News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

GlacierGlacier

WS France takes place in an idealised, sentimentalised representation of France. Not a time or specific place. *Rat takes place in a cartoon environment also set in France. To add it to WS France is as fitting as Belle suddenly being revealed to be Anton Ego's girlfriend.
According to this article from 2007, the French were awfully fond of the film. Chefs praised the accuracy of not only the depiction of kitchen life, but the Parisian atmosphere and feeling.

HoldenC

Hopefully the ride opening has been pushed forward because people in charge are finally realizing Epcot desperately needs more than food and booze to keep the crowds flowing in AND interested in staying. The park was a ghost town both days we went this week, especially during EMH.

The Empress Lilly

According to this article from 2007, the French were awfully fond of the film. Chefs praised the accuracy of not only the depiction of kitchen life, but the Parisian atmosphere and feeling.
Most certainly!

And Sleeping Beauty was a beautiful love letter to the ancient tale of Charles Perrault. And the Aristocats portray a lovely Paris. Yet it never, ever crossed the minds of the designers of WS to incorporate either. Because that would tell a completely different story than WS.

Cartoon IPs in WS are a very recent intrusion imposed from the top down by upper management. Not an organical growth or natural fit.

lazyboy97o

I might actually prefer Ratland to be spatially disconnected from the rest of the pavilion. The France area and Rat area are distinct universes, with different settings, theme and atmosphere.

Star Trek and Star Wars nominally take place in the same space - spaceships hurling through space. Yet they completely crash, as do WS France and Ratland.

WS France takes place in an idealised, sentimentalised representation of France. Not a time or specific place. *Rat takes place in a cartoon environment also set in France. To add it to WS France is as fitting as Belle suddenly being revealed to be Anton Ego's girlfriend.

* Edit: Although recently the decision was made to set WS in 'now', i.e. real time, real world. Followed later by the rather incompatible decision to set WS into 'fantasy', i.e. not real world, nor hence here and now.
I would say, if forced, the spaces should be distinct instead of disconnected. Turn a corner and find this alley that is cartoonishly askew or let that all occur beyond the portal of the attraction entrance. That’s a better spatial experience than, walk out the Pavilion, go around the corner, walk along the back of the building, turn the corner, walk between the back of that same building a small oddly detailed “Norman” building, walk through a marquee and then suddenly get to these buildings that are vertically askew but laid out on a rather formal plan. In the world of the movie the buildings are more whimsical and skewed but the plan of Paris becomes more of a grid? That doesn’t make sense.

HoldenC

Imagine caring this much about a ride in a theme park. Lol. Some people on this forum act like Disney is purposefully poisoning their children with cyanide; it isn't that serious. Additionally, certain users with their pompous vocabulary and opinions come across as bitter because they were rejected from Imagineering. Hmmm 💀🤔

britain

I would say, if forced, the spaces should be distinct instead of disconnected. Turn a corner and find this alley that is cartoonishly askew or let that all occur beyond the portal of the attraction entrance. That’s a better spatial experience than, walk out the Pavilion, go around the corner, walk along the back of the building, turn the corner, walk between the back of that same building a small oddly detailed “Norman” building, walk through a marquee and then suddenly get to these buildings that are vertically askew but laid out on a rather formal plan. In the world of the movie the buildings are more whimsical and skewed but the plan of Paris becomes more of a grid? That doesn’t make sense.

I'll grant you that the way they are shoehorning Rat into the pavilion is odd. But it feels like a better fit than, say, Beauty and the Beast.

britain

Imagine caring this much about a ride in a theme park.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Will do. I’m at Charles de Gaulle airport at the mo so have a photo in the meantime.

View attachment 381331

My goodness, that's a great picture of that area (looks like right at park open during EMH?). I was too busy looking around (and only had my phone to take pictures with) to take proper photos. Although I did get a decent picture of the fountain with Remy on the top. :)

Edit: And whoever designed the roadways within Charles de Gaulle Airport needs to drive on them for an entire day and then rethink his/her road design philosophy. :D

Last edited:

Bender123

Most certainly!

And Sleeping Beauty was a beautiful love letter to the ancient tale of Charles Perrault. And the Aristocats portray a lovely Paris. Yet it never, ever crossed the minds of the designers of WS to incorporate either. Because that would tell a completely different story than WS.

Cartoon IPs in WS are a very recent intrusion imposed from the top down by upper management. Not an organical growth or natural fit.

There is a major difference between your examples and Rat...that being that the setting of yours is a location, but for Rat, the culture of French food and Paris IS the story.

Its much like Coco in that you cant just drop the story in any setting and have it make sense. It has to be in its time and place or it becomes a different story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom