News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

UNCgolf

Hotel rooms don't really have "themes," as such. That's not really a thing. A hotel ROOM shouldn't look like the lobby of Jambo House.

If you go to an actual hotel in one of the locations that Disney's Orlando resorts are replicating, the rooms themselves are not themed.

This is the Four Season Ko Olina. Literally a beachfront "Polynesian" resort. The room is not themed.

View attachment 537414

This is El Tovar on the Grand Canyon. Literally a western "Wilderness Lodge." The room is not themed.

View attachment 537415

Yes, I'm aware of that. I've been to nice hotels in some of those places. But those aren't themed hotels -- they don't really make sense as a comparison to me. They're just nice hotels in a specific location. That's not what Disney resorts are; they're generally themed more to a specific era than a specific location, although not always and those things are often in conjunction. And Disney resort rooms have generally had a theme. A themed hotel should have themed rooms, IMO, otherwise it takes away from the overall hotel theme.

This is all because of the expectations Disney created in the past. If they'd never built hotels like that in the first place, no one would expect it.

Again, though, it's all personal opinion. No one is right or wrong about wanting themed rooms or modern rooms at a Disney resort.

Last edited:

Skywise

🤮
I can do without the mod 60's Austin Powers wallpaper.

The new bathrooms are nice and the furniture is... ok. But this isn't "fun" nor does it evoke being in a "Polynesian Resort". It's like being in a motel 8 at Four Seasons prices and - oh look - Moanna, Moanna, Moanna, Moanna. If you were going to respect "Moanna's World" wouldn't you want to evoke a place where she actually lived?

Honestly it looks like whomever they've got in charge of the awful Disney Store redesign they've got in charge of the resort redesigns and I'm sure if they could've gotten away with projecting Moanna instead of wall paper they would've done it so they could change marketability on a whim.

lazyboy97o

Hotel rooms don't really have "themes," as such. That's not really a thing. A hotel ROOM shouldn't look like the lobby of Jambo House.

If you go to an actual hotel in one of the locations that Disney's Orlando resorts are replicating, the rooms themselves are not themed.

This is the Four Season Ko Olina. Literally a beachfront "Polynesian" resort. The room is not themed.

View attachment 537414

This is El Tovar on the Grand Canyon. Literally a western "Wilderness Lodge." The room is not themed.

View attachment 537415
And there are derelict vacant lots on actual Main Streets. That doesn’t mean adding one to Main Street, USA would be a good choice. Themed experiences are built on romantic images.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Wilderness Lodge is themed after the Old Faithful Inn. That being said, that is it's theme. The Old Faithful Inn.

1614964310992.png

1614964379395.png

1614964422590.png

Touchdown

View attachment 537414

View attachment 537415
When it comes to Wilderness Lodge, it’s main inspiration is the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone, don’t believe me? Here’s the outside of the Inn:

1920px-Old_Faithful_Inn_main_facade.jpg

And here’s its lobby:
Old_Faithful_Inn_interior_wide.jpg

Excuse me if I assume that after driving up to the hotel and walking through the lobby that is a clear homage to another place I also expect the rooms to look very similar to the original, and they look like this:

EE82FDBB-CEEC-42A9-99D2-AD8880FFDF8B.jpeg

dreday3

Is it going to work?

Can't say that I would be all that disappointed if there was a sudden drop in Poly prices due to a lack of demand.

Despite the majority opinion here, I don't think the new room design would cause a lack of demand. The prices are another story...

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
When it comes to Wilderness Lodge, it’s main inspiration is the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone, don’t believe me? Here’s the outside of the Inn:

1920px-Old_Faithful_Inn_main_facade.jpg

And here’s its lobby:
Old_Faithful_Inn_interior_wide.jpg

Excuse me if I assume that after driving up to the hotel and walking through the lobby that is a clear homage to another place I also expect the rooms to look very similar to the original, and they look like this:

View attachment 537421
Well considering that most of their rooms look like the one below and the one you posted above looks pretty much like a Fort Wilderness cabin, I think Disney is kind of nailing the spectrum of preferences.

1614964900641.png

SpectroMan93

I think these are roughly the same rooms right? I personally love the change.

View attachment 537413
As someone who’s never stayed at the Polynesian, I was waiting for a comparison photo before making an opinion. And I would MUCH rather stay in the below room. Geez, this is what we’re fighting about? The old rooms are so drab, outdated, and save for the headboards, generic. New rooms have nice splashes of color, elegant flooring, and I think the mural is beautiful. As someone who’s stayed at Art of Animation, the comparison is laughable with no basis in reality.

Disney Analyst

As someone who’s never stayed at the Polynesian, I was waiting for a comparison photo before making an opinion. And I would MUCH rather stay in the below room. Geez, this is what we’re fighting about? The old rooms are so drab, outdated, and save for the headboards, generic. New rooms have nice splashes of color, elegant flooring, and I think the mural is beautiful. As someone who’s stayed at Art of Animation, the comparison is laughable with no basis in reality.

It is laughable, I agree. And I don’t intend to be rude or mean. But this is a major upgrade. And nothing like a motel 6 or whatever some are calling it.

I’d love to hear how those who are critical would design this so it appeals to most, but isn’t tacky, and matches what a 2021 audience expects in a resort.

hpyhnt 1000

If the flooring was a darker brown wood shade (and ideally not laminate) and non-mural walls were made a slightly warmer white (bordering on tan) I would have no complaints about these.

Glad to see that it looks like Disney may be bucking the trend of those tiny pull down beds in favor of a fold over couch. While I will miss the cute little graphic, this will be much more supportive and can hold much larger guests.
There is a certain "coldness" to the room in the pics. A warmer color temperature for the lighting would make a big difference I think, and maybe it is warmer looking in real life and it's just the camera settings making it look more daylight vs. warm white.

I like it overall. I do think it's an improvement over the beige and pale green of the old incarnation. The bathroom is much nicer, even if the overall layout still isn't ideal for multiple people to use at the same time. Could I quibble that the flower motifs are maybe a bit too cartoony in their execution or that the grayish-brown wood doesn't really match the warmer tones found elsewhere at the resort? Sure, but not enough for me to want the previous version back.

And the character integration toes the line for me. Most of it is subtle enough, I think. I get how some might find the orange mural too "loud," but unless you've watch Moana, you probably wouldn't even realize those are the characters from the movie. The one thing I really don't like is Hei Hei because he's rather in your face next to the coffee machine. But others have already said they love him being there, so... different strokes and all that.

Skywise

And I don’t intend to be rude or mean.

Of course you don't. You just snarkily call people out and blindly call "appealing to the lowest common denominator of design while simultaneously minimizing the costs of maintenance and housekeeping" a major upgrade. Well.. for Disney bean counters, I'm sure it is.

jaxonp

100% just a bunch of the older was better folks whining.

Disney Analyst

Of course you don't. You just snarkily call people out and blindly call "appealing to the lowest common denominator of design while simultaneously minimizing the costs of maintenance and housekeeping" a major upgrade. Well.. for Disney bean counters, I'm sure it is.

I don’t think I’ve done such a thing on this thread. I have mentioned that these rooms look nothing like a motel 6. I don’t think I’ve called a soul out.

I did have a nice exchange with someone on here that has an opposite opinion, and we agreed we have different tastes and expectations.

aliceismad

These rooms are beautiful.

I understand why some people might want a more generic wallpaper or art vs. MOANA!!!, but I love it all. I love the colors. I love the furnishings. I love that they look special, not something you can get somewhere else.

I appreciate that WDW is bigger than the characters, and many people dislike the injection of IP at every turn, but if they're going to do it, I think this is a pretty good application of IP in a place where it makes sense. My family absolutely loves the small murals inside the pull-down beds in the DVC rooms we've stayed in. It always felt like a special Disney touch. I love that they tried something and went bold with it here in a tasteful way.

Also for the people saying a wallpaper border would be more subtle -- have you seen any house or hotel or office made in the past 20 years with a wallpaper border? Borders are out of style, while feature walls are in. When they refurb the Poly again, feature walls may no longer be fashionable and they can easily remove it. (If you hate the HGTV-ification of the resorts, you probably hate a lot of popular interior design trends in general. Which is fair. I know architects and interior designers who hate it too. Everyone has different tastes. But certain things sell. Just like how home buyers no longer want carpet or granite. )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom