News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

Bocabear

Just looked at it yesterday, and it does look like it is dug out for a water feature...
We were all hopeful when we saw that... A cast member walking by asked us not to take pictures, and while she could not confirm that the water features were indeed returning, she gushed about how beautiful the new arrival would be...
I will believe it when I see it... But at least I am more hopeful...

flutas

Not sure where you got from but I do believe you may be making assumptions. Club 33 has not, at this point, been offered any previews of restaurants or hotels or shows that are yet to reopen. If that changes it will be news to members 🤷🏼‍♀️

More or less 30ish days to reopening.

Attachments

• Ohana Image.jpg
    Ohana Image.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Chomama

More or less 30ish days to reopening.

10 points for you. You were correct on all counts

TikibirdLand

Mr. Moderate

The update this morning was a nice addition to my morning coffee and I too hope that the gardens and water effects will restored. There was always something special about arriving at the Polynesian, seeing the garden effects, hearing the sounds of the water and feeling the relaxation and calming nature of entering the GCH. Pulling into the old Porte Cochere and feeling the vibe that the Polynesian gave off, the monorail running overhead, was one of the reasons why I loved staying there.

FTR, I miss the fountain/waterfall effect in the lobby when checking in and the sights and the unique smells were the signal that our WDW vacation had begun. I know change is constant and time moves on, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I miss the old lobby, but I'm glad to see the Polynesian getting some love here. Funny how a hotel/resort can conjure up such emotions and bring back a flood of memories.

Weather_Lady

Love the new entry area. Really hoping the theming (gardens and water effects) will be restored between the monorail and the CH.
There have been so many pipes and trenches visible in the photos of that area thus far -- and even a visible wooden dock-style "bridge" that's being built between the vehicle dropoff point and the ground-level front doors -- with the area beneath it dug out as if to make way for a stream -- I'm cautiously optimistic that water features will be back.

(See, e.g., this photo - posted by Jim Vrabel to Tikiman's Unofficial Polynesian Resort Page's Facebook page yesterday morning.)

199284442_10158383822931743_5380228217091702580_n.jpg

Last edited:

Skywise

Is the Port Cochere actually "installed" on those pics? It seems to me there's a gap between it and the monorail roof. From the art it looked like it was an extension of the monorail roof which, more importantly, would completely cover the entrance (so no rain openings).
I'm sure it will be completely covered (?) but it just doesn't seem that way at the moment.

Parker in NYC

I am a pretty harsh critic on a lot of things, but I think this looks terriffic... Great scale, very dramatic, and no, not a HoJo's roof... Though the old classic HoJo's are now considered great design from a modernist perspective... Sure beats the predictable, boring boxes they build today.
I love mid-century modern. I think my issue is that this is a false gateway into mid-century Moana.

Weather_Lady

I am a pretty harsh critic on a lot of things, but I think this looks terriffic... Great scale, very dramatic, and no, not a HoJo's roof... Though the old classic HoJo's are now considered great design from a modernist perspective... Sure beats the predictable, boring boxes they build today.
I agree. The old entrance looked like somebody's overbuilt rear deck, ca. 1980.

The new design looks dramatic, is modern and retro at the same time, and echos the rooflines and colors of the longhouses far better.

Weather_Lady

I wish there was a way to realign the parking lot so that you are approaching the entrance from the front instead of from the side. You've now got this new, great looking front that most guests won't see.
They'll have two additional roof sections coming off of each side of the porte cochere, facing the oncoming and outgoing vehicle traffic, with smaller steep triangular peaks (see picture). The concept art is a straight-on view so we obviously can't see what they'll look like, but I'm hoping they'll at least have colorful open-work designs like the one on the front-facing peak. I agree that it's too bad that arriving guests won't get the front-ways view, but maybe the sides will have something to offer. I guess we'll see...

7743.jpg

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
This is coming along nicely. I know this is strange to say about a WDW remodel, but If I was a betting man, I would easily put my money on water features coming back and better than before.

Also I learned a new fancy term today. I am so looking forward to the next time I can wedge 'Port Cochere' into conversation.
I am bougie AF.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom