News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

ajt5027

Here is the view from Google Earth with 3D building mock-ups.

View attachment 224451

And a top down view/ The light blue is backstage area. The red, gold, and brown are guest accessible.

View attachment 224452

Question: will the gondola be visible from street level in the World Showcase? I am assuming the elevation is low enough that the trees and buildings will obscure the cables and cars, but I am not an architect.

jt04

Question: will the gondola be visible from street level in the World Showcase? I am assuming the elevation is low enough that the trees and buildings will obscure the cables and cars, but I am not an architect.

I am sure there will be a few gaps where it will be visible from the northern part of WS. People will take zoomed in photos to exaggerate this perspective and complain.

However, Disney could go with gondolas with subdued color or colors and that would help.

KimAnnFran

I love EPCOT it's my favorite of the parks, believe it or not, or it WAS. Not happy about the Frozen thing, or this Ratatouille plan. I like Ratatouille as a movie, but EPCOT was always more than that, to me. Ugh.

rd805

I love EPCOT it's my favorite of the parks, believe it or not, or it WAS. Not happy about the Frozen thing, or this Ratatouille plan. I like Ratatouille as a movie, but EPCOT was always more than that, to me. Ugh.

Frozen was built, and is extremely popular. Ratatouille will be amazing, and also extremely popular.
I'm getting so annoyed with the EPCOT isn't what is used to be talk, and I often denounce Disney.

KimAnnFran

Frozen was built, and is extremely popular. Ratatouille will be amazing, and also extremely popular.
I'm getting so annoyed with the EPCOT isn't what is used to be talk, and I often denounce Disney.

I think you're saying that I am annoying you, and I'm sorry! Just saying what I think.

Phicinfan

I think you're saying that I am annoying you, and I'm sorry! Just saying what I think.
Hang in there, you are entitled to your opinion. This site is mixed with those who greatly loved and respected the original Epcot theme and idea, and those who are excited and clamoring for the new that is coming. I can see both sides. Unfortunately, changes had to be made, as as attendance was being driven more by wine and cheese events than what the park offered. I am hoping beyond hope, that once the new vision is in place it will have some thematic order we just can't figure out yet.

I am excited we are adding new pavillions, Brazil to be first I believe, and am excited that what is being added to pavilions to increase draw is at least thematically right for those areas(Rat in France for ex.). Frozenstorm being the outlier ...I hope.

Some change is coming to future world, what that final change is we aren't sure. But there are those who really loved Epcot in its original form, and some of them are not all that forgiving....some are.

Marlins1

I loved the original Epcot but I think it became unsustainable when countries and companies stopped sponsorships. The original concept was going to require frequent updates and that required sponsors. Glad to see it getting attention - still a beautiful place to explore but desperately in need of new attractions even if they don't fit the original concept.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm getting so annoyed with the EPCOT isn't what is used to be talk..
You can't argue it though can you?

Frozen was built, and is extremely popular. Ratatouille will be amazing, and also extremely popular
Which was the quick fix idea in a desperate attempt to increase Epcot attendance. Instead of developing unique, compelling, innovative, thought provoking and suitable themed attractions that fit the park we get today's hot, synergy driven, cross promotion IP that would be just as popular if they were in the MK, DHS or even DAK. Regular guests don't care where they are. It's management who should.

We could have had an Epcot as amazing as the original but developed for today's audience and expectations. Instead it's turning into the MK 2.0

Like GMR, these two attractions in question will be great fun. They're just in the wrong place and being used for the wrong reason.

Last edited:

Just4Pics

I totally agree with what people say about Frozen. I loved Maelstrom. It was just so dark and creepy but in a good way. Trolls and an oil rig, who could ask for more! It was very unique in it's feel. Very unDisney, if you will.

But I think people go too far in criticizing Ratatouille. It is in my opinion a totally different situation. First it's an addition not a replacement, which alone makes a huge difference. Also it's actually set in Paris. I could actually imagine the imagineers back in the late 70's/early 80's actually coming up with a ride based around a rat in a Parisian restaurant for the France pavilion. It's an IP but it doesn't dominate the pavilion and isn't in your face with it's IP-ness. It's like a compromise between the new business reality and the original vision. If we have to go to IPCOT, this is a better way to do it than Frozen.

However, since they're putting in GotG in UoE, I have to assume the compromise was just an accident. Sad.

John park hopper

Not having any small children in the house any more I was not familiar with the movie Ratatouille and had the chance to watch it on cable yesterday. It seems like a good fit in the French pavillion, Epcot needs some attractions for the young and the young at heart. I will be looking forward to this one, got a kick out of the movie; the 6 year old granddaughter will like it I'm sure

Kman101

I have zero problems with Rat coming to Epcot. It's not replacing anything, is set in the area it's going in. This isn't some "hot IP" either. If Ratatouille weren't a movie no one would be blinking an eye. (However, Frozen and Guardians remain wrong fits for the park; but to be fair we've had this invasion since Donald and friends took over Mexico and Nemo and Friends took over the seas).

I don't think a few attractions make it "MK 2.0". Now I'll have to see what they put in the UK and if it's Brave, well then we have an argument for MK 2.0 but I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

rd805

I don't think a few attractions make it "MK 2.0". Now I'll have to see what they put in the UK and if it's Brave, well then we have an argument for MK 2.0 but I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly -- can't we just have good attractions, and not be up in arms about it? Now my opinion totally needs to be backed by a revamped and well executed Future World. But all concept art hopefully points to that.

Kman101

I totally understand those who lived Epcot's glory days and are vastly disappointed. I'd love them to embrace what made it great with AA heavy dark rides that make you think and wow you. And Epcot hasn't implemented IPs that well so I also get the hesitation. Ratatouille is probably the least of the problems that should be focused on.

Princess Leia

I totally understand those who lived Epcot's glory days and are vastly disappointed. I'd love them to embrace what made it great with AA heavy dark rides that make you think and wow you. And Epcot hasn't implemented IPs that well so I also get the hesitation. Ratatouille is probably the least of the problems that should be focused on.
Ratatouille is really the best case scenario for IP implementation. It celebrates French cuisine, and it was incredibly well received in France itself (http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/french-find-ratatouille-ever-so-palatable/ ) I just wish some Imagineers would add a few AAs to the ride to bring back that old Epcot feeling. That being said, I am very much looking forward to this ride. :)

hpyhnt 1000

I have zero problems with Rat coming to Epcot. It's not replacing anything, is set in the area it's going in. This isn't some "hot IP" either. If Ratatouille weren't a movie no one would be blinking an eye. (However, Frozen and Guardians remain wrong fits for the park; but to be fair we've had this invasion since Donald and friends took over Mexico and Nemo and Friends took over the seas).

I don't think a few attractions make it "MK 2.0". Now I'll have to see what they put in the UK and if it's Brave, well then we have an argument for MK 2.0 but I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

This is key for me as well. Something that will forever annoy me about Frozen at Epcot is the way it literally took over the pavilion. Not only did we lose the pavilion's ride, but we "lost" the neighboring expansion plot for an Anna and Elsa meet and greet and the Stave Church exhibit was changed to focus on Frozen. Combine all of this with the questionable princess buffet at Akershus and you're left wondering what part of this area is "Norway" anymore? Norway was/is literally a textbook "worst case" example of how to shove an IP into World Showcase.

Though Rat is a better thematic fit than Frozen, it will never fully mesh with World Showcase. But at least it's getting all new construction to accommodate it, allowing the core French pavilion to remain in all its glory (just don't screw up Impressions de France!).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

My thoughts exactly -- can't we just have good attractions, and not be up in arms about it? Now my opinion totally needs to be backed by a revamped and well executed Future World. But all concept art hopefully points to that.

Come back in six years. That's all I'll say.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom