News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

Skywise

Does look good. But, why is the water a chalky-looking color? IIRC, the water was clear in the previous incarnation...
They're trying to go for a sandy/island pond look so the "chalky" part is actually the sand-colored painted bottom and, even though the water is clear, makes it look "murky" in a lot of these photos.
It's certainly more intricate and realistic than the original pond but I think the original "fantasy" pond may have invoked a better sense of tropical island feel as it made the water look deeper (even though it was basically a shopping mall fountain).
(or maybe it actually was deeper and they went this route to simplify maintenance)

Epcot82Guy

I'm mixed. The landscaping looks good, though not much of an improvement over what was there.

The pillars, plastic-feeling panels and underside of the porte definitely feel like they cheaped out. They need a faux finish (or even better finish for the columns) to justify the deluxe moniker.

I like all of the ideas added quite a bit. The failures here are solely in execution.

JoeCamel

I'm mixed. The landscaping looks good, though not much of an improvement over what was there.

The pillars, plastic-feeling panels and underside of the porte definitely feel like they cheaped out. They need a faux finish (or even better finish for the columns) to justify the deluxe moniker.

I like all of the ideas added quite a bit. The failures here are solely in execution.

This is exactly it. If all of the pillars etc. actually looked like wood, it would probably be excellent. Instead it's very obviously metal and concrete which just destroys the whole attempted feel.
Vinyl wraps to make them look like a bundle of bamboo?

Epcot82Guy

Vinyl wraps to make them look like a bundle of bamboo?
Only if they have Moana on them and a throne to Chapek.

Seriously, though. If they added some lava rocks at each pedestal and did a faux stone or similar texture in a leaf or similar pattern, I would be ok. Poly has tiki kitsch. So there is a lot of leeway. But plain painted columns simply aren't enough for Value. Let alone Deluxe.

Skywise

Only if they have Moana on them and a throne to Chapek.

Seriously, though. If they added some lava rocks at each pedestal and did a faux stone or similar texture in a leaf or similar pattern, I would be ok. Poly has tiki kitsch. So there is a lot of leeway. But plain painted columns simply aren't enough for Value. Let alone Deluxe.
Yeah - a plastic lava rock shell on the poles. I'm sympathetic to maintenance/cost realities but not at the prices they're charging!
Again - Universal's Royal Pacific seems to do far more at lower prices.

UNCgolf

Yeah - a plastic lava rock shell on the poles. I'm sympathetic to maintenance/cost realities but not at the prices they're charging!
Again - Universal's Royal Pacific seems to do far more at lower prices.

I think the Royal Pacific is a much better hotel than the Polynesian. I don't think it's themed to the same level (although Disney is apparently trying to detheme the Polynesian) but it's nicer despite costing much less (as you said).

Epcot82Guy

I think the Royal Pacific is a much better hotel than the Polynesian. I don't think it's themed to the same level (although Disney is apparently trying to detheme the Polynesian) but it's nicer despite costing much less (as you said).
As a UOAP, I've stopped comparing then this way. Instead, I'm usually comparing them to the Disney moderates (given the price point). When you do that, it's no comparison. If Universal and Loews built a truly higher end, themed hotel, it would be the clear winner IMHO.

Skywise

As a UOAP, I've stopped comparing then this way. Instead, I'm usually comparing them to the Disney moderates (given the price point). When you do that, it's no comparison. If Universal and Loews built a truly higher end, themed hotel, it would be the clear winner IMHO.
I don't follow - you're saying that the Poly is in a higher class than Royal Pacific merely because it charges more? Or that the Royal Pacific is really a "moderate" resort?

JoeCamel

I don't follow - you're saying that the Poly is in a higher class than Royal Pacific merely because it charges more? Or that the Royal Pacific is really a "moderate" resort?
It's a value proposition. What WDW charges for a moderate Universal charges for a deluxe so when you compare the two Universal is head and shoulders above staying in the bubble.

Sir_Cliff

Yep, everyone does get an opinion, and nearly everything we talk about is subjective. But this is one time that I honestly do not understand how anyone can look at all the concrete and metal and think it looks good. It really does look like a warehouse.
Definitely agree. The pictures give me the vibe of walking out of a multi-storey carpark into some nice landscaping. Painting the concrete columns brown and putting together a very nice tropical garden and water feature along the walkway to the entrance seems like something a nice mall in Honolulu might do.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

I think that this is a massive improvement regardless, but there are four things that seem like they would have been easy to do that would have made it even more successful.

1. Stain or finish the surface of the main monorail platform.
2. Pick a different color for the underside of the roof.
3. Clad the pillars in something to mitigate their obviously concrete appearance.
4. Use rope netting for the light spheres rather than the ugly black nylon netting.

I’m probably an idiot, but I still have hope that something will happen on points 3 and 4 because the concept art looks pretty different, but yeah. I still prefer it to what was there before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom