Remember Adventureland Veranda?

walt-sent-me

Original Poster
Anyone know why this restaurant closed, and why Disney does not use the space as an eatery or another purpose? It was one of my favorite places to eat when it was open - liked the food and the atmosphere. Hate seeing it shuttered every time I pass by.

BRER STITCH

I've no idea about the reasons for closing it up, but we always eat our Dole Whips on the Adventurland Veranda....umm......veranda! :lol:

They were using the area near the water for character meet and greets all winter!

Seems a good spot for a sit down eatery to me!

:veryconfu

EpcoTim

They used to have the best chicken fingers there (back when I still ate meat) and If i remember correctly, they had a sweet caribbean style dipping sauce, Teriyaki maybe. But I forget, that was awhile ago.

walt-sent-me

Original Poster
What a waste of space! My favorite spot to eat was the open-air porch that sits adjacent the canal and faces towards the castle hub.

ToTBellHop

Oh why do they keep letting the Magic Kingdom slip further and further...I swear...you don't find this garbage over at Epcot. They still care about good show over there...really MGM and AK, too. It's just the MK that gets sloppier and sloppier (and thus I spend more and more time at the other three parks).

Pioneer Hall

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Oh why do they keep letting the Magic Kingdom slip further and further...I swear...you don't find this garbage over at Epcot. They still care about good show over there...really MGM and AK, too. It's just the MK that gets sloppier and sloppier (and thus I spend more and more time at the other three parks).

It is kind of like MK's equivalent to the Odyssey Center.

ToTBellHop

DisneyInsider said:
It is kind of like MK's equivalent to the Odyssey Center.
Yeah...but I've gotten used to the Odyssey just sitting there...I like to pretend that it was actually there before Epcot opened and Disney just built around it..."nothing to see here, move along!"

dxwwf3

ISTCNavigator57 said:

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

10 years ago I used to think of the MK as being my favorite park, now it's definitely 4th at WDW for me. And I'm not just talking about the Tomorrowland changes either. We get news today of a new Magic Kingdom counter service spot reopening in Fantasyland and guess what's on the menu.......McDonald's fries and hot dogs.

It would be great if the MK got the same type of treatment the other 3 parks have been getting lately. Unfortunatley, until attendence goes down, we might not see too many improvements.

MAYBE the POTC refurbishment will go over well and it will get the ball rolling. But the park needs more than TLC to certain attractions, IMO.

shoppingnut

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Yeah...but I've gotten used to the Odyssey just sitting there...I like to pretend that it was actually there before Epcot opened and Disney just built around it..."nothing to see here, move along!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ToTBellHop

dxwwf3 said:
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

10 years ago I used to think of the MK as being my favorite park, now it's definitely 4th at WDW for me. And I'm not just talking about the Tomorrowland changes either. We get news today of a new Magic Kingdom counter service spot reopening in Fantasyland and guess what's on the menu.......McDonald's fries and hot dogs.

It would be great if the MK got the same type of treatment the other 3 parks have been getting lately. Unfortunatley, until attendence goes down, we might not see too many improvements.

MAYBE the POTC refurbishment will go over well and it will get the ball rolling. But the park needs more than TLC to certain attractions, IMO.
The MK needs work like Disneyland saw with Matt Ouimet leading up to the 50th...

ToTBellHop

dxwwf3 said:
That sure would be nice. I wouldn't put money on it, but we can dream.
I wouldn't put money on it w/ the current MK management, but that can always change...they have people with brains running Epcot, MGM, and AK.

natalia1681

I have a quick question regarding the Odyssey. What was it? I always see the building at Epcot, but don't have a clue what is was used/is used for.:)

dxwwf3

It used to be a nice counter service restaurant that sometimes had live entertainment on a stage. Similar in tone to Cosmic Ray's in Tomorrowland, except without the three separate lines. From what I remember, it had your standard Electric Umbrella fare.

I tell you what they need to do is add a whole new section to the park or maybe two and they would be "STICH LANDING" and "PIXAR ZONE". but seriously i would love for them to add a new themed area and expand the size of the park.

Epcot82Guy

ISTCNavigator57 said:
I wouldn't put money on it w/ the current MK management, but that can always change...they have people with brains running Epcot, MGM, and AK.

I agree. Although, a certain southwest corner of FW suggests otherwise :lookaroun

Regardless, MK is odd because they seem to be turning it into exactly the type of stereotype Disney World once fought so hard against. I used to hype MK because it was where you could be like a kid, remember what it was like to imagine and pretend about things every kid does (space, pirates, the wild west, haunted places, being in a fairy tale, etc.) Now, though, it really is geared toward kids. The place isn't kept sparkly and pretty (which adults notice more than kids), the new attractions are clearly geared toward the current childhood ONLY (and hope the parents can enjoy it), and the food offerings are becoming mainstreamed (although I will give them this one since demand clearly did not go in favor of diversity). Certainly families are what drive Disney, and especially the MK, but there must be a balance. A dirty park that caters only to people who have been young within the past 5-10 years just doesn;t have the market power OR the longevity to me.

I hate to say it... Epcot is much more Disney World to me at this point.

Back to topic. YES, Adventureland Veranda DID have the best chicken fingers. We used to always eat there and get a dole whip for dessert, head on Tiki, Pirates, and JC, at the end of the night. Was a great tradition. Now I miss my childhood WDW. :cry: **quietly goes to sing "Let's All Sing like the Birdies Sing..."**

dxwwf3

Epcot82Guy said:
Regardless, MK is odd because they seem to be turning it into exactly the type of stereotype Disney World once fought so hard against. I used to hype MK because it was where you could be like a kid, remember what it was like to imagine and pretend about things every kid does (space, pirates, the wild west, haunted places, being in a fairy tale, etc.) Now, though, it really is geared toward kids. The place isn't kept sparkly and pretty (which adults notice more than kids), the new attractions are clearly geared toward the current childhood ONLY (and hope the parents can enjoy it), and the food offerings are becoming mainstreamed (although I will give them this one since demand clearly did not go in favor of diversity). Certainly families are what drive Disney, and especially the MK, but there must be a balance. A dirty park that caters only to people who have been young within the past 5-10 years just doesn;t have the market power OR the longevity to me.

I hate to say it... Epcot is much more Disney World to me at this point.

Bravo! Fantastic post.

ToTBellHop

I can even forgive Disney for Journey into Imagination since Epcot does have far-superior dining, maintenance is pretty much top-notch (a few minor slip ups, but they always get around to fixing things EVENTUALLY), and the current festival really makes Epcot shine...plus it's had more than sufficient investment in new attractions for Future World that appeal to just about everyone. This is more than I can say about the poor maintenance and cleanliness of the Magic Kingdom and such blockbuster new attractions as Stitch's Great Escape, Cinderellabration, Pooh's Potty Place, and the Magic Carpets of Aladdin. Thank gosh for PhilharMagic and Wishes, or I'd have lost all hope. The food isn't that much of an issue for me, anyway--I know which parks to go to for variety (e.g. anywhere but the MK), and I don't exactly hate chicken tenders and fries--I just don't want them for every meal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom