Reign of Kong

EngineerMom

Original Poster
I am wondering how wild is the Reign of Kong ride?
Its not a coaster with drops is it?

Someone compared it to gringots and I know that has drops?

JoeCamel

If you have younger kids the queue may be a bit intense for them.
Well, I spent 45 minutes in the "room" during opening and all the younger ones were fascinated for the first 10 mins then were bored as I was. Maybe some of the other "effects" can cause a start but overall it is less scary to little ones than most adults think it will be. I don't think the queue is anything to be concerned with. But if you are 'feint of hart' adults may let their fears come to the surface. Amazing how accepting most kids are while adults scream like we imagine little girls do.

sedati

This! Bear to the right when you hit the split or have express so you are loaded to the rear.
I'd recommend sitting in the center for full immersion. Sitting on the edges makes the view of the screen edges unavoidable. That said, the right side does get the best view of the Kong animatronic (much better than expected btw and more than just a head- he's crouched so you see his back and shoulders.)

cheezbat

Don’t wait more than 10 minutes it’s not worth it, IMO. All screens except the end.
Your opinion, of course.

I really liked the ride. While it wasn't quite as amazing as it was hyped up to be, it's still a fun attraction and a great addition to IOA's lineup. Still a fun ride, and the Kong animatronic is awesome. Gave me the old Kongfrontation vibes when I first saw it.

JT3000

Because giant apes will always be politically correct and not subject to being re imagined with changing times?

I don't want to give anyone any ideas, but they did include an aspect of Jackson's version in the attraction that plenty of people complained about back when it was released.

JustInTime

How is that any different than saying, "Don't waste your time with Pirates. It's just a bunch of 50 year old robots."
At least robots are physically there. That and the physical sets make all the difference. You can see a 3D movie anywhere. My opinion, naturally. Our entire group of 8 felt the same. And it was weirdly close to JP. It messes up the idea of lands on individual islands. I understand not everyone agrees. I wish they would have just spent the money redoing Jarassic Park. It’s rough. I don’t think it is worth waiting in line for.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

At least robots are physically there. That and the physical sets make all the difference. You can see a 3D movie anywhere. My opinion, naturally. Our entire group of 8 felt the same. And it was weirdly close to JP. It messes up the idea of lands on individual islands. I understand not everyone agrees. I wish they would have just spent the money redoing Jarassic Park. It’s rough. I don’t think it is worth waiting in line for.
Yes, robots are there and even the best look like a plastic Santa waving from the yard.

All rides require a suspension of disbelief. I can do it for traditional Disney style dark rides anymore. It's like my 450,000th trip through Madame Tussaud's. Spin me, shake me, or flip me over, but please don't drag me through another wax museum.

Tom Morrow

For me, moving through large scale, detailed, physical sets will almost always be more interesting than screen-centric scenes. There is always something to be said for physically being *IN* the scene as opposed to looking at it.

I would prefer screens in dark rides/hybrid rides to be limited to:
1. Conveying fast movement, as in Forbidden Journey, most of the Transformers screen scenes, and the finale of Spider-Man. In these instances, the screen should fill your entire field of vision and you should have to make an effort to see the edges.
2. As an extension or enhancement of a physical scene.

Spider-Man is such a great ride because it fulfills both of these. There's plenty of physical sets to immerse you between the screens, and while the screens are the focal point, they are an extension of the physical set. Transformers is almost entirely point number 1, and it gets a pass because it properly conveys the bombastic chaos of being in a Michael Bay film. Forbidden Journey appropriately saves the screens for fast movement only (aside from Hermione's appearances and the end scenes which are acceptable).

Gringotts, while I still consider to be a pretty good experience overall, too often has you stopping and watching a screen scene unfold. At least the characters are talking to and interacting with you, but stopping for segments while characters talk is not what I want out of what should be a fast-paced thrill ride.

Yes, on Pirates, you're also watching, but you're IN the scene, not watching it through the side of a truck. The splashdown into the reveal of bombardment bay in Pirates is more interesting than anything in Kong to me.

The first two screen scenes in Kong, IMO, are awful. You're right next to the screen and it IS the entire scene aside from maybe some crates in front of it. The truck parks and you watch stuff happen to characters you don't know or care about and the only thing you've seen up to that point onboard was the entrance, which you already saw when walking in the queue, a giant skull, and some giant bats. Having the visual barrier of the truck's windows between you and the screen disconnects you from the scene even more.

Then the 360 scene is kind of cool but also kind of fails on a few levels because, while some action does happen to you, you're mostly watching Kong beat up dinosaurs, disconnected from the action. They didn't go all the way in ensuring everyone feels immersed in the scene since you can easily see the top and bottom of the screen unless you're in the center of the truck. It isn't even a case of having to make an effort to see the edge, it's very easily seen. Screens that convey full immersion and fast movement should fill your entire field of vision. The first two rows also get a very limited view unless you crank your head around.

The final scene with the Kong animatronic is impressive. Many people mistakenly think it's weird because he doesn't threaten you, but they missed the point of the ride - Kong saved your lives and you're sharing a mutual moment of respect and connection. "Ok I saved you, not get outta here." However, there needed to be one more scene after this where you meet up with Kate and whoever else you've been hearing. Instead, you only hear that they're okay via audio.

Some aspects of the ride are very impressive, some are definitely ambitious, but overall the execution is so, so mediocre and overly familiar.

Last edited:

JustInTime

For me, moving through large scale, detailed, physical sets will almost always be more interesting than screen-centric scenes. There is always something to be said for physically being *IN* the scene as opposed to looking at it.

I would prefer screens in dark rides/hybrid rides to be limited to:
1. Conveying fast movement, as in Forbidden Journey, most of the Transformers screen scenes, and the finale of Spider-Man.
2. As an extension or enhancement of a physical scene.

Spider-Man is such a great ride because there's plenty of physical sets to immerse you between the screens, and while the screens are the focal point, they are an extension of the physical set. The first two screen scenes in Kong, IMO, are awful. You're right next to the screen. It IS the entire scene aside from maybe some crates in front of it. The truck parks and you watch stuff happen to characters you don't know or care about and the only thing you've ridden past up to that point was the entrance, which you already saw when walking in, a giant skull, and some giant bats. Yes, on Pirates, you're also watching, but you're IN the scene, not watching it through the side of a truck. The splashdown into bombardment bay in Pirates is more interesting than anything in Kong to me.
Perfectly put! Exactly.

Tom Morrow

Do you think reign of kong will ever get a refurb and update to remove the 3D glasses from the attraction like they did with Despicable Me at Hollywood and Orlando?
I hope not. Fast & Furious in Orlando ditched the 3D glasses and it looks really bad. The perspectives look off and it highlights the fake CGI-ness of it more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom