News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

smile

Except the Muppets aren't really shoehorned in...they are just doing the same thing they always have done. They lampoon basic historical and pop culture events and stories in a weird and funny way. Its not like there is some "cannon" of Muppet lore that has them set in a specific time and place. For reference, the Muppets have run a 70s/80s variety show, a late night talk show, been news reporters, washed up former stars, pirates, Dickens characters, movie producers, news reporters, etc...the only "lore" for Muppets is that they are almost decidedly "American" (except some stereotyped foreign characters- Lou Zealand, the Prawn, Swedish Chef), Piggy and Frog have a weird cross species sexual relationship and that's about it. The other issue with Great Moments is that outside their specified show times, they leave almost no trace of their existence in that area of the park.

afaik, that wasn't the context...

we were speaking to the use of ip as a means, not an end, as for edutainment, etc. -
that show was given as an example of an instance where the line is successfully blurred.

much as i adore it, i'm not so sure - foot's firmly planted in the 'tainment

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
The only modern looking building I can think of is the loading room of Maelstrom.

The queue for FEA is 100% better than what was there before. It fits the pavilion like a glove.
Credit where it is due
frozen-ride-entrance.jpg

I did forget that the added the stone, medieval looking building as the entrance itself. But either side of it are modern buildings that in no way rsemble the same architecture that inspired Frozen.

Again, the Summerhaus is a great example of blending fantasy with reality and turned out perfectly as it matches real Norse architecture, blends well with the Stave church to transition to the rest of the pavilion, and also demonstrates how the animated world of Frozen clearly fits as a part of the real world of Norway.

The Frozen Ever After entry looks like someone dropped the entrance to castle inbetween two houses in a fishing village. You walk through the gate and you're in a different time period in a village that isn't visually consistent with the village of the pavilion with little to no transition.

If they made the queue look more like the rest of the pavilion or made the pavilion look more like the queue, it would've been fine. But they did neither. I exaggerate how jarring it is because it's a pet peeves of mine. But that is what makes it feel shoehorned in. I have no problem with Frozen in Epcot. I like the ride more than Maelstrom (which always seemed like perhaps the weakest ride in Epcot to me though it did have it's charm). I just feel like they didn't do a proper job blending the ride into the current pavilion to make it feel like a part of it instead of just patched onto it.

For reference, this is what the old Maelstrom entrance looked like.
img_1268.jpg

lazyboy97o

frozen-ride-entrance.jpg

I did forget that the added the stone, medieval looking building as the entrance itself. But either side of it are modern buildings that in no way rsemble the same architecture that inspired Frozen.

Again, the Summerhaus is a great example of blending fantasy with reality and turned out perfectly as it matches real Norse architecture, blends well with the Stave church to transition to the rest of the pavilion, and also demonstrates how the animated world of Frozen clearly fits as a part of the real world of Norway.

The Frozen Ever After entry looks like someone dropped the entrance to castle inbetween two houses in a fishing village. You walk through the gate and you're in a different time period in a village that isn't visually consistent with the village of the pavilion with little to no transition.

If they made the queue look more like the rest of the pavilion or made the pavilion look more like the queue, it would've been fine. But they did neither. I exaggerate how jarring it is because it's a pet peeves of mine. But that is what makes it feel shoehorned in. I have no problem with Frozen in Epcot. I like the ride more than Maelstrom (which always seemed like perhaps the weakest ride in Epcot to me though it did have it's charm). I just feel like they didn't do a proper job blending the ride into the current pavilion to make it feel like a part of it instead of just patched onto it.

img_1268.jpg
The building to the viewer’s right is unchanged.

The sudden transition you describe is appropriate for a portal, which signifies change.

The problem with the new entrance is that it is rather flat which makes no sense. The main entrance has no connection to anything next to it so it has no relationship to an illusion of built space.

smile

... just ask the norwegians!

now
here's
the
obligitory
raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

Pixieish

frozen-ride-entrance.jpg

img_1268.jpg
I despise how tall and out of scale the FEA entrance is compared to what Maelstrom was...it's like it dropped out of the sky and squashed the ends of the smaller buildings.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Towns like that have varying frontispieces from different eras throughout Europe. A medieval castle remains standing and so a 17th century building gets built next to it.

The castle-like facade is for a visit to a royal and more castle-y attraction, though, you do pass through an authentic Norwegian village, so, the facade could have remained the same. Maybe someone felt they had to do a new facade so as not to confuse people that it's still Maelstrom? 🤷‍♂️

OTOH, you could always ask why Maelstrom's log flume trip though history was beginning at an ordinary town building facade...

nickys

Premium Member
Towns like that have varying frontispieces from different eras throughout Europe. A medieval castle remains standing and so a 17th century building gets built next to it.

The castle-like facade is for a visit to a royal and more castle-y attraction, though, you do pass through an authentic Norwegian village, so, the facade could have remained the same. Maybe someone felt they had to do a new facade so as not to confuse people that it's still Maelstrom? 🤷‍♂️

OTOH, you could always ask why Maelstrom's log flume trip though history was beginning at an ordinary town building facade...

And since the architecture is from four different Norwegian towns, it doesn’t really make any difference.

Although I’m not quite sure why they needed to change the facade of the building. Akershus is a Castle, or fortress.

Pixieish

I just wish they hadn't made it so awkwardly tall. And I feel like they robbed the building to the left of the central facade of any character it had by changing the style of the building (especially the windows) and painting it that awful two-tone color scheme.

DinoInstitute

Currently proposed for 2020;

Rat
UK ride
New night show
China CV re edit
IDF re edit
Merchandise changes

As always that’s as accurate as it is now.
Are there any plans (that you know of or could share) to give major refurbishments to many of the Future World rides? Because they seriously need it, and soon to give the park any life. Spaceship Earth, Imagination, and Nemo in particular all just feel so stale and the latter two entirely unimpressive.

Last edited:

ZodIsGr8

I love SSE how it is now with the exception of the downward spiral. That ride is Epcot in my opinion. They need to bring back the Dreamfinder version of Figment and not replace it with Inside Out. Of course if they listen to that then Disney couldn't empty our wallets by pushing their sentimental goodbye Figment shirts (which I would buy) when they decide to replace it with the popular IP at the moment.

EricsBiscuit

Are there any plans (that you know of or could share) to give major refurbishments to many of the Future World rides? Because they seriously need it, and soon to give the park any life. Spaceship Earth, Imagination, and and Nemo in particular all just feel so stale and the latter two entirely unimpressive.
careful what u wish for

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom