News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

JustInTime

The the design on the tshirt is pretty obviously derived from Oceanic Arts original work.

And as someone else said, it all depends on the contract, but I would be pretty surprised if Oceanic agreed to Disney creating merchandise (a shirt which is sold is not an ad) based off of their art and designs.

View attachment 559861
View attachment 559862View attachment 559863
Which is interesting because there is a brown mug with this exact same design still sitting in the gift shop. Which leads me to think this was more due to cultural issues than copyright.
1F2D641C-1EFD-4D6A-8CD0-C65DB9A8F668.jpeg

Amused to Death

Which is interesting because there is a brown mug with this exact same design still sitting in the gift shop. Which leads me to think this was more due to cultural issues than copyright.

It's only a cultural issue if it's on a tee-shirt?

If the removal of the tee-shirts was the result of a cease-and-desist from Oceanic Arts, it's possible they were made aware of the tee-shirt and not the mug. "Hey, I saw someone at Whole Foods sporting our #428 New Guinea Mask." I doubt anyone at Disney would inform them that they were also selling a mug. Not while it was still in stock, anyway. ;)

Has anyone tried reaching out to Oceanic Arts on this subject?

Whatever the reasoning behind the removal of the shirt, neither it or the mug have anything to do with Grog Grotto. The mask is featured in Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar in CA, but not at the Grog Grotto here in FL. It was a bad design as far as Grog Grotto merchandise is concerned.

JustInTime

It's only a cultural issue if it's on a tee-shirt?

If the removal of the tee-shirts was the result of a cease-and-desist from Oceanic Arts, it's possible they were made aware of the tee-shirt and not the mug. "Hey, I saw someone at Whole Foods sporting our #428 New Guinea Mask." I doubt anyone at Disney would inform them that they were also selling a mug. Not while it was still in stock, anyway. ;)

Has anyone tried reaching out to Oceanic Arts on this subject?

Whatever the reasoning behind the removal of the shirt, neither it or the mug have anything to do with Grog Grotto. The mask is featured in Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar in CA, but not at the Grog Grotto here in FL. It was a bad design as far as Grog Grotto merchandise is concerned.
Perhaps the thought is that it’s a mask on the shirt but less so on a mug? It looks like just a tiki mug in that form. Just speculation though.

And it was in stock last week or so.

But you’re correct. The design never played a role in the Poly or GG.

EDIT: sorry for the bold

lazyboy97o

View attachment 561968
Licensing is not all or nothing. It’s very possible that the design was licensed for the mug and not other merchandise. Such a scenario would help explain how the shirts were approved, an assumption that since similar items were already being sold others were allowed.

Dutch Inn '76

The the design on the tshirt is pretty obviously derived from Oceanic Arts original work.

And as someone else said, it all depends on the contract, but I would be pretty surprised if Oceanic agreed to Disney creating merchandise (a shirt which is sold is not an ad) based off of their art and designs.

View attachment 559861
View attachment 559862View attachment 559863
Except that's not a unique image to "Oceanic Arts" the company. That's a derivation of popular "Tiki" or "Oceanic" imagery that's used throughout worldwide Tiki Culture. Absolutely nothing at Trader Sam's or Oceanic Arts is really original. It's all a regurgitation of century old Tiki culture started by "Don the Beachcomber" then Victor Bergeron (Trader Vic).

Chomama

They are getting access to Ohana the night before it reopens to the public as a C33 exclusive preview.

Expect more exclusive previews for C33 members in the coming months.

Early-ish July is looking up between this and fireworks (later in July).
Where does it say that in the link? I am not seeing it anywhere and usually those types of events are not publicized

flutas

Where does it say that in the link? I am not seeing it anywhere and usually those types of events are not publicized
It’s not on the link. As you said these aren’t usually publicized and they haven’t publicized the name of the program yet either afaik.

I was simply providing the link as a hint on why I was saying Ohana instead of Aloha.

TikibirdLand

Latest photos of the Great Ceremonial House rebuild at the Polynesian Resort.

Please tell me that last picture has some kind of artifacts that make the monorail look filthy. It really can't be running looking like that, can it? Looks like it's one step away from mudding at the old Riviera site.

James Alucobond

Please tell me that last picture has some kind of artifacts that make the monorail look filthy. It really can't be running looking like that, can it? Looks like it's one step away from mudding at the old Riviera site.
Eh, which photo? The one with silver, coral, or red? Red has a ton of reflections on it here and there are some on coral as well, but they don't look dirty to me unless I'm missing a shot.

Chomama

It’s not on the link. As you said these aren’t usually publicized and they haven’t publicized the name of the program yet either afaik.

I was simply providing the link as a hint on why I was saying Ohana instead of Aloha.
So there will be a new program to give certain VIP groups access to restaurants before the general public? Besides Ohana what other restaurant should we expect to see this with? Very interesting...

flutas

So there will be a new program to give certain VIP groups access to restaurants before the general public? Besides Ohana what other restaurant should we expect to see this with? Very interesting...
Not just restaurants.

C33 will be getting exclusive previews of various stuff before anyone else.

(paraphrased)

Preview Passport: You will be among the first to experience the latest offerings at our Theme Parks and Resorts. 

Chomama

Not just restaurants.

C33 will be getting exclusive previews of various stuff before anyone else.

(paraphrased)
Not sure where you got from but I do believe you may be making assumptions. Club 33 has not, at this point, been offered any previews of restaurants or hotels or shows that are yet to reopen. If that changes it will be news to members 🤷🏼‍♀️

flutas

Not sure where you got from but I do believe you may be making assumptions. Club 33 has not, at this point, been offered any previews of restaurants or hotels or shows that are yet to reopen. If that changes it will be news to members 🤷🏼‍♀️

Members better get ready for the news then? 🤷‍♂️

As I said, this is a new program for C33. There's, as currently scheduled, 30-34 (being a bit vague on purpous) days until the C33 preview, and Ohana reopening to the public.

JoeCamel

Maybe you are talking about the filthy nasty beam that has been like that from day 13 and is only clean for 10 minutes after each cleaning? The cars are clean, might need some screen cleaner.

Figment2005

That's a reflection on monorail red that is being mistaken for dirt. Also on the beam cleanliness those beams are clean. In the past the Poly decided to paint the beam that went through the hotel property. You can actually see the roller strokes in the same picture I mentioned above. It will never look new in that section because of that choice.

Rescue Ranger

They're still keeping the water features just outside the front of the lobby, correct?

I've actually liked all the changes done so far but removing the beautiful immersion of the welcoming water features out front would really be upsetting....

Weather_Lady

They're still keeping the water features just outside the front of the lobby, correct?

I've actually liked all the changes done so far but removing the beautiful immersion of the welcoming water features out front would really be upsetting....
I hope they are, too! The sight of all these pipes, and the wooden bridge-style walkway they appear to be constructing from the porte cochere to the ground-level entrance, gives me hope that the new design includes water features. But there's been no official word on it.

https://.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/polynesian-06.06-115436-3192352-1200x900.jpg

EDIT: It looks like I can't link to the photo here. However, it's a view of the "bridge" from the monorail station to the Polynesian which also shows the ground-level entrance. There are a dozen pipes of various sizes and colors sticking up from the ground (capped), quite a bit of visible digging, and a walkway at ground level with at least part of the area beneath dug out, as if in preparation for water running beneath it. However, it's possible that the current "topography" is not remotely representative of the final design and that I'm just reading too much into it. Time will tell. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom