News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

UNCgolf

Honestly, with these decent shots showing the underside, I don’t mind it. Just looks like wood planks painted white.

Works for me.

Maybe it's because I already know it's metal, but it doesn't look like wood at all to me. It looks like a steel/aluminum sheet.

I'm not planning to stay at the Polynesian anyways, though, so it doesn't matter to me.

MrPromey

Maybe it's because I already know it's metal, but it doesn't look like wood at all to me. It looks like a steel/aluminum sheet.

I'm not planning to stay at the Polynesian anyways, though, so it doesn't matter to me.

I agree and maybe for the same reason.

That said, if they were to do something about that, I'd say this is coming along better than I was expecting.

montyz81

Wow. I am so disappointed in the lack of detail for the new entrance. I really hope that they try to cover these structures to bring that wood look of the old entrance. If not... it looks like the cost-cutting continues. I've seen better displays at Six Flags.

rle4lunch

I wonder how he got his helicopter so low in order to take these pics?!? bonus points if you know the movie this screen grab is from.
download.jpg

hpyhnt 1000

The new porte cochere is... fine(ish). I know it's referencing very different cultural and architectural sources, but the entrance at Animal Kingdom Lodge is just executed so much better.

Poly:
1628003500140.png

AKL:
1628003566494.png

There's just so much more attention paid to the Lodge structure. I find the colors to be more natural, the beams and columns are textured to mimic wood, there's extra details like the cross bracing and roof connectors to further help "sell" the illusion, and the chandeliers hang as contrasting focal points.

Compare to the Poly where the white glass orbs get lost against the similarly colored roof, there's practically zero attempt to hide the concrete and steel nature of the structure, we lack supporting details like roof connectors and rope lashing, and basic infrastructure like the fire sprinklers is painfully obvious and detracts from the design (compared to AKL where the sprinklers are better integrated).

At the end of the day, both entries are steel and concrete mimicking a wooden structure, but only one pulls it off. You can't help but conclude the AKL designers knew exactly what they needed to do and pretty much nailed the execution whereas the Poly folks... didn't.*

*I know the area is still a construction zone so maybe/hopefully we'll see some improvements in the months ahead.

Last edited:

Mike730

There's so many vloggers at this point that you can search something Disney parks related on YouTube and there's bound to be a video about it from the past week or so. Port Cochere linked below

Bocabear

Yes the new porte cochere structure has much better lines than the old...(which was wood)... Problem is the actual finished doesn't look either "Polynesian" or Deluxe, both of which this hotel is supposed to be.
It is not merely a utilitarian structure to cover arrivals from the elements, It is also a guest's first impression of the Resort. More care needs to be taken with the final details.
Yes! The new structure is great, just finish it in an appropriate manner. Details really do matter especially when you are making a first impression.

Last edited:

hpyhnt 1000

Oof, from underneath almost everything in that photo looks like metal/plastic/concrete. The comparison to AKL is incredibly unflattering.
To be fair, the vast majority of hotels compare unfavorably to AKL's Jambo House! On property, only Wilderness Lodge holds a candle to it.

Say what you will about Disney's hotel service standards, but the design of the Lodge's common areas isn't just good by Disney standards, it really is world class. A rare instance where WDW got something truly special.

montyz81

Just to keep in perspective, this was the previous drop off area.
View attachment 577061
For comparison: This is what they are actually capable of:
1628017238193.png
1628017286110.png

I am looking at it from a materials used perspective, not from an outward design perspective. Steel girders do not give me that sense of being in a structure based in the polynessiean region. The old entrance did, the Aulani entrance does. If only Joe were still around to fix this

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom