News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
France is getting some super major love. It not only will take up one and a half pads with a ride and movie and multiple food and merch shops and M&Gs, but the International Gateway now, and soon, the gondola station, will be French-themed. This expands France's reach across the water even. France will be second in size only to the American Pavilion.

I wonder if this is a synergistic show of love for the parks in real-Paris?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Based on the concept art I have some questions:
  • Will we access this area from the far right side the current pavilion in the small courtyard to the right of the perfume shop near International Gateway?
  • The Eiffel Tower looks like it may be moved every so slightly, what will that be like?
  • Will the new quick service bakery and deli be completely changed to open out toward the new attraction or even serve as a walkthrough area from the old pavilion to the new part?
  • If most of the show building is in the back part of the expansion pad between France & Morocco (with it also possibly backup up into the Morocco pavilion), does that still leave room in between France & Morocco on the promenade for future expansion (something the size of the African Outpost)?

1. Permits show work wrapping around the pavilion and coming out on the far right side (when facing the building) so that will be where you enter this new area.

2. I missed that, it does look like it's been moved to the taller building. This would make sense if they were trying to preserve the forced perspective.

3. This is a good question.

4. Yes, it looks like there will be room there for a small pavilion.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There's literally no research or development or creative "imagineering" necessary. It's just a matter of cloning and assembling the pieces.

Houses are constructed by small companies in a matter of weeks, there's no reason this small ride consisting mostly of SCREENS has to take years to assemble by one of the biggest corporations in the world.

It's lazy and a slap in the face. We've already been waiting decades for something new to this section of the park so the least they could do is get things up in a hurry if it's just a carbon copy of an already existing ride. It'd ease the pain of not announcing the Brazilian pavilion as well.

I will admit Disney could build faster if they really wanted to but the speed you are talking about is not practical. The contractor building that house has probably built 100's if not 1000's of that same type of house so can work very fast. Each theme park ride is different so even if the contractor has built theme parks rides before there is still something new each time. You also mention "Imagineering", which is more then just design, there is a lot of artistic tasks that at done by Imagineering during construction. All the details on the facades you see in the art have to be hand sculpted and painted. Even though the final ride experience is the same, rides are almost never 100% carbon copies. There is also the question of labor availability. There is a lot of construction going on at WDW and in Orlando at general which I believe is starting to stretch the available workers.

I think the best recent example of fast attraction construction was Transformers at Universal. This was the third time this ride was built, it was mostly screen based and the exterior of the building had pretty simple theming, but this still took about a year to complete. To achieve this they did things that would have been considered bad show at Disney, like driving trucks across guest pathways during operating hours.

DisneyPrincess5

Nice to see new stuff happening. There's a part of me which is still frustrated that Frozen and now Ratatouille are in WS but ok I'll oblige I guess since I have no other choice. It'll be fun to experience. DH and I have watched this ride in Paris a few times on YouTube and it does look awesome.

Princess Leia

Ratatouille and Tron (had to type that twice- autocorrect keeps making the whole thing in caps lock after all of my excitement for it) are the two attractions announced yesterday that I'm looking forward to the most. Both are actual additions to the park, not replacements (if both IDF and Speedway stay), and they both thematically fit their areas of the park. While I wish that I could ride one on my trip in November, there's always hope that at least one will be open for the next trip.

steve76

That's what the ride in WDSP was originally going to be called in, but then they changed it to Ratatouille: Remy's Totally Zany Adventure. I don't exactly know why, but my guess is they realized Kitchen Calamity didn't translate well to French.

I'm glad to see Kitchen Calamity being used for Epcot's version. It's a far better name, in my opinion.

The name of the WDSP version is a play on words - "Toquée" means "crazy" but it also (I believe) the name of the tall white chef's hat.

davis_unoxx

That queue for one in Paris looks amazing, I'm sure we will get it as well. Is the Ratatouille section next to France, going to be as big as the one in Paris?

tl77

Here's another mock-up of placement. The low grey is the new wrap-around plaza. The blue buildings are the kiosks seen in the artist's rendering.

View attachment 215782

Stupid trees...

View attachment 215783

I think you got it pretty close, and they seem to be fitting the kioks around the existing "stupid trees", but the perspective of that concept art is a little funky. Going by the blueprint the new Rat show-building will connect with an alley way that's already in place between the "Impressions de France" building and a storage/office/lounge type of building on the back corner of the existing pavilion, which I drew over in red here. The only loss seems to be the Bistro/Pastries shop "Les Halles Boulangeries-Pastisserie". I also put a white circle where the new fountain is in the concept art. It all looks pretty nice, I just wish it were the "Beauty and the Beast" show-building instead, but "C'est la vie"
France-Rats1.jpg

lazyboy97o

I think you got it pretty close, and they seem to be fitting the kioks around the existing "stupid trees", but the perspective of that concept art is a little funky. Going by the blueprint the new Rat show-building will connect with an alley way that's already in place between the "Impressions de France" building and a storage/office/lounge type of building on the back corner of the existing pavilion, which I drew over in red here. The only loss seems to be the Bistro/Pastries shop "Les Halles Boulangeries-Pastisserie". I also put a white circle where the new fountain is in the concept art. It all looks pretty nice, I just wish it were the "Beauty and the Beast" show-building instead, but "C'est la vie"
View attachment 215801
There is no demolition or connection through the existing pavilion.

EpcotEric01

View attachment 215801
you access the new courtyard from a new path along the canal, you do not access through the existing pavilion. nothing current will be removed.

nickys

Premium Member
View attachment 215801

Whaaaaat? No Les Halles? They have to keep that, or move it surely? :eek:

erasure fan1

Finally a decision that doesn't totally suck.
That's funny, that was almost my exact reaction when I read the announcement. While I still think Disney can make a quality attraction to showcase a country that's not IP based, this doesn't leave that total slap in the face feeling that frozen or guardians did for me. It still fits the theme like @MuteSuperstar said, especially if they keep the film, better yet update the film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom