Remembering Pearl Harbor... 75 years ago today

prberk

Original Poster
The Japanese attacks on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii occurred around 8 a.m. local time seventy-five years ago. It was a tremendous attack and brought the United States of America into World War II.

Here is a story from a survivor:

And here is President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's famous speech the next day about that "date which shall live in infamy":

It is a day to remember.

prberk

Original Poster
Thanks for posting this Paul. It's another event we should never forget.

You know people here sometimes debate the value of the history lessons (and other "edutainment") in the WDW parks, but I have to say the American Adventure, and to some extent the Hall of Presidents, has kept some of these events "alive" for me. Pearl Harbor is represented, as are so many seminal events in our history. The old adage about those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it comes to mind. Some history repeats itself anyway and we cannot control, but we can know how we reacted before -- and what worked or did not work. Likewise we can simply remember the sacrifices that came before in order to give us the liberties that we enjoy today, despite their imperfections -- and maybe even use those days of remembrance to steel our resolve to keep and even expand those liberties. I know that for me, the "edutainment" at WDW, and especially in the American Adventure, is worth the time spent in it to reflect.

Nemo14

You know people here sometimes debate the value of the history lessons (and other "edutainment") in the WDW parks, but I have to say the American Adventure, and to some extent the Hall of Presidents, has kept some of these events "alive" for me. Pearl Harbor is represented, as are so many seminal events in our history. The old adage about those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it comes to mind. Some history repeats itself anyway and we cannot control, but we can know how we reacted before -- and what worked or did not work. Likewise we can simply remember the sacrifices that came before in order to give us the liberties that we enjoy today, despite their imperfections -- and maybe even use those days of remembrance to steel our resolve to keep and even expand those liberties. I know that for me, the "edutainment" at WDW, and especially in the American Adventure, is worth the time spent in it to reflect.
Amen!

MinnieM123

Premium Member

That was very well written. And yes, we need to hang on to the Hall of Presidents.

wdwfan4ver

Very true. I am related to multiple people who served in World War 2.

One of my ancestors served in World War 1 in the infantry also.

I mentioned World War 1 because the Versailles treaty was so harsh on Germany that that it made the country vulnerable to being manipulated by a person like Adolf Hitler. I remembered World War 1 being taught in history class. That treaty was treated as one of the reason how World War 2 happened.

The Versailles treaty hurt Germany from an economic standpoint combined with foreign countries placing protective tariffs on Germany's goods. The government of Germany tried different ways from getting the Germany Economy worse, but it didn't help at with Hitler taking advantage of it with him raising in power at the time.

Last edited:

prberk

Original Poster
Very true. I am related to multiple people who served in World War 2.

One of my ancestors served in World War 1 in the infantry also.

I mentioned World War 1 because the Versailles treaty was so harsh on Germany that that it made the country vulnerable to being manipulated by a person like Adolf Hitler. I remembered World War 1 being taught in history class. That treaty was treated as one of the reason how World War 2 happened.

The Versailles treaty hurt Germany from an economic standpoint combined with foreign countries placing protective tariffs on Germany's goods. The government of Germany tried different ways from getting the Germany Economy worse, but it didn't help at with Hitler taking advantage of it with him raising in power at the time.

Thank you. I am not sure I entirely understood that. At the time I was in high school (early eighties), I distinctly remember most history classes sorting running out of steam (and calendar) right around WWII (both American History and World History).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom