News Refurbishment coming to Tatooine Traders at Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They have stated that there won't be anything in the land that breaks the immersion, specifically no corporate logos, which would make it impossible to sell any Star Wars souvenirs. Disney will keep Tatooine Traders around as long as they can sell Star Wars merch.

The will keep it around until they decide to abandon the commitment to immersion which I expect to last about a week. ;)

S 2

My first thought was this meant that they were going to be keeping Tatooine Traders for a long time if they are refurbing it, but seeing it's only a month refurb, I think that's reading too far into it. They're probably just upgrading some of the inside to provide an outlet for all of the fans who cannot get into Galaxy's Edge when it hits capacity.

While Star Tours story would make sense right outside Galaxy's Edge, especially if it were to exit into the land, Tatooine Traders could also be made to fit as being a store on a different outpost. However, then we're looking at a mini Star Wars land in the park where there is the actual land? And that is also a big story line for another area of the park that really has no other stories or immersive elements to it. I see them keeping it all while the initial demand for Galaxy's Edge causes it to hit capacity, but then to be re-done. Otherwise it's just an identity nightmare.

This is interesting considering the many of us who expect Star Tours and Tattooine Traders to eventually disappear in the years following the opening of GE. Perhaps this is a downgrade in disguise as an upgrade? Even if not it is probably well worth the cost to polish it off to sell to those waiting to get into the land, they'll more than make their money back... I'm excited to see what will be planned for this area once the Indy ride closes and I still think Star Tours will eventually go away....

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
From Blog Mickey (with more pictures here)...

1540868634657.png

999th Happy Haunt

They should make it themed to a Lucasfilm Studio Store, that way it could fit next to Grand Avenue and still sell Star Wars merch, maybe even some Indiana Jones stuff as well.

Edit: Decorate the inside with the displays from the Launch Bay when that closes, kind of a studio store and museum.

Last edited:

Marc Davis Fan

I always thought of the Star Tours experience like this: "you walk onto a movie set, but when you go inside the building you're magically transported to the actual universe of Star Wars, and then when you arrive at Tatooine Traders you've returned to the movie set as though it was all a dream..."

But now that the "movie set" pretext has been even further reduced, what in the world are we supposed to be doing? Did someone just build a Tatooine-looking building and an Ewok Village in Downtown Los Angeles, which happens to have a spaceport inside? IMHO, the best way to make Star Tours "work" in its location would have been to double-down on the "movie set" aspect on the outside/facades and in the store.

tomast

They destroy it! its much more clean and modern and much less Tatooine :(

In my wildest dreams they were going to build a tunnel to connect the Star Tours exit into SWL. So you can ride it and land on batuu and leave the spaceship walking to the real batuu :) It would have been so awsome that universal would have to upgrade their hogwarts express

tomast

Bah... Is it me or everything in Disney is getting this "Instagram lifting" and its geating cleaner and less decorated. Its a pitty, I love that style with its just fashion, when the fashion of this clean and empty spaces ends there are going to be empty and "stock" buildings everywhere with some Ikea looking

Jon81uk

double-down on the "movie set" aspect on the outside/facades and in the store.

I think they are doing the opposite, I expect any references to movie set to be removed soon. You will either be in the location or not. They don't want you to think it is a replica. Universal Orlando are going down a similar route, you are walking into the movie, not the set of the movie.

Bocabear

Honestly they should rebuild Star Tours at the entrance to the Galaxy's Edge and have that as the true entrance to that area of the park...so you take a shuttle to the Galaxy's Edge... and a new Gift shop... Demolish the existing building and put the Inidana Jones mini land and ride there...There is a ton of room there. The stunt show has the largest footprint of any attraction in the park (not including Fantasmic)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Well, if'n you ask me, they're wasting a huge opportunity by not relocating the Star Tours simulators to the SW Resort and using them for the transition between the hotel and SW:GE.

Marc Davis Fan

I think they are doing the opposite, I expect any references to movie set to be removed soon. You will either be in the location or not. They don't want you to think it is a replica. Universal Orlando are going down a similar route, you are walking into the movie, not the set of the movie.

I must have been unclear. I recognize that the Star Tours attraction itself is "inside the movie." But, for instance, the Tatooine and Endor facades on the outside do not fit thematically in their surroundings (Hollywood/Los Angeles). The only way that the facades can fit is if they're seen as movie sets until you walk inside of them.

jt04

Honestly they should rebuild Star Tours at the entrance to the Galaxy's Edge and have that as the true entrance to that area of the park...so you take a shuttle to the Galaxy's Edge... and a new Gift shop... Demolish the existing building and put the Inidana Jones mini land and ride there...There is a ton of room there. The stunt show has the largest footprint of any attraction in the park (not including Fantasmic)

What if they left Star Tours where it is. Toned it down and connected it to present Muppets area. Then reimagine Muppets square into Star Wars but tailored to younger families. Better Jedi Academy and Tie Fighter/X-wing spinner and 4-D theater show etc.

Jon81uk

I must have been unclear. I recognize that the Star Tours attraction itself is "inside the movie." But, for instance, the Tatooine and Endor facades on the outside do not fit thematically in their surroundings (Hollywood/Los Angeles). The only way that the facades can fit is if they're seen as movie sets until you walk inside of them.

and it wouldn't surprise me if the exterior facades are removed or re-done at some point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom