Relocating Question

aw14

Original Poster
Good morning everyone. I am not sure if this is the proper location for a thread of this nature, so if not, mods please feel free to move it.

In speaking with my DW today and in the past, we are really starting to give thought to relocating from Pa to Fla, however, we are really unsure about cities in proximity to WDW. It is of the utmost importance to have good schools for our DD, but I truly believe we are ready to make the move.

Does anyone have any experience with the relocation personally, or know of any locations that are good for families?

Thanks

Funmeister

I recommend spending a week or two in the area during the middle of August before you finalize your decision. Also, please do not move based on your proximity to Disney. If you are moving to be closer to Disney, you will be disappointed.

GrumpyFan

There are plenty of people who have done this, several have even written about it via a blog or posts here and/or other forums.
I would suggest doing a lot of research (Googling) before making the jump.
I know of at least 2 people who did it, and only stayed for 2-3 years because things didn't work out for them, or their expectations fell short.
But, I've read about several others who did and love it.

TheRabbit

I agree with Funmeister, people underestimate our summers. We have a 6 month summer of 90 deg heat, every day. It can really wear you down. Also, as it's been noted, being close to Disney only means dealing with tourists on a regular basis...grocery stores, Wal Marts, gas stations, everywhere filled with tourists, not to mention horrible traffic around tourist areas (Kissimmee, LBV, Clermont, even Windemere). Living in a vacation destination isn't all it appears from an outside state. To quote the phrase, "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" -from someone who lives there.

Slipknot

I second Windermere/Winter Garden. As for the traffic TheRabbit is talking about, it really depends on where in Windermere you are at and the time of day. I literally live right across the street from Walt Disney World property and most of the traffic I deal with is usually Cast Members coming to and leaving work but like I said, it depends on time of day. Also, price of residence depends on where in Windermere you are at. Luckily I live in a cheap-ish apartment neighborhood but a lot of "luxury" apartment neighborhoods and other "pricey" homes are popping up all over the area.

JasonDeyoung

I relocated from Michigan to Tampa which is around a hour away. I agree with some comments above, I'd take a week come down and check out a few different areas.

TheRabbit

Or look near the Airport...Lake Nona area is very good school district and is quiet and building up very well. And only 30-45 min from Disney.

aw14

Original Poster
Thank you all for the responses. There is some good and bad with my job. I am a High School administrator, and I do have reciprocity, but it will take a lot to find appropriate work. Additionally, my salary where I am currently is much larger than it would be in Fla. However, the cost of living is decreased.

It is certainly a lot to digest.

TheRabbit

Thank you all for the responses. There is some good and bad with my job. I am a High School administrator, and I do have reciprocity, but it will take a lot to find appropriate work. Additionally, my salary where I am currently is much larger than it would be in Fla. However, the cost of living is decreased.

And don't forget in Florida there is no state income tax :)

71jason

They key is finding a place to work, then finding an acceptable place to live. The "Orlando area" stretches across six counties. Windermere is great but not a viable option if your job is in Lake Mary or over by UCF. Think of the area immediately around WDW as a small town; there are at least a dozen other such towns that are still considered "Orlando."

Also, I find the lower cost of living to be overestimated, outside of the state income tax (which is a huge help, easy to calculate). Compared to the biggest 10 cities, yes, but otherwise not lower enough to justify the huge drop in pay.

Finally, remember that the good schools in Florida are comparable to average schools in the northeast.

wdwstateofmind

In my opinion, look in the Lakeland / Tampa. We moved from Jersey about a year and a half ago and I think cities like Lakeland and Tampa will make it was easier for you to transition that the Orlando area. If not, Winter Garden does have that town feel kind of, but you'd have to go further east on I-4 to get it your stereotypical northern downtown. I cannot stress more that Florida is in no way going to be like living in Pa.

For the most part outside of theme parks, tourist attractions, and city walk (which is not really a city walk in term of a northern city) there is not much but orange groves and cow swamps. The Orlando area also has a high number of people living under the poverty level due to the high amount of low wage hourly jobs (if you're not in the Disney area, rich neighborhood or a downtown you will notice a lot of homeless everywhere). Also, most of the major corps in Central Florida are in Tampa and this can be seen in the area infrastructure and the way the city develops (entertainment is king in Orlando, but everyone else is elsewhere). As a product of this, more of the high paying jobs are towards the coasts of the state and not the middle. It's also my opinion that Orlando never gives you that city feel the way Jacksonville does and Tampa is becoming. But the big one is, once you're sick of Disney every weekend (which I promise you will happen every now and then) what else is there to do?

What everyone else says is pretty legit. The income tax here is phenomenal and you'll notice it in your first tax return. If you buy a house they are also about 100 - 200K cheaper than a house in PA (I'm from Jersey so I'd know). The education system sucks and changes constantly...just because you move to a neighborhood with a good high school, restructuring might cause that school to suck a year later). The drivers suck from Nov. to May, or earlier if the weather in Canada gets nice earlier.

Listen to others about the weather. Central Florida isn't always hot, it does get cold in the winter, but when it's hot, my god it's hot. If you want to know what I mean go to Magic Kingdom in the middle of August, the sun will hate you just as equally. But if you can get through July and August man is it beautiful weather, and a beautiful state. If you end up moving here then great choice! Whatever you decide good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom