Remembering and Rebuilding Horizons

Tocpe

Original Poster
As sort of a tribute IMHO, to one of the greatest Disney attractions of all time, I've been working on a 3D recreation of Horizons. I've posted a pic to show my progress on the project so far and would love to hear what you guys and gals think!:)

Here's a list of what I have left:
1. Paint Horizons the correct colors (called Texturing/shading in the 3D world:)) All the colors you see in the current pic are temporary.
2. Add the grooves in the roof and side angle roof supports.
3. Add lightning rods.
4. Build the landscaping and texture it.
5. Add dramatic lighting, a background and cameras.

As for the back of the building looking squished, it's an optical glitch added by the virtual camera I used for this render. The final version won't have this problem. What you're looking at is essentially a test rendering, so I can get some feedback on the project to make sure I'm not missing anything as I progress. :)

Tocpe

ArsonWinter

Question about this:

Do you think it would be possible to build a physical scale model (or as close as possible) based off this 3d rendering?

The_CEO

Originally posted by ArsonWinter
Question about this:

Do you think it would be possible to build a physical scale model (or as close as possible) based off this 3d rendering?

Oh yeah - If you have the cash. Anything is possible.

Tocpe

Original Poster
Yes it's possible, I've built the model to scale so all the proper dimentions are there. (Or at least as close as possible with the source materials I'm working from). Are you thinking about it ArsonWinter? :)

Tocpe

Tocpe

Original Poster
New renderings

I've posted some new renderings:

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

I'm starting to make some real progress on it. I still have some details to put on the angled roof supports. I've just started laying down some of the landscaping and it's still pretty crude. I'll be putting up the Horizons sign and the walkway posts next. Then on to...whatever strikes my fancy next! :lol:

As always, questions, comments welcome. :)

Jason

edited on 2/24/04 - updated pics, broke into 4 larger images

mrtoad

Re: New renderings

Originally posted by Tocpe
I've posted some new renderings:

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

I'm starting to make some real progress on it. I still have some details to put on the angled roof supports. I've just started laying down some of the landscaping and it's still pretty crude. I'll be putting up the Horizons sign and the walkway posts next. Then on to...whatever strikes my fancy next! :lol:

As always, questions, comments welcome. :)

Jason

Excellent!

aim

sweet!

This is too awesome! I have to agree with ArsonWinter. It would be very kool to have a model of Horizons! Great job!

All4Gemini

Those are sweet pics. I also like that one with MS in construction and the "Watch this HORIZON" sign in front, That's pretty creative and funny.

Tocpe

Original Poster
All4Gemini: Those aren't pics. (If you are refering to the image links I posted above) Those are 3D renderings. I have more on my site detailing to progress of this project and my EPCOT 3D project.

What pic are you refering to with the "Watch this HORIZON" sign?

M:SpilotISTC12

i dont get it. how can u guys not like mission space? its such a great ride and i dont think horizons was that great. if it was still around people would hate it now because we need a different ride. if eisner did anything good it was building mission space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tocpe

Original Poster
Okay, before we get into a M:S/Horizons/Michael Eisner Flame war, let's remember, that's not what this thread is about.

There are plenty of other threads at wdwmagic where those topics can be discussed. And let's not forget, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. :)

Tocpe

Original Poster
Thanks! I think I'm gonna get back on the Horizons project here in the next couple of days. I'll post new pics here when I have 'em. :)

Tocpe

Original Poster
I've been toying with the idea for some time. I'd like to someday, but I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to get to it. Trust me, when/if I do. I'll be posting it here, cause my memory and old handycam films only reveal so much. :)

Tocpe

Original Poster
03.07.04 Updates!

Updates! I put the 'ol nose to the grindstone this weekend and make some headway on the Horizons project. Here's two images and there's more on my site:

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom