Trip Report *COMPLETE* Remind Me Again Why We Agreed To Do This...Our runDisney 2020 Trip Report

Hello All!

I hope 2020 is starting off well for everyone so far. Kelly and I, along with some friends of ours, just returned from our most recent visit to WDW and I am very excited to share in our different, but amazing, Disney experience.

For those of you who may have been following along with the pre-trip report (feel free to read up on all the planning if you'd like), you will know that this trip was nearly a year in the making and something we had never done before for a couple of different reasons. First, we had never even considered a WDW trip centred around a runDisney event and second, we have never done a WDW trip without the kids since they were born.

So, without further delay, let's get to it!

THE WARM-UP

As I mentioned, the possibility of this type of trip was discussed quite some time ago. I have been running almost obsessively for just over two years now and 2019 was the year in which I finally felt ready to start registering for some races, not just casual runs on my own. With a couple of recent visits to the World in 2017, and a few more in 2018, I really started to take notice of all the dedicated running trails in and around the resorts and learned more and more about the runDisney events and community.

I didn't realize just how big the community really is until I took a deeper dive into a number of blogs, podcasts, websites, and Instagram accounts. I was really intrigued and figured a potential runDisney event would be the perfect way to tie my passion for Disney together with my new found passion for running. Originally, I was thinking maybe 2021 as the point I would commit to my first half marathon but with my progress and after some discussion with Kelly, we decided we might as well see if we could make 2020 work.

With that, in late 2018, we both agreed that we would do everything we could to add the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend in 2020 to our travel schedule. I was beyond pumped and while we couldn't really do much of the planning just yet, I was really starting to kick my training into high gear.

We happened to be having dinner with friends of ours, Mike and Kerri, in January 2019 who are also big Disney fans and have kids a few years younger than Ella and Lennon. I've known my best friend Mike since grade 10 when we first started playing hockey together. We served as the best man at each of our weddings and have been very close for nearly 20 years. When the topic of this trip was brought up, we jokingly said that they should join us and to our shocking surprise, they said they would. While Mike has really committed himself to his health over the last five years, never in a million years would I think he'd agree to run a half marathon.

We left dinner thinking how cool it would be if they did in fact travel with us but in the back of our minds, I don't think we actually thought they would come. Days later they committed to coming so long as the timing worked and it was a suggestion from Kerri that the girls run the 5K which Kelly reluctantly agreed to! Once they made that decision, planning was in full swing!

THE ROSTER

Our roster of runners was now set and with all the planning, ADRs and FP+ bookings in the almost 12 months leading up to the trip, this is how things played out...

WHO: Kelly, Matt, Mike and Kerri
WHERE: Boulder Ridge Villas (deluxe studio) - Matt and Kelly
All-Star Music - Mike and Kerri
WHEN: January 7 - 12, 2020
WHY: Because we are idiots to consider running as a vacation

slipperalwaysfits

If the finished product(s) are anything like they show that was put on in the EPCOT Experience, I think guests are going to be very happy, even if some of the changes are somewhat radical.

We will have to check this pavilion out when we go in the fall! That's awesome how detailed the coming attractions are...makes it worth all the walls now!

it was a lot easier to convince them to ride most things and ask for forgiveness later if it was too intense!

YES! You can only get away with this once, but it's so worth it! We did that to my mom and her friend after we convinced them to ride the RnRC on the first day of our trip!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
We will have to check this pavilion out when we go in the fall! That's awesome how detailed the coming attractions are...makes it worth all the walls now!

YES! You can only get away with this once, but it's so worth it! We did that to my mom and her friend after we convinced them to ride the RnRC on the first day of our trip!

Exactly right. All the walls do take away from the experience a bit and if this was the one and only time you'd ever be at the park, I have no doubt it would be a huge letdown. However, if you visit frequently and can get a sense of just how much this is going to change your experience, it makes stomaching those walls quite a bit easier.

And yes, we took advantage of this a couple of times, but they started to get wise to us as the trip moved on!

Piglet_the_brave

Loving your restraint on indulging in adult beverages. I was the same, it’s like you have to keep reminding yourself this is not a normal Disney trip.

The loss of the fountain made me quite sad, one of our favourite thins to do was to sit and watch them dancing. Although I will not miss the strange photograph monuments.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Loving your restraint on indulging in adult beverages. I was the same, it’s like you have to keep reminding yourself this is not a normal Disney trip.

The loss of the fountain made me quite sad, one of our favourite thins to do was to sit and watch them dancing. Although I will not miss the strange photograph monuments.

To my credit, I did have a few drinks leading up to race day, I kept it pretty limited, especially the day before. It really was hard to try and flip the mentality that we were visiting for a very different reason this time around.

Yes, I will not miss those photo monuments at all!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
As we walked toward MS, we passed by Test Track and listened to some of the cars scream by. Mike's dad had made a short visit to WDW earlier in the year and told him Test Track was his favourite ride which made it a must-do during the trip. We planned on returning to EPCOT the next day and already secured an FP first thing in the morning but we hoped to potentially hit TT before the night was over.

The rest of the walk was spent convincing both Kerri and Mike that they could survive MS with no issues, though I think I almost killed it by telling them not to worry, there are benches along the exit queue to sit at if they felt queasy after the ride. The look I got from both of them could have stopped a train.

They did hesitate but the CM at the entrance also assured them that the green mission was something they could handle. We scanned our bands and made our way into the queue where we were put into our ride lines immediately. As we waited for the pre-show video to flash on, we had a nice conversation with a family from Ottawa and had a good laugh at a couple in another line. The husband was wearing a Cowboys hat and the wife a Redskins hat. We asked how they get along throughout the season to which they responded things are great with the exception of two weeks a year! Mike is a big Giants fan so a lot of NFC East animosity in that waiting area.

Soon enough we were through the pre-boarding area and into our rocket. Both Kerri and Mike were a little concerned once the vehicle closed and the space became tight but thankfully they had no issues once the ride began. Kelly is not a big fan of Mission Space and reluctantly went on it because of our guests but Mike became an instant fan as soon as we walked out. He was already looking forward to riding again. Kerri seemed happy to be back in open space.

From there we decided to cross Future World and head towards Soarin'. The entire group loves Soarin' and since the wait was only posted at 15 minutes we felt it was well worth the walk to the Land.

We knew the park was pretty busy with some of the other wait times around and the number of people we weaved through in the World Showcase but you'd never know it from the looks of the cavernous Land pavilion. The wait time had been reduced to 10-minutes by the time we arrived at the queue and we ended up walking straight into one of the lines for the ride. Very rare that we've never had to stop at least once for Soarin' but we weren't complaining.

I was definitely looking forward to the ride but for my money, this is hands down the best pre-show, simply because of Patrick!

Nice work, indeed!

We loaded into the top, middle section so we didn't get much of the lean effect on many of the scenes but, as was the pattern for the evening, the attraction had some technical issues. The scents were not being pumped out during the different scenes which we all noticed right away. The ride was still great, but you don't realize how much better it is with those great smells until they're no longer there!

Knowing our ADR for Beaches and Cream was getting a little closer, we felt like it would be a good idea to head back to World Showcase and slowly make our way towards the International Gateway to head towards the Beach Club. The walk from the Land to WS seemed very dark for some reason. Not sure if all the walls and construction played a role but it was pretty ominous throughout the Land/Imagination area leading to the entrance to WS.

Thankfully once we did arrive, the countries came alive. There were still a lot of people in and around the area but we took our time heading through Canada and into the UK, looking around and checking things out until we stumbled across a very cool photo opportunity, right near the little house where Alice can typically be found.

There was a couple that looked like they were just about to leave the area so it was a perfect time for us to sneak in. Or so I thought. I was too daft to notice the couple hugging and laughing and the woman starting to cry. I was oblivious to the fact that he just proposed seconds before I made my way behind them and was quietly telling hem to move along! The rest of the group was more present than I was and quickly congratulated them. It was then when I realized what was actually happening and was quick to celebrate with them. I'm sure it was a great moment that I just happened to totally miss! We ended up taking a few pictures for them before they did decide to move on and continue their night at which point we could snap our own pics.

I've yet to witness a Disney proposal and here I was, essentially holding the ring for the guy, and still missed it! Oh well, it was a magical moment for them and pretty cool to be some of the first people to congratulate them.

At this point, it was now time to make our way out of the park and head over to our dinner. I was jacked up to see the new Beaches and Cream. Plus, that Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup was calling my name!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
On our way over to the Beach Club we had our first up-close look at the Skyliner as we left EPCOT through the International Gateway. First glance looked really cool. There was quite a line of people trying to board but it looked like the queue was moving fairly quickly. We were all pretty surprised with just how fast the cars appear to move down the line.

Obviously we weren't able to take it for a spin but we agreed to go for a ride over to one of the resorts the next day to head over to WWoS to pick up our race packages.

Mike and Kerri got their first look at the Boardwalk and how beautiful it is in the evening with everything lit up. It really did look so serene and peaceful. We made it to the Beach Club and found a side door to bypass the lobby. Soon after we were checked in and waiting for our names to be called to head into the redesigned Beaches.

We sat just outside the restaurant overlooking Stormalong Bay. With the pool clearly closed, it too looked very calm and peaceful. We told Mike and Kerri about the pirate ship slide and the sand bottom. It was one of the highlights of our time staying at Beach Club a few years back.

We sat there talking about the day so far and what we had planned for tomorrow. It was nice to have a chance to sit quietly and reflect on what had been a pretty long day so far. After about 10 or so minutes I received a text that our table was ready and we got up to meet our server who whisked us inside.

Immediately I was struck with how much larger the dining area now was. I loved the old set up and how charming the entire place was but even with the new colour schemes and the much larger seating area, it still seems to hold a lot of the same appeal. I was most pleased to see that the sirens and lights for the kitchen sink orders were still scattered throughout the restaurant.

Smart on Disney's part to now make the walk up/take out area a window that guests could approach from outside the restaurant.

Our first look at the new menu showed a few subtle updates but still provided great value for your entree prices. Even if the addition on the new gourmet milkshakes were pretty pricy, at least $15 each, you still didn't feel like you'd be paying an arm and a leg for a meal. I had my mind set on the grilled cheese before I arrived but was very tempted to try a few of the new items instead.

While browsing the menu, we ordered our drinks. Kerri and Kelly ordered Milkshakes and our server, Matt, made sure to prompt Kelly to let him know what she thought her shake tasted like. It was supposed to be cotton candy but he said he had a better description and wanted her take on it before revealing.

Mike and I ordered diet cherry coke. This may not be such a big deal but Mike hasn't had a pop in almost a year. He was saving up on breaking that streak here at Disney and what better way to end it but with a cherry coke?!

The shakes arrived and simply by looking at them we agreed they were worth the price tag. Plus you get to keep the cup so that's a decent little keepsake to take with you.

Kelly took a few sips before determining that hers didn't taste like cotton candy, but bubblegum instead. Matt's answer was quite a bit different. He compared it to the marshmallows in Lucky Charms cereal. No matter what, any of those flavours would make for a tasty shake. Apparently they were both very good and the cupcake on Kerri's and donut on Kelly's were top notch. Mike ate most of both and was happy to do so.

For food, Kelly and I both went with the Grilled Cheese and Soup, Mike ordered the cheddar, bacon, ranch chicken sandwich and Kerri went the turkey applewood smoked bacon sandwich.

The food came out quite quickly and looked very good. Right away we noticed that the recipe for the grilled cheese had changed and while it made for a distinctly different taste, it was still really creamy and very good.

Luckily while we ate a few different tables ordered the kitchen sink so Mike and Kerri could get an idea of exactly what it was made of. There was a family of four (mom, dad and two littles no older than Ella and Lennon) that ordered one right beside us and I give those little kids a ton of credit, they ate their hearts out and pretty much finished the entire thing. It was quite impressive!

We finished up our first official meal and still had just enough time to get back into EPCOT before the gates closed at 11. We decided it was time to call it a night and head back to the resorts for some well-earned shuteye.

the plan was to meet back at EPCOT at park open the next day to tackle all that we had yet to do. Walking back through EPCOT as the park was essentially empty was a lot of fun. Our pace was slow and we took our time looking around before we made it to the main gates. We said our goodnights at the bus area and found our way back home for the night.

I, for one, couldn't wait to get into bed and get some sleep. My plan was to get up early to do a test run around Wilderness. My biggest concern heading into race weekend was the difference in the humidity. Figured it would be wise to get the body up and moving at least once before showing up to the start line on Saturday. Kelly wasn't as thrilled with my plan but I think she understood the reasoning behind it.

The bus back was quick and quiet. We hustled up to the room to find our bags waiting for us. I quickly unpacked everything from my suitcase as I do on any trip I take regardless of the length of stay. Kelly, on the other hand, wheeled her suitcase into a corner where it would reside for the rest of the trip. We were both ready for the week!

slipperalwaysfits

I've yet to witness a Disney proposal and here I was, essentially holding the ring for the guy, and still missed it! Oh well, it was a magical moment for them and pretty cool to be some of the first people to congratulate them.

We got engaged in Disney (CRT) and we've seen lots of happy couples get engaged in front of the castle with photopass and that is so exciting!! :geek: :geek: :geek:

Immediately I was struck with how much larger the dining area now was. I loved the old set up and how charming the entire place was but even with the new colour schemes and the much larger seating area, it still seems to hold a lot of the same appeal. I was most pleased to see that the sirens and lights for the kitchen sink orders were still scattered throughout the restaurant.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm excited to go back to Beaches and Cream!!

Matt's answer was quite a bit different. He compared it to the marshmallows in Lucky Charms cereal.
Who needs the grains? Just give me the mallows from that cereal!

We hustled up to the room to find our bags waiting for us. I quickly unpacked everything from my suitcase as I do on any trip I take regardless of the length of stay. Kelly, on the other hand, wheeled her suitcase into a corner where it would reside for the rest of the trip. We were both ready for the week!

KELLY for the win!!! ;):angelic:🤩🤩 For some reason, I never unpack, either. I mean, I unpack the last day when I'm trying to "repack" everything I brought and bought. But unpacking just doesn't work for me....

krisri18

As we walked toward MS, we passed by Test Track and listened to some of the cars scream by. Mike's dad had made a short visit to WDW earlier in the year and told him Test Track was his favourite ride which made it a must-do during the trip. We planned on returning to EPCOT the next day and already secured an FP first thing in the morning but we hoped to potentially hit TT before the night was over.

The rest of the walk was spent convincing both Kerri and Mike that they could survive MS with no issues, though I think I almost killed it by telling them not to worry, there are benches along the exit queue to sit at if they felt queasy after the ride. The look I got from both of them could have stopped a train.

They did hesitate but the CM at the entrance also assured them that the green mission was something they could handle. We scanned our bands and made our way into the queue where we were put into our ride lines immediately. As we waited for the pre-show video to flash on, we had a nice conversation with a family from Ottawa and had a good laugh at a couple in another line. The husband was wearing a Cowboys hat and the wife a Redskins hat. We asked how they get along throughout the season to which they responded things are great with the exception of two weeks a year! Mike is a big Giants fan so a lot of NFC East animosity in that waiting area.

Soon enough we were through the pre-boarding area and into our rocket. Both Kerri and Mike were a little concerned once the vehicle closed and the space became tight but thankfully they had no issues once the ride began. Kelly is not a big fan of Mission Space and reluctantly went on it because of our guests but Mike became an instant fan as soon as we walked out. He was already looking forward to riding again. Kerri seemed happy to be back in open space.

From there we decided to cross Future World and head towards Soarin'. The entire group loves Soarin' and since the wait was only posted at 15 minutes we felt it was well worth the walk to the Land.

We knew the park was pretty busy with some of the other wait times around and the number of people we weaved through in the World Showcase but you'd never know it from the looks of the cavernous Land pavilion. The wait time had been reduced to 10-minutes by the time we arrived at the queue and we ended up walking straight into one of the lines for the ride. Very rare that we've never had to stop at least once for Soarin' but we weren't complaining.

I was definitely looking forward to the ride but for my money, this is hands down the best pre-show, simply because of Patrick!

Nice work, indeed!

We loaded into the top, middle section so we didn't get much of the lean effect on many of the scenes but, as was the pattern for the evening, the attraction had some technical issues. The scents were not being pumped out during the different scenes which we all noticed right away. The ride was still great, but you don't realize how much better it is with those great smells until they're no longer there!

Knowing our ADR for Beaches and Cream was getting a little closer, we felt like it would be a good idea to head back to World Showcase and slowly make our way towards the International Gateway to head towards the Beach Club. The walk from the Land to WS seemed very dark for some reason. Not sure if all the walls and construction played a role but it was pretty ominous throughout the Land/Imagination area leading to the entrance to WS.

Thankfully once we did arrive, the countries came alive. There were still a lot of people in and around the area but we took our time heading through Canada and into the UK, looking around and checking things out until we stumbled across a very cool photo opportunity, right near the little house where Alice can typically be found.

There was a couple that looked like they were just about to leave the area so it was a perfect time for us to sneak in. Or so I thought. I was too daft to notice the couple hugging and laughing and the woman starting to cry. I was oblivious to the fact that he just proposed seconds before I made my way behind them and was quietly telling hem to move along! The rest of the group was more present than I was and quickly congratulated them. It was then when I realized what was actually happening and was quick to celebrate with them. I'm sure it was a great moment that I just happened to totally miss! We ended up taking a few pictures for them before they did decide to move on and continue their night at which point we could snap our own pics.

At this point, it was now time to make our way out of the park and head over to our dinner. I was jacked up to see the new Beaches and Cream. Plus, that Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup was calling my name!
How sweet of you to join in for the special proposal moment, lol. I've seen several Disney proposals and even got my own! Hang out in front of the castle long enough and you're bound to catch one!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
We got engaged in Disney (CRT) and we've seen lots of happy couples get engaged in front of the castle with photopass and that is so exciting!! :geek: :geek: :geek:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm excited to go back to Beaches and Cream!!

Who needs the grains? Just give me the mallows from that cereal!

KELLY for the win!!! ;):angelic:🤩🤩 For some reason, I never unpack, either. I mean, I unpack the last day when I'm trying to "repack" everything I brought and bought. But unpacking just doesn't work for me....

How sweet of you to join in for the special proposal moment, lol. I've seen several Disney proposals and even got my own! Hang out in front of the castle long enough and you're bound to catch one!

I'm clearly not looking hard enough while at WDW! Though we were literally in the middle of this engagement and I failed to realize what was going on so I can only imagine how many I've missed from a distance!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
JANUARY 8 - DAY TWO: RUNNING, EPCOT & EXPO

Leading up to the trip Mike and I would talk almost on a daily basis about how excited we were to get to WDW and experience everything. We talked a lot about the parks and restaurants but most of the time we focused on our run. We both were a tad nervous about running in our first official race and at such a distance but we knew we could finish and that was all that really mattered. Our biggest concern was how the humidity difference might affect us during the race.

Thankfully, back home (at least to this point) we were having a pretty mild winter. Some snow but not a lot and relatively decent temperatures. We really didn't have to deal with too many icy cold Alberta winter days yet which meant I could still run outdoors quite regularly. Of course, this didn't include sticky Florida weather but did help a tremendous amount in getting me mentally and physically prepared for the run.

I made it a point to ensure I was up early on this Wednesday to do a test run throughout the resort property. The alarm buzzed at 615 and up I sprang, ready to hit the trails. With the expansion around the Wilderness Lodge, something new I noticed was the sign dedicating a running trail for those wanting to get it in. I love seeing these things throughout the different resorts on property.

As you can kinda see in that picture, the sun was just starting to rise but it was still pretty dark and the temperature was definitely on the cool side. From everything I could gather, it was ideal running conditions. I set off throughout the resort to find that the running trail was pretty condensed and primarily consisted of running through the new-ish constructed cabin areas, both on the Boulder Ridge side and across the main pool area near the Copper Creek side. I wasn't complaining though, the scenery was gorgeous. The cabins look amazing and the rest of the property was absolutely beautiful with the sun slowly starting to rise.

I was making my final pass down one of the trails when I was stopped dead in my tracks. This friendly fellow decided to run out on to the trail and give me a quick look over. I figured it was best to just stay still so as not to spook it and just wait for it to clear from the path.

After a few seconds of us just staring at each other, my new friend cleared off into the bushes and allowed me to carry on. I ran back up towards the Boulder Ridge entrance, ending my just under 5k run back in front of the running trail sign. All in all, I felt really good about getting up and testing the conditions. It felt no different than what I was used to at home and put my mind at ease about the run on Saturday.

Little did I know at the time, this practice run, while good to get under my belt, would not provide any sort of barometer weather-wise come Saturday morning.

Back in the room Kelly was pretty much ready to go. Not having to do her eyelashes saved us tons of prep time in the morning. I hustled as quickly as I could to get showered and ready to go. We had to stop by the front desk to do our check out/check in and pick up the new MagicBand Kelly had ordered months before the trip. We also wanted to swing by Roaring Fork to grab a quick breakfast before jumping on a boat to head to MK to catch the monorail to EPCOT.

I got myself ready as quickly as I could and we set off for the lobby. It was nearing 8 am at this point which gave us enough time to get everything we needed done before meeting Mike and Kerri at the park for 9. The first stop was at the front desk. While Kelly did out check in and picked up her new band, I took a few quick snaps of a very quiet lobby area.

In the meantime, Kelly had slipped on her new band. She was pretty pumped up about the snack theme!

From there we made our way over to Roaring Fork to grab a very quick bite. Usually, I am all for the food pics but I didn't think a photo of Kelly's frosted flakes and my hot oatmeal were overly exciting. We wolfed it down pretty quickly and decided to stroll over to the dock to grab a boat and start our park day!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention after the first nights' sleep. I was debating on whether to pack my own pillow this trip because I really didn't want to deal with the typical overly stuffed, too fluffy hotel pillows. The morning we were leaving we decided to ditch the pillows and leave extra space to bring back other stuff in our luggage. I was hoping I would be tired enough not to fight it too much and just drift off to sleep eventually.

I was relieved to find out that the WL pillows were probably the best hotel pillow I have ever had. Not too thick, not paper-thin, but beyond comfortable and easy to get used to. Knowing we would have limited sleep time this trip, having good quality pillows was a major bonus!

Rista1313

What a nice looking buck! All caught up... and ready to follow.. I haven't been on instagram much lately, so I missed the pictures there.

I have to say I'm in both camps of unpacking vs living out of the suitcase. Anything longer than 3 days, and I unpack.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
What a nice looking buck! All caught up... and ready to follow.. I haven't been on instagram much lately, so I missed the pictures there.

I have to say I'm in both camps of unpacking vs living out of the suitcase. Anything longer than 3 days, and I unpack.

Thanks for catching up!

I was totally caught off guard by my running mate though how cool And appropriate to run into something like that at the Wilderness Lodge.

I guess I’m one of the odd ones that will unpack everything even if I’m staying one night. I like things to be in order and out of the bag!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I was totally caught off guard by my running mate though how cool And appropriate to run into something like that at the Wilderness Lodge.

I guess I’m one of the odd ones that will unpack everything even if I’m staying one night. I like things to be in order and out of the bag!

Your running encounter was totally cool! And that you were able to get a good picture too (my glasses often fog up a bit so pictures often come out a bit blurry because the close portion of my progressives becomes worthless 😉)

And I totally agree with the unpacking ... even for one night. I find it very satisfying. The only time I don’t do it for one night is if I am staying in a hotel at the airport on a transit between a late arrival and early departure the next morning. But I will remove everything that I will need in the morning and place it neatly beside the suitcase, and will repack the suitcase with anything not needed

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Your running encounter was totally cool! And that you were able to get a good picture too (my glasses often fog up a bit so pictures often come out a bit blurry because the close portion of my progressives becomes worthless 😉)

And I totally agree with the unpacking ... even for one night. I find it very satisfying. The only time I don’t do it for one night is if I am staying in a hotel at the airport on a transit between a late arrival and early departure the next morning. But I will remove everything that I will need in the morning and place it neatly beside the suitcase, and will repack the suitcase with anything not needed

A perfect way to describe the unpacking...satisfying! There's something about having everything in its place and being able to stash that suitcase until it's needed again.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
We walked out of the hotel and were greeted by what was looking like it was going to be an absolutely gorgeous day. In passing, we saw many a person in long sleeves, sweaters, hoodies, and pants but for us, this was ideal summer clothes weather! No doubt we stood out like sore-thumbed Canadians to some but it was really nice basking in some of the early morning rays.

The rising sun made the grounds look even more amazing as we walked over toward the loading dock.

We arrived at the dock and jumped into a decently long line of people waiting to catch the Magic Kingdom boat. As the minutes ticked away, more and more guests lined up behind us. There was no MK boat in sight but in the distance the boat from Fort Wilderness was nearing our dock. We decided to hop on over to that empty line and shuttle over to the Contemporary instead. The boat docked and a few other guests joined us in bypassing the MK line for a trip over to the resort.

The boat transportation is one of my favourite ways to get around. There is so much to see around the waterways both in the MK and the EPCOT/DHS areas. It's always nice to take a load off and relax even if we were trying to meet up with Mike and Kerri.
<a href='https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNH6d-90-8_qVgaJkD29Cc9eDuoiZu0MBUFsgGJbd8KANLxEFmc4_GRJGvw5vJbzQ?key=emwza0F4c0x0N1FraklKaTYzWjdCckx4Um9hQkN3&source=ctrlq.org'>

A quick ride later and we were dropped off on the backside of the Contemporary resort. Having never stayed here and really only spending time at Chef Mickey's or the Top of the World Lounge, we've never really seen a lot more of the grounds. While obviously much different than what we are used to at WL, I was very impressed by the space and the layout of the area around. We figured we might as well check out a few things before making our way inside and up to the monorail level.

We made our way up the escalators and eventually up to the monorail concourse. The line for security was empty and we were both pretty pleased to be able to whip through and not have to worry about it when we arrived at EPCOT. Before heading up to catch our ride to the TTC, how can you pass up the opportunity to take a few snaps of the famous, and beautiful, Mary Blair mural?

Monorail Green zoomed over a few moments after we entered the line and we were whisked over to the TTC. As we made the stroll over to the connection to EPCOT, we received a message from Mike and Kerri that they were at the park entrance. It was about 850 and we told them just to head into the park and we would meet up with them when we arrived.

Monorail orange took a little longer to pick us up but eventually, we were on that highway in the sky looping around Future World and pulling into the station at EPCOT. During the trip over we ended up chatting with an elderly couple who were heading to the park with their grandkids. They asked us about our trip and we told them about the races. We let them know we were from Canada and back at home they were experiencing a major dump of snow. 10 cm was falling and the temperatures were slipping into a deep freeze very quickly. The timing for our flights could not have been better! Looking at our weather app, there was going to be about a 45-degree temperature difference from home to WDW. Thankful we were on the winning end of that one! It was a great way to pass the time and get to know some fellow guests. They wished us luck with our runs and we all took off on our way to the gates.

In the meantime, Mike and Kerri were making the most of their time waiting for us.

We were welcomed home as we passed through the gate and met up with them underneath SSE. We had an early morning FP for Test Track but instead of hitting it up right off the bat, we deiced to head back to the Land to ride Soarin' and hope that it was 100% operational, unlike the night before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom