News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

Sir_Cliff

Exactly. It’s a giant picture of maui. Next to a picture of hei hei. The light fixture is the same thing. Whatever. I don’t love it but I’m sure I will still fork over and stay there. I do really love the new yacht club rooms though so maybe I will stay there more.
If they continue to offer a mix of character-themed and non-character themed rooms across the resort, I can live with that. I think especially this and Contemporary Resort are odd choices for character overlays considering the premium price tag and appeal to mid-century modernism, but it's not my company I guess!

This is a topic for another thread, but I really wished they leaned into the vintage WDW nostalgia at the contemporary the way they leaned into vintage DL nostalgia at the Disneyland hotel.

mightynine

I don’t think it looks bad (I certainly expected worse) but I certainly don’t think it’s worth Poly prices, but those have been out of my price range for a long, long time no matter how the room looked.

That tattoo graphic does seem like it would be distracting behind the TV though.

dreday3

sorry, another one last thing. Watching this video without Moana on the television, be real, if you didn't already know this was supposed to be Moana themed, can you really call this over the top with Moana? I think not. Especially the shots of the overview of the room.(I may or may not be back with "another last thing")

I don't know if this linked correctly, sorry.

MagicRat

Sorry, backed up a few pages but couldn’t tell, are all the rooms (non DVC) going with this change or just special themed rooms?

Disney Analyst

I personally think the wallpaper is a nice way to incorporate the theme, without going crazy. The art style makes it seem subtle, as it doesn't match the CGI style of the movie.

The only thing that really made it feel like CGI Moana was the TV, and that was just because they took photos while playing the movie.

If I had never watched Moana, the room to me has a nice feel of the resort, without screaming DISNEY MOVIE.

dreday3

I personally think the wallpaper is a nice way to incorporate the theme, without going crazy. The art style makes it seem subtle, as it doesn't match the CGI style of the movie.

The only thing that really made it feel like CGI Moana was the TV, and that was just because they took photos while playing the movie.

If I had never watched Moana, the room to me has a nice feel of the resort, without screaming DISNEY MOVIE.

Yes! Watch the video I attempted (poorly) to link a couple posts above! Just click on it. It shows a room tour without the tv on. Big difference.

UNCgolf

I mostly agree with this. While I'm not a big fan of the room and wouldn't want to pay $600+ a night to stay there (still prefer the Royal Pacific version), it's not really related to the Moana incorporation. I think they could have been far more blatant -- and since Moana is Polynesian, it more or less fits anyways.

I'm less optimistic about what they're going to do with the Incredibles rooms at the Contemporary.

Animaniac93-98

About as bad as many of us expected. IP integration that isn't subtle. Not much to the "theme". Sparse and cold in its décor. The bathroom is the best part.

These deluxe makeovers have a tendency to make the moderate and value renovations look better in comparison. Those were actually big improvements over their original design, the values in particular. Now all WDW standard rooms look more or less the same and the only difference seems to be the square footage and superficial details like who's on the wallpaper.

ppete1975

I am not expressing an opinion one way or the other, but the tiki-culture can be viewed as offensive to some. Perhaps Disney wanted to play it safe?

or not, I have no idea!
they need to close trader sams then... and we know thats too big of a cash dump

ppete1975

i think my biggest issue is how loud it is... it basically yells at you. If this was mickey or even walle id feel the same way, a wall portrait of fox and the hound... id love it... but its not for an upscale resort... maybe pop or art of animation. This hotel should be wood and expensive materials, not a huge cartoon mural.

GimpYancIent

i think my biggest issue is how loud it is... it basically yells at you. If this was mickey or even walle id feel the same way, a wall portrait of fox and the hound... id love it... but its not for an upscale resort... maybe pop or art of animation. This hotel should be wood and expensive materials, not a huge cartoon mural.
Oh well, Disney can always downgrade how the resort is classified i.e. say to the moderate priced category. It does have immediate monorail access going for it, that is once the station refurb is done. I wonder how that will actually look?

MagicRat

I believe it's all non-DVC rooms across the entire resort.
I never have complained about the over IP in the parks but this change in thinking of the themed resorts seems like a bad idea to me. When I stayed at the Polynesian it combined the fun of a Hawaiian trip with the plus of being able to go to the best theme parks in the world. Use whatever themed hotel also for this mindset. The particular hotels theming combined with subtle Disney touches was the best of both worlds for me.

This seems to me to be the new regime trying to recreate the wheel. The hotels don’t need to be overtly character themed. If they want that, they should make a character hotel. Sorry Chef Mickey Buffet fans but that’s not what I want in a resort. They can keep making the property vanilla and cheap. Hopefully their margins go up and when it becomes Six Flags I can sell the three DVC resorts for a handsome profit.

This place used to have subtle fun but I fear with society making everything bland (this is from a liberal view too) we are going to have Showbiz at Disney and the non Disney people will finally be right in that this is a junk vacation destination.

UNCgolf

Bunch of photos here that I didn’t didnt see:

The tattoo wall may have had a bigger effect on my opinion of the room than I realized. The room looks significantly better in the angle where I can't see that wall. Still doesn't seem worth the price tag, although that's not entirely because of the room -- never been a huge fan of the Polynesian to begin with, especially after they changed the lobby.

Last edited:

dreday3

Excellent photo gallery of the room. Not worth the price tag. Needs to be recategorized as a moderate resort. The big sell, as I see it, would be Ohana's which is a very popular eatery (particularly if character dining is brought back).

Yes, I'm sure they will recategorize a resort on the monorail line to MK, along with a boat ride to MK and now walkability to MK as a moderate resort because of a feature wall. ;)

the.dreamfinder

It might have violated Disney’s internal cultural sensitivity guidelines for Moana. The quoted tweet comes from a person who works for Disney Consumer Products as an illustrator.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom