbishment calendar and Ratatouille and it is not on the schedule for the next 6 months. We'll see when it will be done.

Selfishly, I'm glad they postponed the new floor. It was scheduled to be down during my upcoming visit, but now my sneak-peek at what's coming to Epcot is back on. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom