News Regal Eagle Smokehouse: Craft Drafts & Barbecue replacing Liberty Inn

PREMiERdrum

🤢🤢🤢

Larosa's?!?!? The tasteless cardboard smothered in sugared tomato sauce and covered in baked flavorless "provolone" cheese that a NY Italian man once called "mild as soap"?

That's a hard pass.

🤮🤮🤮
Ew! Pass... LaRosa's isn't representative of anything other than Cincinnati's reckless desire to destroy the good things in life. As a KI-local(ish), the smell of the International Street LaRosa's firing up that legitimately-smells-like-real-actual-vomit sauce in the morning was enough to turn me green heading into the park.

Ohio Valley pizza - popular in the Steubenville area - is cooked with sauce but without much - if any - cheese - and then the cheese is added *after* baking. It's actually very, very good.

Disneyhead'71

Ohio Valley style?
Ok, not my favorite, but I don't hate it. And I have eaten a lot of it. I went to Marsall University in Huntington, WV as a percussion major. Spent a lot of time running up and down the Ohio along the WV/Ohio boarder. We didn't have any Ohio Valley Style in Huntington but just we always stopped for some in Wheeling, WV when traveling to Pittsburgh. Ohio Valley Style beats the crap out of traditional WV pizza which Gino's Pizza and Spaghetti House is the best example of. Flavorless crust, sweet sauce, white vinyl cheese.

Now what is being called West Virginia Style Pizza is found at the place I mentioned first. Pies & Pints.

Btw, @PREMiERdrum one of my favorite drum shells is the old Premier Resonator. It had a wooden liner that gave them a great warm tone with lots of projection. After they quit making them I moved over to TAMA.

Last edited:

PREMiERdrum

Ok, not my favorite, but I don't hate it. And I have eaten a lot of it. I went to Marsall University in Huntington, WV as a percussion major. Spent a lot of time running up and down the Ohio along the WV/Ohio boarder. We didn't have any Ohio Valley Style in Huntington but just we always stopped for some in Wheeling, WV when traveling to Pittsburgh. Ohio Valley Style beats the crap out of traditional WV pizza which Gino's Pizza and Spaghetti House is the best example of. Flavorless crust, sweet sauce, white vinyl cheese.

Now what is being called West Virginia Style Pizza is found at the place I mentioned first. Pies & Pints.

I'm in Columbus and wasn't really exposed to Ohio Valley style until my first gig in TV right out of college, working with a guy from Steubenville. We got a DiCarlo's just west of town a while back, so it's a bit more accessible now.

Columbus' 'Pub Style" pizza... thin crust, heavy toppings, and square cut, will always taste like "home" to me. It originated at Plank's in Columbus' German Village-area but has been popularized (with varying degrees of success) by Donatos. My family has been close to the Grote family who founded Donato's since my parents were in high school.

Btw, @PREMiERdrum one of my favorite drum shells is the old Premier Resonator. It had a wooden liner that gave them a great warm tone with lots of projection. After they quit making them I moved over to TAMA.

I've owned a couple nice, used Resonator kits in my day. I came of age - musically speaking - in the mid-90's so Premier's renaissance products, like Signia, Genista, Gen-X, and Artist Series have always held a special place for me. I still have a custom-order Indigo Quartz hybrid kit that arrived from jolly old England at my door in wooden crates!

After Premier's latest bankruptcy and vacating of UK production, I went under contract with Mapex for both my personal playing as well as the group I direct. I just ended that relationship late last year as I signed on as one of the partners revitalizing the Stingray brand. We have an all-new line of marching and drumset products launching Q3 this year: 100% composite shells and single-piece milled aluminum hardware. I have high hopes.

Bringing things back on topic... given how dated and awful this location was previously, I can't imaging that the switchover to this new concept will be anything but a huge improvement. The menu looks good - even if priced exclusively for DDP - and from what I've heard they'll have some rotational offerings to correspond with the different festivals, etc.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The menu looks good - even if priced exclusively for DDP - and from what I've heard they'll have some rotational offerings to correspond with the different festivals, etc.
Except that, at the moment, the Disney website says that no menu plans are accepted. Of course, that will probably change before it opens, but it would be nice if it never accepted them.

mhochman

Disney does a shockingly great job with beer variety resort wide. I wonder, and maybe you know this, are individual bar managers responsible for their taps?

Back in, say, 2010*, before the craft beer influx into WDW occurred, I had a nice conversation with the bartender at the BLT pool bar. I was asking him why there wasn't a better selection of crafts at the pool bars (I think Chef Mickey had a decent selection that trip). He told me that they were having meetings where he and some of the other tenders were pushing craft beers at the pools and other bars and he thought things would start changing across the entire resort over the next year or so. I know this doesn't answer your question, more just commenting on how the overall shift occurred.

*Disclaimer: I have no idea if I have that timing right. Sometimes things just sort of blur together.

The_Jobu

The flags in the food remind me of a certain specialty dish, I hope its as good

_SouTpVSBLSSWqVgrwLzWbJU3mk=.gif

Grumpy1973

Ew! Pass... LaRosa's isn't representative of anything other than Cincinnati's reckless desire to destroy the good things in life. As a KI-local(ish), the smell of the International Street LaRosa's firing up that legitimately-smells-like-real-actual-vomit sauce in the morning was enough to turn me green heading into the park.

Ohio Valley pizza - popular in the Steubenville area - is cooked with sauce but without much - if any - cheese - and then the cheese is added *after* baking. It's actually very, very good.

Bruno's Calcutta.. being from Orlando area had never had this kind of pizza before but damn that is a good pizza

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

I found that place accidentally while in WV white water rafting 4 year ago or so. Went there because it was about the only place open that "late" (like 8:30 pm) for dinner. It was really good stuff, though. Nice to know it's still around and has a following.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Wait, what...pizza?
Heard this was a barbecued-bird restaurant
It is. Chalk this pizza talk up to thread drift.
Yep. If there's a thread about bbq, people will discuss pizza. If there's a thread about pizza, people will discuss bbq.
Heck, there was talk about cookies in a gondolas thread!

I guess you could say,
That's the way the cookie crumbles. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom