News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

doctornick

Right, there was a movie ride concept proposed for FW at some point in the 80's, which ultimately became GMR. IIRC. Didn't want to imply it was planned for FW or anything. :)

Can you imagine if a movie themed pavilion were announced for Future World today? I can already picture the gnashing of teeth and complaining about it...

But since it was being considered in the 80's in the Epcot heyday, I can only assume that it obviously is a perfect fit and would have been embraced by all had it opened then. Probably would have been hyped as the next evolution of Epcot's celebration of human achievement or somesuch.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
But since it was being considered in the 80's in the Epcot heyday, I can only assume that it obviously is a perfect fit and would have been embraced by all had it opened then. Probably would have been hyped as the next evolution of Epcot's celebration of human achievement or somesuch.

No. Not at all.

RSoxNo1

MGM was never about rides, it was about experiences. You had the behind the movies walking tour. IIRC, it took four hours to complete if you did it all. There were movie characters and cars in the entrance area. Of course, the GMR welcomed guests into the movie experience too. You could watch actual animators at work in the Animation Courtyard (IIRC, they were drawing BatB at the time). Theater of the Stars had a show going too. It was my favorite park and my family's second-favorite only behind MK.
At some point that switched and MK and DHS became about rides with EPCOT and DAK being about experiences.

Epcot82Guy

Can you imagine if a movie themed pavilion were announced for Future World today? I can already picture the gnashing of teeth and complaining about it...

Actually, the concepts were either focused on how films were created or the creative process around the artistry of film. So, it would be much more about film creation or film history. It would have been made to fit Future World's story, and there actually were concerns on whether it would fit - INSIDE the company, not in the fandom. So, I don't know that your assumption would reflect reality either then or now.

raymusiccity

Actually, the concepts were either focused on how films were created or the creative process around the artistry of film. So, it would be much more about film creation or film history. It would have been made to fit Future World's story, and there actually were concerns on whether it would fit - INSIDE the company, not in the fandom. So, I don't know that your assumption would reflect reality either then or now.
Back in the day, there were artist concepts of The Great Movie Ride, located in EPCOT.....oh, get me some smelling salts !☺

Epcot82Guy

Back in the day, there were artist concepts of The Great Movie Ride, located in EPCOT.....oh, get me some smelling salts !☺

That's actually my point. There were a couple of initial renderings of a movie focused pavilion for Future World. They were exploring new pavilion ideas. It was not nearly fleshed out as legend makes it seem. Namely because all of the concepts moved over to the new high priority studios park. So, it's not really accurate to think GMR (as we know it) was going to be in Future World.

No Name

The difference is the original movie pavilion idea was about movies (like DHS was), today it would just be based off of a movie/movies but have nothing to do with the actual medium. It would be purely an excuse to stick more movie IP in the park.

EricsBiscuit

They have no problem sitting parties of two with random people (happens to us all the time) but they don’t open the single rider line? Weird… staffing issue? Training issue?

DCBaker

Premium Member

FKXogN_WQAkUkqG.jpg

Casper Gutman

Interesting, its been nearly impossible, the crowds this week were just insane at the park, and it doesnt help that rat always seems to be down. Does paris have this same problem?? We tried twice this week and gave up, its down more than running.
They seem to be having a lot of problems with the trackless rides, which is especially annoying because they often don't add much to a ride. While MM and MMRR make good use of their trackless system, there is no reason for Rat to be trackless. As for RotR - its open to debate, but the problems with the system seem to me to heavily outweigh the advantages.

Disney is infatuated with the trackless system at the moment, and I really don't see why. They require warehouse-size spaces in every show scene and dictate absolutely smooth floors - which may make sense in a star destroyer but are a lot less logical in an outdoor park or a kitchen. Trackless rides also dramatically limit the imagineers ability to control the viewer's line of site. In most cases, the old omnimover (or some version of Uni's Scoop) would make for better rides. But the relevant point is that omnimovers and the Scoop seem to function much, much more consistently.

lazyboy97o

Apart from the fact it’s a clone of a DLP ride. Which I believe was Disneys first trackless ride.
Implying that Ratatouille was the first trackless ride is one of the many dubious presentations made in The Imagineering Story. The technology was developed for Aquatopia at Tokyo DisneySEA and first opened with Pooh’s Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland more than a decade before Ratatouille opened.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Implying that Ratatouille was the first trackless ride is one of the many dubious presentations made in The Imagineering Story. The technology was developed for Aquatopia at Tokyo DisneySEA and first opened with Pooh’s Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland more than a decade before Ratatouille opened.
Indeed, trackless is far from new.

TikibirdLand

Indeed, trackless is far from new.
Well, new to WDW... What is it with maintenance at WDW that causes issues with attractions that are stable in other parks but have fits in WDW? Rat, RoTR, Splash, BTMRR. WDWRR....I could go on and on. One site used to track this stuff. His list got so large to the point he just threw up his hands and gave up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom