News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

Skywise

I kind of hope those are just placeholders or something, though that may be too optimistic. It just seems odd that they'd pick a completely different fixture here when other outdoor areas like this at the resort do use the same rope netting and glassy orbs from the lobby (see: Tokelau's entrance, for example).
I agree - those have to be temporary - but if so... why put them up? Maybe they're trying to add some flair while the permanent installations are coming but it seems to make things worse.

James Alucobond

I agree - those have to be temporary - but if so... why put them up? Maybe they're trying to add some flair while the permanent installations are coming but it seems to make things worse.
Are they actually a source of light at night? If so, my thought was that they might've needed temporary orbs to cover the actual fixture guts while the final orbs and netting are being fabricated, but perhaps wishful thinking.

Skywise

Are they actually a source of light at night? If so, my thought was that they might've needed temporary orbs to cover the actual fixture guts while the final orbs and netting are being fabricated, but perhaps wishful thinking.
I haven't seen any pics of it lit up so maybe that's the case. That'd be a good sign that there's more work to be done on the underside

lazyboy97o

Like the walls at TRON and Guardians of the Galaxy, it makes no sense to buy prefinished metal and then cover it or scenic paint it.

It also makes no sense to select, source, buy and install temporary fixtures that aren’t just cheap temporary fixtures. It also makes no sense to buy parts of lighting fixtures, especially ones intended for outdoor use that will need a wind and water rating, and cobble them together over time.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

Like the walls at TRON and Guardians of the Galaxy, it makes no sense to buy prefinished metal and then cover it or scenic paint it.
I would generally agree, except that I feel like I’ve already seen them do this elsewhere on property, like on gables similar to this around the Polynesian where they started out as a cream color underneath and later changed to a more golden yellow. I may be horribly mistaken and misremembering, though, but they looked like pre-finished metal to me as well.

pdude81

I would think it's cheaper to use the same coating on the entire outer surface of a metal panel or beam and more uniform in application. Also in case of any water leaks or animal intrusion you'd want any additional protection you can get.

DCBaker

Premium Member
New panel added -

5AA93187-BAB1-4839-9231-A8FB7F062B35.jpeg

307243F2-52E2-4CB1-9DF6-68984F2486CC.jpeg

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Here's what was said less than one year ago: "The open and airy design of the entryway will feature dramatic lighting elements, including beautiful chandeliers inspired by glass floats, fishing nets and oversized bamboo elements. The new chandeliers will match the existing grand chandelier in the resort lobby, artfully bridging interior and exterior spaces."

They'd have to be starting pretty far off course if what we are seeing ends up as the final project. I'll also bring up this old concept art when Disney was kicking the tires on a different expansion. Obviously it's a different porte cochere but it has some of the elements (like chandeliers to match GCH lobby) that marry well some of the 2020 description. I'm hopeful that the orbs will be painted and distributed to be lights because there's no other obvious lighting.
313069-HHCP-Disney_Polynesian-Porte_Cochere.jpg

Mark48

"They'd have to be starting pretty far off course if what we are seeing ends up as the final project. "

I agree with this totally. My concern has its basis in the fact that this project is limping too the finish
line with a skeleton crew. I can safely say I have never seen a project that slows down as it gets closer
to completion. Unpainted supports - Pre fab decorative panels that take forever to install-A short bridge
too the 2nd floor wrapped in plastic for weeks and weeks on end, Etc Etc Etc. Due to this being the case I have, Unfortunately ,
a belief that if these orbs were going to be painted , it would have happened before installation. There simply isnt
enough labor being utilized to do things in a " Put them up and we will come back to it " way. On a
side note, I am getting sick and tired of the construction around the Poly property never being completed.
Mini excavators have reappeared and ground is being torn up AGAIN. Combine this with the DVC "Soft "
refurb and I think you are looking well into next year for thie nightmare to end.

Mark48

Thanks for the photo update. Does anyone know if the target for completion/re-opening of the monorail is still set for “mid-August”?

Just looks like quite a bit to still complete before being able to reintroduce the Polynesian’s monorail service.
I think the correct answer is mid-august is out the window and Oct 1 is in imminent peril. The 4 guys working on this have months ahead of them.

James Alucobond

I think the correct answer is mid-august is out the window and Oct 1 is in imminent peril. The 4 guys working on this have months ahead of them.
The side facing the resort has recently been given way more attention than the side facing the parking lot, and much of the interior scaffolding has come down. I kind of wonder if they're working to get the monorail station itself and the emergency exit stairs open before continuing work on the water feature and front-facing facade.

Mark48

The side facing the resort has recently been given way more attention than the side facing the parking lot, and much of the interior scaffolding has come down. I kind of wonder if they're working to get the monorail station itself and the emergency exit stairs open before continuing work on the water feature and front-facing facade.
I hope so

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom