News Reimagined Toontown coming

mharrington

Mickey’s Toontown Fair in Magic Kingdom actually had a distinctly different style from Mickey’s Toontown in Disneyland.

For example, here’s Mickey’s House in Toontown Fair:
View attachment 602600View attachment 602602
And here’s Mickey’s house in Toontown:
View attachment 602601

Minnie’s House in Toontown Fair:
View attachment 602603
And here’s Minnie’s house in Toontown.
View attachment 602604

Yes, Toontown Fair was obviously still cartoon-like. But when you compare pre-Roger Rabbit Toontown Fair to post-Roger Rabbit Toontown, the influence of Roger Rabbit is readily apparent. Everything in Disneyland’s Toontown is much more curved, bulbous, and bouncy, which closely matches the aesthetic of Roger Rabbit, more so than the Mickey Cartoons which were generally more realistic.

They look like the same style to me. Are you sure you weren't thinking of Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland (which didn't even have a house for Minnie)?
Mickey%2527s%2BMagical%2BTV%2BWorld%2B%25281990%2529.jpg

Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland predated Toontown Fair by about eight years.

Honestly, I'm glad the houses look a little more cartoon-like, as it helps show off that you're in a cartoon world. The realistic designs may work in cartoons, but not so much in reality, I don't think.

Are you saying that the backstory with Walt and Mickey meant absolutely nothing back then?

Sharon&Susan

They look like the same style to me. Are you sure you weren't thinking of Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland (which didn't even have a house for Minnie)?
Mickey%2527s%2BMagical%2BTV%2BWorld%2B%25281990%2529.jpg

Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland predated Toontown Fair by about eight years.

Honestly, I'm glad the houses look a little more cartoon-like, as it helps show off that you're in a cartoon world. The realistic designs may work in cartoons, but not so much in reality, I don't think.

Are you saying that the backstory with Walt and Mickey meant absolutely nothing back then?
The difference in the railing of both houses shows how big the gap in styles are:
rail.jpg
rail2.jpg

Pretty much everything on the WDW version of Mickey's House is noticeably straighter and has less of a "bounce" to it for lack of better words. That is except for the add-ons like the front overhang which seem to be straight up cloned from Anaheim's Toontown.

Hell, the gap in style is even further present on Minnie's House. Anaheim's version looks like it's straight up melting while the WDW version looks like the designers just didn't use a ruler while drawing up the blueprints.

Robbiem

Roger Rabbit was a favourite of mine growing up and lets not forget that for a period, Roger was more prevalent than Mickey. He lead parades, was seen walking around constantly, and was used heavily in advertising. There was an entire land planned around RR for MGM Studios.

The style and feel of ToonTown takes its cues from Roger Rabbit, not the Mickey cartoons. The bulbous and puffy look of the architecture isn't found in old Disney cartoons. The backgrounds and environments are for more normal looking. The zaniness and constant whirl of activity and gags is also very much a Roger Rabbit influence. ToonTown was a wild place where surprises and gags lurked everywhere. Mickey lived in an idealized reality and the focus wasn't on gags or a crazy world, but on the characters and interactions. When the gang are cleaning the clock, it isn't a wild and crazy cartoon clock with silly gags and characters, its them interacting with very normal gears, springs, and figurines.

Downtown ToonTown and the Jolly Trolley are pure Roger. The meet and greet suburban area still takes its architecture from Roger, but the gags and interactive elements are more subdued. Its probably why I always spent most of my time riding Cartoon Spin and exploring the various Downtown elements.

WFRR is probably one of the best live action films that Disney has been a part of.
I agree Roger Rabbit is a very underrated movie, it just works on so many levels. Its such a shame that the behind the scene issues got in the way of developing more for the character

Dear Prudence

I am just thinking about how much they let Toontown fall by the wayside. Imagine if it had been like Tokyo and they had actually maintained it. While I am both excited and sad, I am hugely disappointed that we're here in the first place.

SilentWindODoom

I hope they retheme the coaster to something not quite so tied to the '90s (i.e., Gadget).

Funnily enough, at this point they're making more Rescue Rangers content, so it looks like the IP is going to be relevant again.

It would be funny if that keeps it around long enough to be irrelevant again for a couple decades but then when they go back to Toontown to update it, it's been long enough for them to bring it back again.

CaptinEO

Funnily enough, at this point they're making more Rescue Rangers content, so it looks like the IP is going to be relevant again.

It would be funny if that keeps it around long enough to be irrelevant again for a couple decades but then when they go back to Toontown to update it, it's been long enough for them to bring it back again.
It's weird how something can go from being old and completely outdated to "cool
and retro" if you wait long enough. In the early 2000s the Epcot 80s dark rides seemed ancient, but now people would think they are super cool and retro.

mharrington

Fresh Baked claims that Goofy's House is being scrapped as part of the overhaul, but the artwork clearly shows his house visible. Is Goofy's House being retained or isn't it?

Professortango1

I don't know why people are excited about this. It looks like a complete downgrade and a pruning of dead areas. We aren't gaining any new features or attractions outside of MMRT. We lose two working fountains for one smaller fountain.
I think its just the fact that money and effort are being put in to make it nice looking again. And a possible passage to Galaxy's Edge.

J4546

and also "the we arent gaining any new features or attractions outside of MMRR" is kinda hilarious to me because a: we dont know if thats true or not, we only have some vague descriptions there could certainly be some new features in this land but more importantly b: "outside of MMRR" lol, oh you mean the massive e-ticket attraction that costs 100s of millions to build and will surely be a huge hit as it already is in DHS....lol oh gee, no big deal... I swear some people just want to be dissapointed

waltography

and also "the we arent gaining any new features or attractions outside of MMRR" is kinda hilarious to me because a: we dont know if thats true or not, we only have some vague descriptions there could certainly be some new features in this land but more importantly b: "outside of MMRR" lol, oh you mean the massive e-ticket attraction that costs 100s of millions to build and will surely be a huge hit as it already is in DHS....lol oh gee, no big deal... I swear some people just want to be dissapointed
I'm excited to see Toontown develop, but I also completely understand where other posters are coming from.

Disney has a history of overselling and underdelivering in their most recent projects (see Pixar Pier, Avengers Campus, Galactic Starcruiser). People are understandably hesitant to believe anything Disney says because you can't trust anything at their word; there's tons of speculation at what might be updated for Toontown (ex. new path to SWGE, modified MMRR ride) but until shovel hits the dirt and we actually start to see what's being built there's no guarantee for any of this to be the case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom